Updated forum structure

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Updated forum structure

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

With the DCC RPG core book getting closer and closer, the various sub-forums related to beta rules feedback aren't quite appropriate anymore as forum titles. After all, the beta will be "old news" very soon. I'd still like to retain the posts for posterity (and because many of them also made for very interesting conversation), but we need some new forums to reflect the "final" rules and comments that will come from that.

What I'm leaning toward right now is consolidating the various playtest forums into a single "Archived Playtest Commentary" section (which would be locked but available for access), then creating new forums for active play. They would probably be:

Character Discussion
Rules Questions
Magic and Spells
Judging Discussion (including monsters, adventures, etc.)

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Any other forums you think we'll need, or anything else?

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Updated forum structure

Post by onearmspence »

Maybe its already covered by the judging section, but DCC tales section may be cool (for sharing stories, discussing S&S fiction, etc.)

Also what about a PVP games section?
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

goodmangames wrote:

Character Discussion
Rules Questions
Magic and Spells
Homebrew forum -- I guess that could be the Judging Discussion? An "Your own Appendix N" forum for campaign stories?
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

A game-finding forum would be nice, especially for online games. I also like the "tales" forum idea.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Yeah, definitely a homebrew/workshop section for sharing house rules, hacks, and so forth.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

I assume errata would go into a Rules Questions subforum. I'm hoping a full subforum for those will not be needed.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Stainless wrote:I assume errata would go into a Rules Questions subforum. I'm hoping a full subforum for those will not be needed.
Yes! No errata! Any rules clarifications, on the other hand, would be exactly what Rules Questions is for.

The 3PP, I assume that'll remain?
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:What I'm leaning toward right now is consolidating the various playtest forums into a single "Archived Playtest Commentary" section (which would be locked but available for access)...
My vote would be to leave all of the playtest sections as-is rather than consolidating them, but all moved down the boards and locked.
1. It would be easier for a moderator to move the boards without having to move all those individual threads.
2. It would be easier for a reader to find an old thread if interested, since they would be grouped in the same way that they are grouped now.

I just think that taking all of the threads and tossing them into one pot makes them nearly worthless. WotC did that with their "Old and Out of Print" sections (I made up the title, but that's what it's for) and combined OD&D, AD&D, 2E and a whole pile of 3E boards into one spot. Good luck finding anything there. :?

Anyway, just one guy's opinion.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:Character Discussion
Rules Questions
Magic and Spells
Good choices, overall.

1. I'd like a new "DCC General" section. Archive the old one and start a new one.
2. The idea of a "Tales" section is good. Perhaps that can be combined with "Finding Players" and just called "Community"
3. We need to continue with the DCC 3PP forum so that folks can continue a shout-out about their products. (The current one is fine, actually. No need to archive it.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I was thinking recently it might cool to have an Appendix N section for talking about cool old stuff, not just as it applies to DCC RPG.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:I was thinking recently it might cool to have an Appendix N section for talking about cool old stuff, not just as it applies to DCC RPG.
Oh, +1 to this as long as there are limits.

I'd like to keep conversation to actual Appendix N literature, not funky new stuff where some guy says "this is just like it" only it isn't. :?

I haven't found much written after the 1970's that even comes close to the feel of the old pulps. Even authors like Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock wrote great stuff "in the day" and it got worse in the 1980's.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Where do we see conversion notes fitting in? Although DCC RPG will be supported by purpose-written modules, there will be many who would like to convert past D&D modules or just convert some favourite critters, etc. Guidance, examples, fully worked out adventures, etc.; Should they have their own forum or be scattered as appropriate?
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

finarvyn wrote:Even authors like Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock wrote great stuff "in the day" and it got worse in the 1980's.
That's right. For me, only the first seven published Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories and the first five Elric stories are canonical.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Stainless wrote:Where do we see conversion notes fitting in? Although DCC RPG will be supported by purpose-written modules, there will be many who would like to convert past D&D modules or just convert some favourite critters, etc. Guidance, examples, fully worked out adventures, etc.; Should they have their own forum or be scattered as appropriate?
A great point. I can see two main options:
(1) There are parts of the Goodman Games board which are NOT related to DCC specifically. I assume that those sections will remain and conversions could go there.
(2) When I made my list above I'd intended to include a "workshop" section. Conversions and homebrew material could all go there.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Geoffrey wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Even authors like Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock wrote great stuff "in the day" and it got worse in the 1980's.
That's right. For me, only the first seven published Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories and the first five Elric stories are canonical.
8) I haven't actually counted them the way you have, but essentially you are of the same opinion that I am; I think the earliest stories show the most "spark" and after a while the later stories seemed to be covering much the same material but with less life.

I suspect that this is true with most authors. I don't mean to pick on Leiber and Moorcock, two of my all-time favorites. They just seemed like obvious examples.

A wonderful thing to discuss in an "Appendix N" board!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Geoffrey wrote:
canonical is not a word I hope to see to often around the DCC RPG! It can go with RAW and RAI IMO :P
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks for the good suggestions. Forum structure now updated.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Ooooh I can almost taste the PDF!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:Thanks for the good suggestions. Forum structure now updated.
Most excellent, Joseph! Your humble deputy approves of the new structure! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”