Monster # attacks

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Monster # attacks

Post by JRR »

I've noticed that some iconic monsters that normally have multiple attacks only have one attack in DCC. For instance, the gargoyle has "Atk claw +4 melee." Shouldn't gargoyles have more attacks? Or am I still stuck in AD&D mode? That's just one critter out of many I've found. It's simple enough for me to houserule gargoyles to have 4 attacks, I suppose. Having to do that for more than a few monsters will be a pain, though.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Monster # attacks

Post by MrHemlocks »

To go along with what your saying about monster attacks I also have a question. What does it mean by monster attack die 2d20? Dose that mean it gets two attacks or one attack but using the more powerful attack dice?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

MrHemlocks wrote:To go along with what your saying about monster attacks I also have a question. What does it mean by monster attack die 2d20? Dose that mean it gets two attacks or one attack but using the more powerful attack dice?
It's their action die, thus 2d20 means the monster can attack twice, with d20 each time.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Action dice show you how many attacks they get. Which for one thing also means that if they have a bunch of Action dice, they can give up some or all of them to extra movement instead. So for example, a manticore can move really fast at a target (three times base move; more than most characters could hope to outrun) and still make an attack!

See page 77.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

The gargoyle indeed has a single attack per the game rules.

This being said, the DCC game book proposes something in its pages that I think is worth mentioning: using monsters that the players (not the PCs, the players!) do not know. This brings a measure of mystery and fear into the game. I recommend following that advice. Sure, you can include orcs and gargoyles into your game and it will be fine. But, since you're into a new system anyway, might as well take that opportunity to introduce new monsters while you're at it. The players will not know where to dance.

In this instance, you can use the gargoyle stats in the DCC book, but call the creature something different that fits your game. The fact that the stats don't match the old D&D stats will bug you less, incidentally :)
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “DCC RPG General”