Products you want from 3PP for the DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Products you want from 3PP for the DCC RPG

Post by joela »

Joseph mentioned about opening up the DCC RPG to 3PP to develop additional material.

What would you like to see from 3PPs? I'd like an Asian supplement.
What do you mean no?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Products you want from 3PP for the DCC RPG

Post by finarvyn »

Obviously what I want will be based on what we get in the rulebook, so I can only list general things that either GG or a 3PP might pursue:
  • If DCC RPG has a specific tone (humorous or serious) it would be interesting to see the other developed as well. I see some of the Appendix N books like Conan being serious while Vance's Dying Earth is more whimsical and witty. If DCC RPG is more universal, then it may cover everything.
  • I'd like to see additional class options. Joseph has already stated that the classes offered will be somewhat traditional, and that others like Ranger will likely not be included.
  • I'd like to see additional monsters. I'm assuming that if the DCC hardback is to fit a realistic length then it will likely focus on traditional Appendix N monsters, but there may be quite a few standard D&D monsters that might be left out.
That's off the top of my head. In general I like the notion that the DCC RPG will be somewhat self-contained and have a focus on the Appendix N source material. What I'd want to see added will really depend upon what the initial product looks like.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hey, what about an "Advanced" version, built on the same basic rules, but taking them much further with more options and more levels and more charts and, and...

Nah. It'd never fly.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by JRR »

Wilderlands, Wilderlands, and more Wilderlands. Did I mention Wilderlands?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

JRR wrote:Wilderlands, Wilderlands, and more Wilderlands. Did I mention Wilderlands?
Isn't it, though, locked in with C&C?
What do you mean no?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

finarvyn wrote:[*]I'd like to see additional class options. Joseph has already stated that the classes offered will be somewhat traditional, and that others like Ranger will likely not be included.
Agreed.

Super Genius Games is putting out their Pathfinder-based "Genius Guide to...." series at a very low price point (PDFs) with lots of extra classes and nifty alternative ideas for the existing classes....and you know what? i don't even PLAY Pathfinder and I buy them up! (In fact, I hope the Super Gboys do a DCC RPG conversion of their Time Thief and Shadow Assassin. Hint hint.)

Hell, I'd love to see what the DCC RPG can do with psionics...!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
finarvyn wrote: Hell, I'd love to see what the DCC RPG can do with psionics...!
Is psionics Appendix N?
What do you mean no?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Interesting edit, joela. This psionics post from Ogrepuppy…
Ogrepuppy wrote:
finarvyn wrote:[*]I'd like to see additional class options. Joseph has already stated that the classes offered will be somewhat traditional, and that others like Ranger will likely not be included.
Agreed.

Super Genius Games is putting out their Pathfinder-based "Genius Guide to...." series at a very low price point (PDFs) with lots of extra classes and nifty alternative ideas for the existing classes....and you know what? i don't even PLAY Pathfinder and I buy them up! (In fact, I hope the Super Gboys do a DCC RPG conversion of their Time Thief and Shadow Assassin. Hint hint.)

Hell, I'd love to see what the DCC RPG can do with psionics...!
…suddenly appears to have came from me! :shock:
joela wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
finarvyn wrote: Hell, I'd love to see what the DCC RPG can do with psionics...!
Is psionics Appendix N?
I find psionics interesting, but not half as much as Ogrepuppy. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

joela wrote:
JRR wrote:Wilderlands, Wilderlands, and more Wilderlands. Did I mention Wilderlands?
Isn't it, though, locked in with C&C?
I'm not sure that it's "locked in" with anyone. Troll Lord Games has their own "house" setting. The Wilderlands stuff has been done in d20 and C&C by various folks. I think there are/were a couple of different variants of this setting at one point.

My memory is vague so I'll probably drop the ball on my fact-check roll, but I'm petty sure the original Judges Guild Wilderlands was done in d20 (Necromancer Gmes?) and "Majestic Wilderlands" (Rob Conley) was done with C&C. They are similar but not exactly the same. Sorry if I messed up any names. I should google first, post second....
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

finarvyn wrote: I find psionics interesting, but not half as much as Ogrepuppy. :P
You, err, find me interesting?

....I'm married, but flattered.

But married.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
finarvyn wrote: I find psionics interesting, but not half as much as Ogrepuppy. :P
You, err, find me interesting?

....I'm married, but flattered.

But married.
I'm married, too. Is that a problem?

By the way, physics majors often butcher the English language when they post on boards. Just a FYI. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

finarvyn wrote:My memory is vague so I'll probably drop the ball on my fact-check roll, but I'm petty sure the original Judges Guild Wilderlands was done in d20 (Necromancer Gmes?) and "Majestic Wilderlands" (Rob Conley) was done with C&C. They are similar but not exactly the same. Sorry if I messed up any names. I should google first, post second....
James Mishler use Castles & Crusades, I use Swords & Wizardry a clone of the 1974 version of D&D plus selected rules from the supplements.

My license with Judges Guild limits me to presenting my Majestic Wilderlands. I can do a CSIO or or a CSWE but it they would have to be the versions created for my campaign. While there are common elements it is a different setting than the boxed set. I think people would be more interested in an adaptation of original Wilderlands than my own version. For that they need to talk to Bob Bledsaw Jr and Judges Guild.

I think in many respects the original Wilderlands would be an excellent setting for the DCC RPG.

With that being said I am considering doing something along the lines of my Points of Lights material via the 3rd party publishing program mentioned by Joseph Goodman. The advantage of this is that I can exploit the assumptions about magic and cosmology inherent in the rulebook.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

robertsconley wrote:James Mishler use Castles & Crusades, I use Swords & Wizardry a clone of the 1974 version of D&D plus selected rules from the supplements.
Argh. Sorry, Rob. I knew I had it messed up, somehow. :oops: In any case, all of the Wilderlands products I've seen for any version seem to be pretty well put together.
robertsconley wrote:I think in many respects the original Wilderlands would be an excellent setting for the DCC RPG.
I love the original Wilderlands setting, and agree that iit has a great feel that seems like a good DCC fit. (At least, the part I played the most. I tended to spend time focusing on the CSIO region but occasionally had characters wander over to CSWE. I really didn't spend too much time looking at the later products since I was so busy using the early ones.)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

A vehicle supplement for ice yachts, sky galleons, rockets etc. (if that kind of stuff is not in the rpg.) maybe with simple pursuit and combat rules.
Sean Wills
Beedo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Beedo »

For me, I would say Wilderlands-style supplements, but not necessarily an update of the Judge's Guild IP.

Tales from the Dying Earth, for instance, is full of gonzo sci-fi fantasy hex crawling action that would lend itself really well to a JG-style treatment.

I try to run as free-form a game as possible these days (hexcrawls and sandboxes and megadungeons) and really just look for offerings that are low on plot, big on evocative settings or site-based adventures and let the story piece emerge through play.

Return to “DCC RPG General”