DCC Open Game Content

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC Open Game Content

Post by bitflipr »

Hello. I just pre-ordered the DCC RPG manual and I'm curious if I'll be able to easily identify what material in it is Open Game Content. I'm interested in running virtual games of DCC with people who may or may not have the rules book - I would like to know which information is safe to publicly post. I kind of have an idea of what constitutes OGC (as opposed to Product Identity) based on the OGL as described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License

However, I also found this reference on WotC's website about publishers "clearly identifying" any OGC content:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d2 ... /20040123f

Will this be clear to me when I view the book?
Colin

Re: DCC Open Game Content

Post by Colin »

From page 450:

----------------------
Designation of Product Identity: The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0: Dungeon Crawl Classics, DCC RPG, Mighty Deed of Arms, spell check, Luck check, spellburn, mercurial magic, corruption, disapproval, all spell names, all proper nouns, capitalized terms, italicized terms, artwork, maps, symbols, depictions, and illustrations, except such elements that already appear in the System Reference Document.

Designation of Open Content: Subject to the Product Identity designation above, such sections of Chapter One: Characters and Chapter Four: Combat as derive from the SRD are designated as Open Gaming Content.

Some of the portions of this book which are delineated OGC originate from the System Reference Document and are copyright © 1999, 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc. The remainder of these OGC portions of these book are hereby added to Open Game Content and, if so used, should bear the COPYRIGHT NOTICE “DCC RPG, copyright © 2012 Goodman Games, all rights reserved, visit http://www.goodman-games.com or contact info@goodman-games.com
---------------------

That's it as far as details and guidance go.
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

So does this effectively mean there cannot be a d20srd.org like site nor an SRD for DCC rpg? Seems like it would be hard to do without being able to mention the luck check mechanics and similar things. (I don't have DCC rpg. I was just looking to see if I could find some more information about what the game is like.)
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

How is the OGC preventing you from sharing information with your players about the game?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG General”