Adventure Hook: Incident at Dor Lomund

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Adventure Hook: Incident at Dor Lomund

Post by King of Elfland »

So I picked up DCC a few weeks ago and have been reading published modules furiously in preparation for our first campaign. As I noted elsewhere on this forum, we'll be doing "Carnival of the Damned" for our funnel. And as I've already drawn lots of inspiration from the published material, I've worked up a hook for my own first adventure which I thought I'd share here:

Located on the outskirts of the monolith infested Highlands, the town of Dor Lomund has an ancient and well-deserved reputation for being the site of strange happenings. For generations, folk have gone missing, many claiming they were abducted by fey creatures. Though descriptions vary, these accounts often portray the fey in question as small, hairless beings with oval heads, large, elongated eyes, and tiny mouths. Sometimes they carry strange wands or tools. Others, while not having recollections of abductions per se, report periods of "missing time," lasting from a few minutes to several days. They then reappear at their homes, disoriented.

Furthermore, locals often report strange lights in the night sky. Some even claim to have seen glowing chariots or ships flying across the sky, though various other explanations (like dragons) are offered as well. Recently, however, in addition to these phenomena, strange geometric designs have appeared overnight in the wheat fields outside town. Since no footprints lead into or out of said fields, it is presumed magic, or at least flying beings, were involved somehow.

Then, a couple weeks past, a large number of townsfolk claimed to see a large object streak across the sky and crash in the fields a few miles outside town. The next day gossip in the taverns maintained that a strange vessel had indeed crashed and that small fey folk bodies in strange suits were scattered around the wreckage. But soon thereafter the local Sheriff, Roswell, announced his "official" finding. There was, indeed, a crash, but it was simply a dirigible of the kind used by the gnome artificers of the clockwork city of Sturbrin, far to the northwest. The bodies were simply dead gnomes. Case closed.

But tongues continued to wag and many people suspect a cover-up. So Jadawon, a local sage who moved to Dor Lomund to study its strange happenings, has hired the intrepid heroes to investigate......

I've sketched out the full plot and complications and created some new monsters for the adventure (which is so easy in DCC), so I'm looking forward to writing it all up. But since it will be for level 4 characters or so, I have some time to work it all out. Already found some great maps online that I can crib for my purposes. And yes, there is a secret underground base....
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Adventure Hook: Incident at Dor Lomund

Post by finarvyn »

Sounds like it has the potential to be an awesome adventure. I may snag some of this for my campaign. ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Re: Adventure Hook: Incident at Dor Lomund

Post by King of Elfland »

Finished writing it up last night. So hopefully the characters will survive to experience it. We run our first funnel in a couple weeks...
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult

Return to “DCC RPG General”