Anonycon Playtest Report

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Anonycon Playtest Report

Post by goodmangames »

For those who are interested, Tavis does a great job summing up his playtest games:

http://muleabides.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... nt-part-1/
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Anonycon Playtest Report

Post by finarvyn »

Wow! What an awesome write-up! :shock:

If possible, my interest in the game has just gone up. :wink:

The more-random philosophy has some great ramifications and I think my group's style will fit this quite nicely!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Very interesting.

From what I'm reading, this could be a RGP that might creep in on my C&C time.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Yes, it seems to share a similar design philosophy to C&C so I can see it cutting into my current C&C campaign as well.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

I'm still working on the second part of the Anonycon posts - wanting to respond to one of the commenters there set me off on a long tangent about RPG system theory - but in the meantime I have a writeup of the latest playtest where we used a 3.5 adventure with the DCC RPG rules.
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

One of the playtesters for our last NYC run wrote a little about it at his blog Dungeonskull Mountain:
I think people who are writing the game off as yet another retroclone are going to be very surprised with the final product. Mechanically, DCC was satisfyingly wild, and felt like a strange (and wonderful) amalgamation of classic Dungeons & Dragons and my beloved Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. In feel, it's much more like pulp fantasy or sword & sorcery than "vanilla" D&D. Magic (which followers of this blog know is one the areas where I feel D&D could use some extra spice) is refreshingly dangerous and exciting, and many of the concepts around which DCC's magic system is built mirror my preferences strongly.
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

[quote="Tavis"]One of the playtesters for our last NYC run wrote a little about it at his blog Dungeonskull Mountain:

NDA? You mean Goodman's taking testers?!? :shock:
What do you mean no?
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

Interesting, but at least in my experience (mostly with Rolemaster), having critical hits (and misses) is fun for just doing one shots, but tends to make campaigns very short lived. (Characters in Call of Cthulhu lasted longer than in Rolemaster)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Tavis wrote:One of the playtesters for our last NYC run wrote a little about it at his blog Dungeonskull Mountain:
I think people who are writing the game off as yet another retroclone are going to be very surprised with the final product. Mechanically, DCC was satisfyingly wild, and felt like a strange (and wonderful) amalgamation of classic Dungeons & Dragons and my beloved Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. In feel, it's much more like pulp fantasy or sword & sorcery than "vanilla" D&D. Magic (which followers of this blog know is one the areas where I feel D&D could use some extra spice) is refreshingly dangerous and exciting, and many of the concepts around which DCC's magic system is built mirror my preferences strongly.
An awesome description of the game. 8)
joela wrote:NDA? You mean Goodman's taking testers?!? :shock:
If you read some of the other threads, there have been some games at various game conventions for a while now. They are being run by a small, elite crew who have had access to the current playtest docs for some time. No new news in that.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

finarvyn wrote: If you read some of the other threads, there have been some games at various game conventions for a while now. They are being run by a small, elite crew who have had access to the current playtest docs for some time.
In 2008, a crack commando unit was imprisoned by a game system they didn't design. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security GSL to the OSR underground. Today, still wanted by publishers, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can play the DCC RPG.

*cue explosions*
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by JRR »

I love it when a plan comes together.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

JRR wrote:I love it when a plan comes together.
One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite characters of all time! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”