Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by herecomethejudge »

Hi, DCC fan in northern New England.

I'd heard of D&D in the 80s but never played it -- didn't know anyone who had a set. My first exposure was in the 90s, at a band practice. A guest vocalist was big into Ravenloft and gave us pregens to play while he DMed. FUN!

Following this, I tried getting into D&D over the next few years, collected some of the books, etc. It just seemed so damn complicated and self-serious, so eventually I moved on and sold or gave away my manuals.

Flash forward to this fall, when I stumbled across a random copy of the DCC rulebook in a Books-A-Million. WOW. I liked everything about the aesthetic, the simplicity, the fun of it. It seemed like taking all the good parts of D&D while throwing out all the pretentious stuff. Been playing it with friends over the last few months and really enjoying it, plan to keep playing it for the foreseeable future.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

herecomethejudge wrote:Hi, DCC fan in northern New England.

I'd heard of D&D in the 80s but never played it -- didn't know anyone who had a set. My first exposure was in the 90s, at a band practice. A guest vocalist was big into Ravenloft and gave us pregens to play while he DMed. FUN!

Following this, I tried getting into D&D over the next few years, collected some of the books, etc. It just seemed so damn complicated and self-serious, so eventually I moved on and sold or gave away my manuals.

Flash forward to this fall, when I stumbled across a random copy of the DCC rulebook in a Books-A-Million. WOW. I liked everything about the aesthetic, the simplicity, the fun of it. It seemed like taking all the good parts of D&D while throwing out all the pretentious stuff. Been playing it with friends over the last few months and really enjoying it, plan to keep playing it for the foreseeable future.
Awesome.

Hi.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Aelfwin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Game Haven

Post by Aelfwin »

Greetings —

I have been away from RPGs for a very long time, but recently decided to jump back in. And because I once did some work for Goodman Games (graphic design and layout for a few books and other things, many years ago), I chose DCC as one of the systems I'd like to explore. So I've ordered a copy of the core DCC rulebook (which arrives tomorrow, I hope).

But I've never actually played any version of DCC before — in fact, I never played D&D 3.5, either. (Or 3.0, for that matter.) I think I was playing Rolemaster and Ars Magica back in those days, and between then and now was the long dry spell of not playing any RPGs at all.

I am therefore totally unfamiliar with DCC, and somewhat intimidated by the monstrous pile of other books available.

So if the core book is Step 1, can anyone offer some recommendations for Step 2…?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome!

DCC is a super easy game to pick up. If Step 1 is getting the core rulebook, Step 2 is buying or printing a Ready Reference for the charts that you will use most. It is totally worth it!

https://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot ... heets.html

Then jump into an existing game (if you can) to get a feel for how the system works. You may be able to find a Road Crew game near you.

http://goodman-games.com/events/

Then throw those intimidating, 12-books-to-play, games out the window, because you don't need that anymore.

DCC does use funky dice, more as you level, but you can always use the Crawler's Companion instead.

https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler.php

Hope that helps!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Aelfwin wrote:I am therefore totally unfamiliar with DCC, and somewhat intimidated by the monstrous pile of other books available.
...you mean the over 50 adventures published by Goodman Games for the DCC RPG? Plus the stuff published by third-party publishers?

You don't need it. There's the one Rulebook, and everything else is optional/there to make your job running the game easier.

As Raven points out, there's plenty of helpful stuff out there.

But if all you want to do is stick with the Rulebook and play, it's designed for that... :wink:

And Raven wouldn't point this out himself, but his blog is tremendously helpful for learning about DCC and finding resources to help you do what you want to do with the game... http://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:And Raven wouldn't point this out himself, but his blog is tremendously helpful for learning about DCC and finding resources to help you do what you want to do with the game... http://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Aelfwin wrote:So if the core book is Step 1, can anyone offer some recommendations for Step 2…?
As other has stated, there really is no step two: it’s a tenant of Joseph Goodman that everything needed is in the core book, and that happily remains true!

However, as you’ve noticed, there is an incredibly creative and productive community around DCC, so you can go as deep in any direction as you wish. There are zines and campaign guides to help you if you want to go weird fantasty, post-apocalyptic, weird west... or just about any other direction. There are active communities on Facebook, MeWe, Reddit, and various discords. Seems there is more every day, and of course, there are the forums here!

Regardless, welcome back, and good luck! (I also recommend Daniel (Raven_Crowking) as a fantastic resource. He’s just super humble about his own magnificence... ;)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Oooh..yeah...step 1a - Purple Sorcerer Games (https://purplesorcerer.com/) for the crawler app.

Come on Jon...get to pimpin'...

You're pretty much set at that point. I mean, the app takes care of the dice - you don't even have to go on a wild goose chase through the dealer hall at gencon trying to find someone who sells a d7.
Yakov38M
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: none so far, RPGs aren't common where I live

Post by Yakov38M »

Hello everyone, and sorry for not introducing myself earlier, I missed the thread :oops:

So, I'm a new player from Russia, I've started looking up role playing games online after I tried a D&D game during a trip... only to find out that there's no community in the provincial city where I live. There are players in big cities like Moscow, St Petersburg, Novosibirsk etc, but not here, unfortunately, so I can only play rarely when I send some time abroad or in a bigger city.
Because of that, I figured I'd just join an online community to see if I can join online games or find large scale events when I travel to other countries, and here I am!

I hope I'll soon be able to join one of your parties and help you overcome the worst odds!

PS: I really like to play as a Paladin or as a Ranger.
Aelfwin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Game Haven

Post by Aelfwin »

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions, all!

My copy of DCC arrived last week. I figure it'll only take me about six more years to finish reading the book, and then I can get started playing. :)

Well, maybe not quite that long… but man, this is a BIG book. I mean, seriously, I was expecting something about as fat as the old AD&D (1E) DM's Guide. This monster is bigger than my town's phone book. You could use it for home defense, and beat somebody to death with it.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Yakov38M wrote:So, I'm a new player from Russia, I've started looking up role playing games online after I tried a D&D game during a trip... only to find out that there's no community in the provincial city where I live. There are players in big cities like Moscow, St Petersburg, Novosibirsk etc, but not here, unfortunately, so I can only play rarely when I send some time abroad or in a bigger city.
Because of that, I figured I'd just join an online community to see if I can join online games or find large scale events when I travel to other countries, and here I am!
Welcome Yakov38M! I know if can be challenging to be from a little town where there is little gaming action, but it is wonderful that you can now play online!

From what I understand, there aren’t too many DCC players in Russia at the moment. I create tools that are helpful to many players, and in the last month I’ve had 12 visits to my site from Russia, so there are a couple out, and hopefully the number will grow in the future!

(BTW, where in Russia do you live? My wife lived in Moscow for a summer working for a non-profit in the late 80’s, and also traveled across the country during her college studies. She has many interesting stories!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Aelfwin wrote:Thanks for the welcome and suggestions, all!

My copy of DCC arrived last week. I figure it'll only take me about six more years to finish reading the book, and then I can get started playing. :)

Well, maybe not quite that long… but man, this is a BIG book. I mean, seriously, I was expecting something about as fat as the old AD&D (1E) DM's Guide. This monster is bigger than my town's phone book. You could use it for home defense, and beat somebody to death with it.
You don't need to read all the spell tables to start playing. Or the crit tables, for that matter.
SoBH pbp:

Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Aelfwin wrote:Well, maybe not quite that long… but man, this is a BIG book. I mean, seriously, I was expecting something about as fat as the old AD&D (1E) DM's Guide. This monster is bigger than my town's phone book. You could use it for home defense, and beat somebody to death with it.
It might be a big book, but it's a player's handbook + judge's handbook + monster manual in one. Besides, the size is deceiving - it's full of tables which eat space like popcorn, it's full of art, and the text itself isn't as dense as in most rpg rulebooks. Have fun! :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Post by Ozerulz »

Steel Havok wrote:Colorado Springs, Colorado. It's 1983, I'm in 5th grade and hanging out at my friend Tim's house playing Jungle Hunt on Atari. Tim's older brother Eric comes in and makes us turn the TV down so he and his weird long haired buddy can play the same game that I saw Kip from Bosom Buddies play on TV. They dim the globe light with the rattan shade that hung over the octagonal table with formica woodgrain and fake brass legs, a cassette is slid into a silver Panasonic tape deck and the opening riff from Run to the Hills screams out. Eric pulls some of his dad's beers from the fridge and they crack them open like they're full on grown ups. The two scariest looking books I've ever seen are on the table and they keep flipping through them while they roll some crazy dice and write down numbers and words like "leather armor" and "short sword". I had to figure out how to get in on this.

Hi, I'm Terry and I've been a member of Steel Havok https://www.instagram.com/steelhavok for ten years. I cut my teeth on Mentzer's red box. I've played every edition and found something to like with all of them. The older I get, the more I want that "old school" feel when I game. I came across DCC RPG and it seems to be everything I'm looking for in a game.

I've listened to the first 8 episodes of Spellburn and I think I'll run some of Steel Havok through a funnel soon and see how they like it. With any luck, I'll get someone hooked, charm them into running DCC RPG, and bluff my way into a player seat.

Are you in COS? Looking for DCC players in COS
Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Turelus »

TL;DR From the UK, followed DCC from the edges for a couple of years, finally joining the band and jumping into the game fully.

Joining the Band from the UK, I'm in my early thirties and got into RPG's when I was young because my parents let me get the D&D Basic Set second hand from a local charity shop. Most of my teenage and adult life I've run D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder for my friends with dips into different systems now and then.

I found DCC about two years ago via a YouTube channel called TabletopTalk, they did a series called Lir: City of Prisms and seeing the DCC rules there instantly caught my interest.
I picked up the rulebook that same year at UK Games Expo and fell in love with it, it instantly bought back that wonder from when I was a child looking through the books and art in that D&D Basic Set. I've run my friends through some of the published funnels over the last couple of years but we never really went further than that.

My second Pathfinder Adventure Path is just starting to wind down and as much as I love Paizo's stories and setting, the mechanics of the game just don't do it for me any more. I started writing a homebrew game ready for Pathfinder 2E but during that process stumbled onto Greg Gillespie's Barrowmaze. Like finding the DCC book it was another instant love interest because it ticked all the boxes for what I want out of a game. Well an OSR megadungeon needed an OSR style system, and I instantly knew which one it would be. So Pathfinder 2E campaign went onto the shelf and the DCC book got taken off and dusted.

Fast forward a month of rereading the rulebook, listening to Spellburn when I can (Ep 28 now), having DCC be officially released on Fantasy Grounds (our method of play) and it brings me to these forums and finally making my first post!

My campaign start is probably a little later in the year after Gen Con so until then I will be trying to figure out some nice conversions for Barrowmaze to DCC and shopping around for fun modules to throw in and make a campaign which my group and play, enjoy and remember for many years to come.

Judge Turelus
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Quite an intro. :)
Welcome JT!
--Ron--
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Brookhurst Hobbies

Post by Starbeard »

Hi all, finally made it here.

I started in the mid-'90s, first with Star Wars and Middle-earth Role Playing, then on to a string of countless others—but never D&D, since everyone was too cool for TSR in those days. That didn't come until a decade later, when I picked up copies of the first edition PHB and DMG for 50¢ each at a library sale. Those books brought about an instant paradigm shift on what a fantasy game could and should be, putting everything else I knew from other games into clear focus, and I've been a student of the old school ever since.

I've been enthusiastically but distantly orbiting around Goodman Games since the DCC RPG was released. I love the style, the inspirations, the content, the vibe, all of it. I've gotten to play a few times, but for the most part I just plunder the rulebook and modules for stuff to include in my B/X campaign. I'd run DCC on the side, but I don't have time to run two games.

Also: I just got back from Gamex/Strategicon in LA, and was excited to see Goodman Games in the sellers' room. Had a good chat with Jon Wilson(?), and picked up a few modules for my B/X players on his recommendations. But I forgot to write my name down for the mailing list!
Last edited by Starbeard on Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuscleWizard_716
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Davis Cards and Games

Post by MuscleWizard_716 »

Salve.

I'm musclewizard. I've been playing DCC for a couple years now, and I can't stop. Thinking of trying my hand at judging in the near future.

Got started on AD&D 2nd edition, and Unearthed Arcana was my prized possession at the age of, like, 11. From there, moved on to Call of Cthulhu, West End Star Wars, GURPS, and MERP (i.e. Rolemaster light with Hobbits), and the warhammer RPG. I was done with 3.5 D&D long before the release of 4th edition (which I never even tried...I could tell from reading the players' handbook it was gonna be awful), and while I came back briefly for 5th (which does not entirely suck), I find that it pales in comparison to DCC.

Playing DCC brings me back to how it was for me when I started with AD&D as a kid (I had wonderful DMs who liked to hack our poor PCs to bits in spite of the edition). But DCC is more than that. It's got the old-school D&D feel down, but it's also got the metal (and hilarious, brutal pessimism) of Warhammer, and the splattered glory of Rolemaster, and I love it.
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Welcome musclewizard!
Looks like you are in the perfect spot. :)
Enjoy!
--Ron--
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Hey! Starbeard! Your post must've got approved after I posted.
Good to see you here man!! Keep the PbP games over on Unseen Servant though! ;)
--Ron--
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Starbeard »

rredmond wrote:Hey! Starbeard! Your post must've got approved after I posted.
Good to see you here man!! Keep the PbP games over on Unseen Servant though! ;)
--Ron--
Definitely! Now if I can just find the time to sit down with my game notes and finish up that Star Trek adventure! ;)
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Good system that ST:AGitFF. I’m guessing we are close to the end. But no rush!!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Starbeard wrote:Also: I just got back from Gamex/Strategicon in LA, and was excited to see Goodman Games in the sellers' room. Had a good chat with Jon Wilson(?), and picked up a few modules for my B/X players on his recommendations. But I forgot to write my name down for the mailing list!
That Jon Wilson guy... I'd be careful of him, if I were you. Word is he was out playing 2nd Edition AD&D in the mid-nineties, so it's clear he's uncool... :wink:

Plus, his handle on these forums is just absurd... But I bet he could get you on the mailing list if you PM'd me your preferred e-mail. :mrgreen:

Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Starbeard »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Starbeard wrote:Also: I just got back from Gamex/Strategicon in LA, and was excited to see Goodman Games in the sellers' room. Had a good chat with Jon Wilson(?), and picked up a few modules for my B/X players on his recommendations. But I forgot to write my name down for the mailing list!
That Jon Wilson guy... I'd be careful of him, if I were you. Word is he was out playing 2nd Edition AD&D in the mid-nineties, so it's clear he's uncool... :wink:

Plus, his handle on these forums is just absurd... But I bet he could get you on the mailing list if you PM'd me your preferred e-mail. :mrgreen:
Word around town is somebody just PM'ed him, but I wouldn't know anything about it.
seanskispeth
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Dreaming Comics & Games

Post by seanskispeth »

Seanskispeth here from Seattle. I'm actually relatively new to RPGs. Only 6 years or so. I started with the Cypher system and 5e, but pretty quickly got into OSR and exclusively ran S&W for the last couple of years or so. My intro to DCC came via the Appendix N route. I've been a big reader of Weird pulp and Sword & Sorcery, since my early 20s, so DCC seemed like a pretty good fit. I'm about to run my first real DCC module in a few weeks (Not in Kansas Anymore) and I'm pretty excited! I'm also a big reader of history, philosophy, & critical theory. Huzzah!

Return to “DCC RPG General”