DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Marzio Muscedere wrote:Limited edition gold foil DCC demon-skull logo cover!!! Why? Because I cant find one of these anywhere. I might actually find the holy grail before I find one of these.
Then you could sell it to buy a gold foil cover in the aftermarket... Might just about cover one.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Great ideas, everyone! Keep 'em coming.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Marzio Muscedere wrote:Limited edition gold foil DCC demon-skull logo cover!!! Why? Because I cant find one of these anywhere. I might actually find the holy grail before I find one of these.
That's the point of the limited edition. But I would be happy to see the demon-skull logo cover too. How about doing it in silver this time? Or bone white. Or gore red. Or black as the Judge's soul.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
That's the point of the limited edition. But I would be happy to see the demon-skull logo cover too. How about doing it in silver this time? Or bone white. Or gore red. Or black as the Judge's soul.
Black leather cover, with the skull logo simply pressed into the leather, no added colors or effects... 8)
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Yes...any of those are a great idea. That way it will also distinguish itself from the original limited edition one.
fritsk
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Speldorado

Post by fritsk »

Some more thoughts 8)
I recently got the Jeff Easley version.
As a new ltd.ed would basically have the same content I would be interested in it if it came with some nice bling (cool cover, slipcase etc).
However, my interest would increase a lot if it came with some extra content.
This does not have to be new content. It could be existing DCC content with a new cover, or old content converted to DCC (again with a nice cover).
Miker601
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Modern Myths

Post by Miker601 »

I'd love an Erol Otus cover designed to look like a third in the progression of the D&D basic/expert sets.
I think would send a great message about what DCCRPG is designed to be.

As an aside I'd love the art folios from the past printings made available for sale on the website.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 128548 times
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

FirstEdition cover with the world tour poster images plastered on there like old timey travel trunk stamps.
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

This is quite ambitious, I admit...
A wrap around cover by Doug Kovacs depicting Appendix N authors and early RPG creators, writers and artists as members of a large 0 level adventure party. The background would be a fantasy adventure setting, possibly inspired by a significant early D&D module. Goodman Games could involve gamers in the project by soliciting fans to enter names and/or vote on who is to be featured in the painting.

Inside the end pages would be a single color reproduction of the painting with a small area for a Who's Who list. Although, the area could be left blank and Goodman Games could have an ID contest. Correctly guess 95% or more of the people featured in the painting and get rewarded a limited edition foil printed sticker signed by Doug. Everyone else gets a regular, unsigned sticker.

It would be awesome if Jon Peterson could write an article for the rule book appendix describing the influence each of the authors had on various designers, writers and artists. Although, this would make identification easier, without photos it would still be a challenge.

Otherwise, I'd love to see the demon skull cover reprinted, but in copper not silver...or PINK! My daughter would love that. it's her favorite color (and it matches Jobe's convention hair).

I also agree with numerous others who have mentioned including a few new 0 level funnels.
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

I forgot to say, the sticker would fit in the blank area of the end page and lists the names of all in the painting.

Post contest, the sticker could be slipped into new copies of the book being shipped.
Info could be available online for others to print out the sticker after the contest ends.
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Please redo the really uninspiring gods list for the cleric and add one small paragraph per deity.

If you really redo it and add some kick arse Gods.....redo the front cover to show the gods standing around a game board moving pieces on it that look like player characters.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Gameogre wrote:Please redo the really uninspiring gods list for the cleric and add one small paragraph per deity.

If you really redo it and add some kick arse Gods.....redo the front cover to show the gods standing around a game board moving pieces on it that look like player characters.
Yes a redo of the gods would be great. You could drop the 0 level adventure to make room. This is one of the most complained about parts of the whole book. It would keep me from having to carry around extra books on gods and patrons.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Updated Foil edition cover (this time in silver) with errata, index, etc. I may even buy two...
sprang
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Labyrinth

Post by sprang »

I could use some kind of "road signs" in the spells section. When I'm flipping through looking for a specific spell, I'm not sure which way to go. If there was a header reading "Cleric Level 2 Spells" I think it would be clearer that level 3 cleric spells are toward the back and wizard spells are to the front. Thanks!
fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

I would like to see:

1) thumb index or indentions like a dictionary or old Bible with the chapters printed on it. Also, a division between clerical and wizard spells.

2) better index

3) more patrons

4) more monsters

5) a different 0 level adventure

6) Erol Otis, Peter Mullen, Gary Chalk (Lone Wolf), Ian McCaig (Fighting Fantasy), or Barry Windsor-Smith (70s Conan) cover. The last three would be really neat because they would still be old school but not just DnD artists.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

fuel wrote:
6) Erol Otis, Peter Mullen, Gary Chalk (Lone Wolf), Ian McCaig (Fighting Fantasy), or Barry Windsor-Smith (70s Conan) cover. The last three would be really neat because they would still be old school but not just DnD artists.
I like the idea of a new and different artist for the cover. Getting a non D&D artist might be the easiest way to do something different.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Gameogre wrote:Please redo the really uninspiring gods list for the cleric and add one small paragraph per deity.

Sweet idea!
A few more, or different patrons would be nice too.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

fuel wrote:
Barry Windsor-Smith (70s Conan) cover.
Oh man...A Windsor-Smith cover would be unbelievable! Something like this, but with Hugh on top of the pile!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 598e5e.jpg
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

DM Cojo wrote:
fuel wrote:
Barry Windsor-Smith (70s Conan) cover.
Oh man...A Windsor-Smith cover would be unbelievable! Something like this, but with Hugh on top of the pile!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 598e5e.jpg
NICE!!!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Alphabetical spells listing.

It was the first thing I saw in 3e that I really appreciated.

It was the biggest (well, almost only) disappointment about DCC when I first saw it.

fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

Man, maybe we will get lucky and the BWS cover will happen. That would be so awesome. AFAIK, he has never drawn anything for a RPG. Maybe I am wrong. He was so popular in the 70s with his work in Conan that I think he would be a natural fit for DCC without being one of the same old artists. I know I will catch some flak for this but I could go the rest of my life without seeing another lifeless Easley, Elmore, or Caldwell painting.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

fuel wrote:I know I will catch some flak for this but I could go the rest of my life without seeing another lifeless Easley, Elmore, or Caldwell painting.
Easley I can appreciate generally, but I'm with you on Elmore and Caldwell — very well developed art, but somehow lifeless, frozen, and cookie-cutter looking.

fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

Those three guys are excellent artists and are highly skilled but their action seems forced, if there is any action in their compositions at all. It reminds me of Boris Vallejo versus a Frank Frazetta painting. Vallejo's action scenes look like you propped someone up in that position where Frazetta's captured the fluidity of motion. Frazetta's work was much more dynamic.
RexMundi
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Rockheads Comics and Games, Colleseum Games, Noble Knight, Friends Hobby

Post by RexMundi »

Spiral bound, lay flat with transparent covers that can handle official DCC art inserts so folks can customize their covers yet still remain official with nifty DCC stuff that can get autographed etc etc ...... ie: GM screen could slide in and be the Front Cover until needed...... etc etc .....

~Rex
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

From the front page:
DCC RPG fourth printing – The Kickstarter for the fourth printing of the Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG rulebook is coming soon! This will be your chance to get the great new covers hot off the press (here’s a hint…one of the new covers involves silver foil, and the other is by an artist whose name rhymes with “Schmeter Cullen”). Plus a new short adventure by Harley Stroh! The stretch goals will involve many of the cool suggestions made on our forums. Watch this space for more updates!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “DCC RPG General”