Our Day of DCC RPG at Origins 2012

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Our Day of DCC RPG at Origins 2012

Post by Rick »

Yesterday my GF and I did our yearly 2 hr roadtrip to Columbus, OH for a day at Origins. We (as always) chose the Day Pass option, meaning for a combined total of $15 we got full access to the Exhibit Hall, Art Show, Open Gaming, Auction, etc.

As expected, there wasn't much of a DCC RPG and/or Goodman Games presence in the Exhibit Hall, though funky dice were WELL represented w/ both a GameScience booth and a Colonel Louis Zocchi booth (manned by the legendary gentleman himself; meeting him was a lot of fun. If you haven't seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU (part 1) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmkWrDb ... ure=relmfu (part 2), you really should --- watch 'em now, the rest of this can wait :) ) The GF got a new "green" (as in eco-friendly --- recycled plastic, packaging, etc -- the dice themselves were deep red) 12 piece Precision set and a GS booth employee inked them for her (for $5) while we explored the rest of the Hall.

DCC was well represented in the Art Show w/ Doug Kovacs in attendance. As I did last year, I gazed longingly at the original art he's done for the game, both the b/w interior illustrations & maps and the full color stuff including the the back cover of the core book, the interior cover pieces (which viewed side by side are even more amazing), the covers for Doom of the Savage Kings, Jewels of the Carnifex, People of the Pit, and more... but unlike last year, I busted out the wallet and picked up a couple odds and ends you may recognize... :wink:

Those'll be framed and hung in the man-cave (once it's done), I assure you.

Hanging around chatting w/ Doug, as always, was fun. I somewhat casually asked if he'd be up for running a game for us later that evening and, mensch that he is, he agreed to do so. So, roughly 4 hours later we were seated at an open gaming table and he ran us through The 13th Skull (no spoilers). Initially it was just the GF and I, but 3 others joined for a bit before they had to leave. Ultimately it was a near TPK, w/ only my GF's Halfling surviving, but her luck (as impressive as it was*) was a matter of perspective as she found herself stranded in... well, somewhere you do not want to be stranded (hint: it's someplace warm :twisted: )

And that was pretty much that. Next weekend, hopefully some more DCC RPGing here locally at Free RPG Day.

*And not just the character's luck --- unlike me (dice hate me, so much so I bought the t-shirt http://www.zazzle.com/dice_hate_me_t_sh ... 9291594823) she rolls really, really well, at one point rolling two 16s (on d16s, of course) for a double critical.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Our Day of DCC RPG at Origins 2012

Post by Stainless »

Cool. It's nice to have some original art work for your man cave. Here's mine;

The top is Stefan Poag and the bottom is Ryan Browning
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
HiroTsukasa
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by HiroTsukasa »

Some awesome artwork. I would have liked to go to Origins, but it was too close in time for me after Forge and too last minute to work something out. Between Forge and Origins, that's quite the lucky Halfling player there.

My Smoke Opal dice set for DCC is actually from the eco-friendly line Gamescience has. I was a little skeptical (both of the fact they were made from excess material and of precision dice in general having never used them) when I ordered them online, but they have been great and quickly muscled themselves in as my favorite set to game with.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

R I C K wrote:Ultimately it was a near TPK, w/ only my GF's Halfling surviving,
Darn halflings are nigh impossible to kill. :P We sell this at the store I work at, just for people like you: http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Jin ... Spray.html

Very jealous of your awesome purchases!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Good score on the artwork.

Return to “DCC RPG General”