Hello and THANKS! (1st edition modules)

Discussion of DCC modules published under 1E and C&C rules by Goodman Games, as well as conversions to other systems by fans.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

TheMilford
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Hello and THANKS! (1st edition modules)

Post by TheMilford »

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I would like to use my first post to say thanks for this awesome DCC line, especially the 1st edition versions, which I just purchased 3 of at KN.

I had a few questions...

How is this new 4th ed. licensing thing affecting the previous product line? Will there still be room in the future for more 1st edition modules in the style of the first 50+ you have already done? Will the original D20/3.5 modules go out of print soon?

For the record, I do hereby solemnly swear to purchase every 1st edition product you make :D

Cheers,
D
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Hello and THANKS! (1st edition modules)

Post by tacojohn4547 »

TheMilford wrote:Hey guys,

I'm new here and I would like to use my first post to say thanks for this awesome DCC line, especially the 1st edition versions, which I just purchased 3 of at KN.

I had a few questions...

How is this new 4th ed. licensing thing affecting the previous product line? Will there still be room in the future for more 1st edition modules in the style of the first 50+ you have already done? Will the original D20/3.5 modules go out of print soon?

For the record, I do hereby solemnly swear to purchase every 1st edition product you make :D

Cheers,
D
TM,

Welcome to the Goodman Games boards! It’s a great community of friendly folks, so make yourself at home. I’m glad you’re enjoying the 1E conversions of the DCC’s. I've had a lot of fun working on them over the past three years.

The DCC product line is being transitioned from one that supports the D&D 3.5 Edition rules to one that supports the new Fourth Edition of D&D. Existing inventories of the 3.5 DCC’s are being liquidated, hence the 50%-off End is Near Sale. The 3.5 DCC’s will be going out of print as this sell-off continues, and the 3.5 DCC’s will not be reprinted. This is being done in anticipation of the forthcoming deadline for doing so as spelled out in the GSL published by Wizards. So when the 3.5 DCC’s are gone, they’re gone.

Some supply of the DCC’s will naturally continue to be available from retailers, online sellers, and of course eBay. But as time goes by, these will be more expensive to acquire when they are available at all.

While the 1E conversion modules have been very popular with the old schoolers (like me!), it doesn’t look like Goodman Games will be releasing further DCC conversions for first edition. In fact, the GSL, in its present form, precludes Goodman Games from releasing them since the DCC product line is transitioning to support 4E.

So, while I wouldn’t presume to speak for Goodman Games (I don’t), I think it’s pretty safe to say that 1E DCC conversion releases are not currently part of the Goodman Games business plan.

Now, having said that, if the terms and restrictions of the GSL were to become less stringint and restrictive for participating 3PPs, then it might be possible for 3PPs like Goodman Games to release products under multiple editions of D&D on a concurrent basis. Only time will tell if this will happen.

Anyway, welcome!

tacojohn
TheMilford
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Hello and THANKS! (1st edition modules)

Post by TheMilford »

tacojohn4547 wrote: ...Now, having said that, if the terms and restrictions of the GSL were to become less stringint and restrictive for participating 3PPs, then it might be possible for 3PPs like Goodman Games to release products under multiple editions of D&D on a concurrent basis. Only time will tell if this will happen.

Anyway, welcome!

tacojohn
Thanks for the explanation. I seriously hope WotC realize that allowing this niche market will only help them to make money and save face in the eyes of people that wrote off D&D a long time ago. It's guys like Goodman and Troll Lord that have brought me back to all of this.

Do WotC receive royalties on the licenses? I would hope so.

It would seem to me a smart thing to allow the different versions of D&D to exist mutually exclusively as opposed to killing them off in a linear fashion... in this day and age with all of the niche markets it would make sense to allow money to be made off of more than one license at a time :roll: .

I mean... people still buy new vinyl pressings of old reissued records.... as well as on other formats... if the stupid record industry knew to wise up you'd think the Wizards would too :P

Cheers,
D

Return to “DCC Modules - Alternate Systems (1E, C&C, etc.)”