Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by rredmond »

Heh heh, good memory, that was the first MU I think I ever played! Maybe one of the first times I played D&D that wasn't 1E and/or OD&D.
Bobjester wrote:...
Currently, I only have 4 of the 5e Fifth Edition Fantasy modules, a couple of DCC for 3.5 (Idylls of the Rat King, etc.), but I splurged on the DCC RPG hardback rules and 10 of those modules...
I enjoy their 1E modules, so good! I admit to enjoying Harley Stroh's stuff no matter the edition, and I'm pretty much a numbskull with any system newer than 1E. :D
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Brookhurst Hobbies

Post by Starbeard »

Bobjester wrote:I started reading Tolkien in 6th grade. I finished the Silmarillion in 7th. I still think highly of my school librarian who recommended those books to me and started me down this path that I still refer to as a hobby. (I don't know if many D&D gamers still refer to it as a hobby...)
FIJAGDH all the way, man! Gotta keep that dying torch alive.
Bobjester wrote:I love the DCC RPG, but my players really hate the idea of 0 level funnels, spells misfiring and corrupting magic. :evil:
After hearing about funnels, the first funnel I ran wasn't even for DCC. I ran Tomb of Horrors and gave everyone a bunch of 1st through 3rd level characters drawn from a pile, all with random equipment too. It turned out to be so successful that I did it two more times before I ever got a chance to run a proper funnel in DCC.

I also started creeping DCC spell effects into my B/X campaign. One guy wished for extra spells from a sketchy wishing stone, so the caveat I made was that it would always be a random spell from the DCC rulebook, rolled at a random level of casting, and after the first use each day, every use after that would cause corruption (I didn't tell him that, or that he could do it multiple times a day in the first place, he just figured it out eventually). It became his big red panic button, and it actually ended up creating some of the most memorably hilarious and epic situations in the whole campaign. Another player had a magic item that allowed some patron spells, complete with deity disapproval and all that, and that ended up being really fun for everyone too.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Starbeard wrote:
Bobjester wrote:I started reading Tolkien in 6th grade. I finished the Silmarillion in 7th. I still think highly of my school librarian who recommended those books to me and started me down this path that I still refer to as a hobby. (I don't know if many D&D gamers still refer to it as a hobby...)
FIJAGDH all the way, man! Gotta keep that dying torch alive.
LOL! Another familiar name from the DF! :)
Starbeard wrote:
Bobjester wrote:I love the DCC RPG, but my players really hate the idea of 0 level funnels, spells misfiring and corrupting magic. :evil:
After hearing about funnels, the first funnel I ran wasn't even for DCC. I ran Tomb of Horrors and gave everyone a bunch of 1st through 3rd level characters drawn from a pile, all with random equipment too. It turned out to be so successful that I did it two more times before I ever got a chance to run a proper funnel in DCC.

I also started creeping DCC spell effects into my B/X campaign. One guy wished for extra spells from a sketchy wishing stone, so the caveat I made was that it would always be a random spell from the DCC rulebook, rolled at a random level of casting, and after the first use each day, every use after that would cause corruption (I didn't tell him that, or that he could do it multiple times a day in the first place, he just figured it out eventually). It became his big red panic button, and it actually ended up creating some of the most memorably hilarious and epic situations in the whole campaign. Another player had a magic item that allowed some patron spells, complete with deity disapproval and all that, and that ended up being really fun for everyone too.
I've got a different version of 5e called "D&D5 Classic" that I've been messing around with. Its the core 5e rules only with 1e races & classes - no souped up 5e subclasses. I don't know who made it, but I've seen a few other homebrewed PDFs out there for 1e (AD&D3 and Unearthed Arcana with specific additions) that matches the style & inclusion of 1e art, so I know someone has been busy the last few years... 8)

Anyhoo, I really like the 5e Warlock class, so I thought DCC's magic system - replete with corruption - would fit that class nicely.

I showed this to my players, but again - no one has the nuts to try it. :twisted:
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

rredmond wrote:Heh heh, good memory, that was the first MU I think I ever played! Maybe one of the first times I played D&D that wasn't 1E and/or OD&D.
Bobjester wrote:...
Currently, I only have 4 of the 5e Fifth Edition Fantasy modules, a couple of DCC for 3.5 (Idylls of the Rat King, etc.), but I splurged on the DCC RPG hardback rules and 10 of those modules...
I enjoy their 1E modules, so good! I admit to enjoying Harley Stroh's stuff no matter the edition, and I'm pretty much a numbskull with any system newer than 1E. :D
LOL! Harley's stuff is really good! :) You've played RC D&D before, Ron! :lol: I used the Rules Cyclopedia for our PBEM D&D games. It wasn't too different than BX or Holmes at low levels, but things got a little trickier for me at higher levels. Unfortunately, we never got past level 2 or 3, IIRC.

I have to admit that the biggest learning curve for me was getting used to 3e/3.5. The only reason I jumped into 4e in Ft. Collins & 5e back here in the Good Life State was just to start playing any edition of D&D again, but at the FLGS without doing a specific search for 1e/2e/BX/0e players.

The group has shifted constantly over three years, so now most of the 3.5 and 5e only players are mostly gone, but there are three of us who are holding the group together, inviting new players in, etc., and all of us have a deep appreciation for old school style gaming.

Making the switch to 1e/2e is still a big step though. Its mostly getting everyone onboard for that that is the major hurdle.

One player is running my old 2e Ravenloft material with 5e rules, and I'm currently running Ghosts of Saltmarsh (5e) once a month to our monthly con event with D&D5 "Classic" rules, and GMG's "Into the Borderlands" every weekend using standard 5e rules. I'd love to see how either one of those campaigns would play out using DCC rules, however. :twisted:
rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Meeplemart

Post by rytrasmi »

Hello Everyone!

My name is Ryan and I'm from the frozen northern wastes, aka, Toronto.

My brother and I started with the basic red box when I was 10 or 11. Remember that white crayon you had to use to fill in the numbers on the dice?!

The old modules I have are a mishmash of various versions of D&D and AD&D. We were poor and young so we bought whatever looked cool and was cheap.

My DDC origin story: Browsing the local game store, I stumbled across the big rule book and the ART (!) brought back memories of those old modules and the mysteries found within. I was immediately hooked.

Cheers!
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Ryan! Good story!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

rytrasmi wrote:Hello Everyone!

My name is Ryan and I'm from the frozen northern wastes, aka, Toronto.
Nice to meet another Torontonian.

Open table event: https://www.facebook.com/events/692263931295607/
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rytrasmi »

Likewise. I go to the Thursday evening game at S & B (can't do Wed.). Maybe I will see you around there!
Raven_Crowking wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am
Nice to meet another Torontonian.

Open table event: https://www.facebook.com/events/692263931295607/
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

Hi all-

New to DCC and RPGs in general here. Having never played anything tabletop, I was attracted to DCC as a system because it's derivative of old-school speculative fiction rather than carrying on the tropes of other tabletop systems, and because the funnel makes it easy to run a game with a bunch of other first-timers without wasting time with character creation. I've now run a few sessions as a GM on fantasygrounds in addition to playing in person, and I love the spirit and simplicity of the system and the freedom it allows a judge. I've already done a custom cleric deity, some encounters and a setting to go with it, and a Harold-Shea-based tweaked interpretation of the magic system that I'm looking forward to sharing at some point and getting some feedback on.

Before Judging for the first time I did my homework (listened to a bunch of Spellburn and all of The Iron Tavern podcast, read some PBPs here and elsewhere, and got myself the rules and some modules) but I've had to do internet archaeology to find the active, current DCC community... did it really get wiped out with Google +? The subreddit is slow and this site is slower (although it has been less so since the update). If I want to read/talk about DCC between sessions, is there somewhere else I should be looking or is everyone just waiting for this forum to heat up again? Is there a discord somewhere? (I hear that's where all the hip kids go these days)

-Judge Yossarian
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Judge_Yossarian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm Hi all-

New to DCC and RPGs in general here. Having never played anything tabletop, I was attracted to DCC as a system because it's derivative of old-school speculative fiction rather than carrying on the tropes of other tabletop systems, and because the funnel makes it easy to run a game with a bunch of other first-timers without wasting time with character creation. I've now run a few sessions as a GM on fantasygrounds in addition to playing in person, and I love the spirit and simplicity of the system and the freedom it allows a judge. I've already done a custom cleric deity, some encounters and a setting to go with it, and a Harold-Shea-based tweaked interpretation of the magic system that I'm looking forward to sharing at some point and getting some feedback on.

Before Judging for the first time I did my homework (listened to a bunch of Spellburn and all of The Iron Tavern podcast, read some PBPs here and elsewhere, and got myself the rules and some modules) but I've had to do internet archaeology to find the active, current DCC community... did it really get wiped out with Google +? The subreddit is slow and this site is slower (although it has been less so since the update). If I want to read/talk about DCC between sessions, is there somewhere else I should be looking or is everyone just waiting for this forum to heat up again? Is there a discord somewhere? (I hear that's where all the hip kids go these days)

-Judge Yossarian
Unfortunately, yes - a large portion of the "activeness" was decimated and/or scattered by the loss of G+. There are communities on MeWe, Discord, Reddit, this forum, and probably a few of which I'm am not aware. Also unfortunate is the fact that he most active tends to be on Facebook.
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

Jim Skach wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:30 am
Unfortunately, yes - a large portion of the "activeness" was decimated and/or scattered by the loss of G+. There are communities on MeWe, Discord, Reddit, this forum, and probably a few of which I'm am not aware. Also unfortunate is the fact that he most active tends to be on Facebook.
That is a shame. Maybe someone should start a PBP funnel to get things going here again? Crazy that there hasn't been one on here in over a year.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
clarkembers
Gongfarmer
FLGS: FLGS

Post by clarkembers »

Hello, I am new to your forum as of today.. I am from Alberta, Canada. I am really happy to be a member of this forum. thanks.
NauticalSoup
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Kingston Gaming Nexus

Post by NauticalSoup »

Greetings. Glad to see this forum is back up, it was down when I first started learning to play DCC. Shame about the splitting of the community, it's a great game that thrives on homebrewed rules and that really shines when you can see what other groups are doing and thinking.

I didn't see a rules thread, so I'll ask here: I made a blog post with an overly bloated session recap kinda intended for my players, but is there someplace on here I can post it or link to it? Is linking allowed? Kinda doubles as a review of Sailors on the Starless Sea as well.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

NauticalSoup wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm I didn't see a rules thread, so I'll ask here: I made a blog post with an overly bloated session recap kinda intended for my players, but is there someplace on here I can post it or link to it? Is linking allowed? Kinda doubles as a review of Sailors on the Starless Sea as well.
Welcome!

There is a Rules Discussion section, if that's what you mean: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=72

And linking to outside things is fine, as long as it's relevant. :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
NauticalSoup
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Kingston Gaming Nexus

Post by NauticalSoup »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm
NauticalSoup wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm I didn't see a rules thread, so I'll ask here: I made a blog post with an overly bloated session recap kinda intended for my players, but is there someplace on here I can post it or link to it? Is linking allowed? Kinda doubles as a review of Sailors on the Starless Sea as well.
Welcome!

There is a Rules Discussion section, if that's what you mean: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=72

And linking to outside things is fine, as long as it's relevant. :mrgreen:
Ah I phrased that question poorly - I meant 'Forum Rules' not game rules. Is there a specific spot I should post my recap?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The General forum would probably make the most sense, unless you had a lot of Judge-related commentary like things for Judges to keep in mind when running that adventure, in which case the Judges' Forum might make more sense...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

NauticalSoup wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm Greetings. Glad to see this forum is back up, it was down when I first started learning to play DCC. Shame about the splitting of the community, it's a great game that thrives on homebrewed rules and that really shines when you can see what other groups are doing and thinking.

I didn't see a rules thread, so I'll ask here: I made a blog post with an overly bloated session recap kinda intended for my players, but is there someplace on here I can post it or link to it? Is linking allowed? Kinda doubles as a review of Sailors on the Starless Sea as well.
Welcome NauticalSoup. I'm fairly new here too, and joined right before the forums went dark for several weeks. I had no idea what happened, nor am I aware of any community split. I'm just here to learn about my new favorite (not D&D, but D&D) RPG, and pick up any pointers and shortcuts that I can.

I feel very comfortable with the DCC rules, and had my players roll up several 0-level characters, but I can't get the whole group to play it, as they are very resistant to playing any game of D&D where possible character death is a daily thing, especially where the characters rolled up are little better skilled than farmers. IOW, they just don't 'get it' how that can be a fun, character building experience. :?

I'll keep an eye out for your session recaps. 8)
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Brookhurst Hobbies

Post by Starbeard »

I think the 'community split' might be referring to the closing of Google Plus, which was the central place for discussing DCC.

Welcome aboard, NauticalSoup, and thanks for posting your recap! I think recaps are even more important for DCC than most other systems. Some of its rules are so loosely defined that it's always nice to hear what others are doing with them.

On the problem of getting other players involved, it might be nice to start a discussion on ways to make the lethality and randomness of the game more palatable for players. Maybe they'd be more interested if they started as a small party of 3rd level PCs, but still played adventures suited for larger parties 2-3 levels lower? Or maybe a change of genre by using Mutant Crawl Classics or Brooklyn Beasts would put them in a different frame of mind, away from D&D and heroic fantasy? Or, even something as straightforward as starting their 1st level PCs off with lots of extra hit points, and making wizard corruption curable. Lots of possibilities.
rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rytrasmi »

Bobjester wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 am ... but I can't get the whole group to play it, as they are very resistant to playing any game of D&D where possible character death is a daily thing, especially where the characters rolled up are little better skilled than farmers. IOW, they just don't 'get it' how that can be a fun, character building experience. :?
Arg! Now I want to yell at your friends "But that's why it's so fun! Your guys die in pathetic and glorious ways and the survivors earn amazing stories to tell!" Have you tried using pre-gen characters? Maybe the act of rolling up a character triggers their protective instincts. Toss them each 4 pre-gens with dorky names and maybe they won't care so much?

I have a player who is kind of like this. She loses a couple of hit points and suddenly gets very cautious and has been known to ask why this world doesn't have piles of healing potions laying about. Playing a cleric she managed to find a unique solution: she converted her hireling to her religion and part of that religion, apparently, is when the master dies the acolyte takes her place and her name. Hasn't happened yet, but I expect it will soften the blow if/when it does.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

rytrasmi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:45 pm
Bobjester wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 am ... but I can't get the whole group to play it, as they are very resistant to playing any game of D&D where possible character death is a daily thing, especially where the characters rolled up are little better skilled than farmers. IOW, they just don't 'get it' how that can be a fun, character building experience. :?
Arg! Now I want to yell at your friends "But that's why it's so fun! Your guys die in pathetic and glorious ways and the survivors earn amazing stories to tell!" Have you tried using pre-gen characters? Maybe the act of rolling up a character triggers their protective instincts. Toss them each 4 pre-gens with dorky names and maybe they won't care so much?
:lol: Yes, I had some 0 level pre-gens available - dorky names and all, while two players rolled up their own quartets of 0 level characters, but that is as far as we got. One player was eager to try it and called the other one a wuss for not wanting to.
rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rytrasmi »

Bobjester wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:11 pm :lol: Yes, I had some 0 level pre-gens available - dorky names and all, while two players rolled up their own quartets of 0 level characters, but that is as far as we got. One player was eager to try it and called the other one a wuss for not wanting to.
I fluked out with a new group recently. I told some D&D friends zero about DCC except that it was D&D-like and a one-shot. We played They Served Brandolyn Red with pre-gens. Brandy is a genius module because of the families and set up. I assigned their families randomly (there are family rumors) and showed them the family tree and I think at that point it did not feel like D&D anymore. Plus, the opening scene is crazy amazing so that helps. Just putting this out there in case it helps bring in new converts. I'm a huge fan of Brandy and it's a good gateway.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

rytrasmi wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:00 am
Bobjester wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:11 pm :lol: Yes, I had some 0 level pre-gens available - dorky names and all, while two players rolled up their own quartets of 0 level characters, but that is as far as we got. One player was eager to try it and called the other one a wuss for not wanting to.
I fluked out with a new group recently. I told some D&D friends zero about DCC except that it was D&D-like and a one-shot. We played They Served Brandolyn Red with pre-gens. Brandy is a genius module because of the families and set up. I assigned their families randomly (there are family rumors) and showed them the family tree and I think at that point it did not feel like D&D anymore. Plus, the opening scene is crazy amazing so that helps. Just putting this out there in case it helps bring in new converts. I'm a huge fan of Brandy and it's a good gateway.
:) I'll have to look that module up!
DivineWannabe
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Gift of Games

Post by DivineWannabe »

My name is Brent, and I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago.
I have been an RPG player for over 30 years, but just got introduced to DCC.
I love it! The flexibility and "rules light" flavor makes it my new game system of choice!
The Divine Wannabe
Creative Purveyor of Brain Vomit
Recent Convert to DCC
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

DivineWannabe wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm My name is Brent, and I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago.
I have been an RPG player for over 30 years, but just got introduced to DCC.
I love it! The flexibility and "rules light" flavor makes it my new game system of choice!
which northern suburbs?
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

Welcome Brent!

Return to “DCC RPG General”