What adventures will be available when core book releases?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: What adventures will be available when core book release

Post by Galadrin »

I think the book should include the adventures. It gives new players that weren't lucky enough to score the Free RPG day adventures a chance to experience them and, more importantly, it gives newcomers to the DCC RPG a real taste of what a DCC adventure should be like, even if they never run it and decide to just play homemade adventures.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The two Free RPG Day adventures collectively take up 9 pages.

Out of 480.

Yes, I never quite thought it would be this large! But with so much art, and so many spells, the page count went up quite a bit. That original goal of 96 pages seems quaint now in retrospect!

The spells take up nearly 200 pages in total. Whereas the beta rules had a few sample spells, the core rules feature level 1-5 spells for wizards and clerics, plus level 1-3 spells for several patrons. Each spell has its own misfire and corruption entries (per request) and the layout no longer "merges" multiple spell results into one table. This makes each spell's table easier to reference as a single page (or in some cases two pages where one isn't possible).

And a lot of the book is art. I guess I should actually count the pages but I would estimate that there is at least 100 pages of "pure" art, ranging from the many full-page illustrations to all the 1/4 and 1/2 pagers if they were combined.

Wow. I can't believe I wrote so much! (With some help from Harley, Mike, and Dieter, as well.) Several years of work seems to have paid off...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

:shock: 480 pages - 200 of spells, 100 of pure art - OMG 8)
Sean Wills
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

All those words will really get in the way when I'm trying to enjoy this great art book. :P
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

480 pages! I'll need a bigger coffee table. I am getting excited. This is going to rock :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

480 pages! That US$4 international shipping offer is going to ruin your business!

Fab news for us however. Sounds like lots of meat for all aspects (rules, art, flavour). I predict an instant classic RPG.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Wow, sounds amazing Joe!

Even with one spell every 1-2 pages, that seems like a lot of spells in the book.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I really loved the Free RPG Day 2011 module, it's a great example of adventure design and a fun adventure to boot. I kicked off my current campaign with it, and it really set the pace and tone for the rest of the campaign (which is still going, and will convert to official rules when the book comes out.)

I think it's pretty important to put at least one sample adventure in the core rules to get an idea of how to design one.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

Wow. $39.99 for a 480-page book? 480 cheap photocopies at the library would cost more than that. What a deal!
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by onearmspence »

goodmangames wrote: The spells take up nearly 200 pages in total. Whereas the beta rules had a few sample spells, the core rules feature level 1-5 spells for wizards and clerics, plus level 1-3 spells for several patrons. Each spell has its own misfire and corruption entries (per request) and the layout no longer "merges" multiple spell results into one table. This makes each spell's table easier to reference as a single page (or in some cases two pages where one isn't possible).
Awesome! :o
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

This is awesome, though some small part of me is sad at how huge the base game book is. Sounds like a heavy book to carry around, especially if you aren't a spellcaster.
Thac0
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thac0 »

jmucchiello wrote:This is awesome, though some small part of me is sad at how huge the base game book is. Sounds like a heavy book to carry around, especially if you aren't a spellcaster.
I myself am torn on if I'm excited to have this massive tome to show off, or if I would have preferred having the spells split off into their own book. In the end, I know I will be happy either way. ^-^
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jmucchiello wrote:This is awesome, though some small part of me is sad at how huge the base game book is. Sounds like a heavy book to carry around, especially if you aren't a spellcaster.
Considering how rules-lite the game is, the only one that really needs the book for "play" will be spell casters, and the Judge for Fumbles/Crits. But most of that specific stuff can/will be printed out separately for reference use, pretty much the only time you ever have to open the book.

Personally I can't wait to thump the ltd ed version book on the table when I get mine. "Who the Judge!"
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
arcadayn
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arcadayn »

Players should only need the pdf. They can just print out their spell charts. That's what we did with Rolemaster.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Still not as huge as three core books of D&D. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

It's going to be interesting to see the look on a players face when people pull out the book and say "This is the rule book, and 200 pages of this are spells".
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I was on another computer yesterday and didn't have the forums linked, and I happened to get here through the main GG webpage.

http://www.goodmangames.com/

The main page has thumbnail pictures of the DCC modules on their way, and not just GG products but also some of the same 3PP products that we've seen advertised in the 3PP section of the boards.

A total of 19 products (rule books, modules, etc) waiting for gamers to buy 'em! All togehter these look really impressive! :shock:

Talk about a ton of support! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Yes, the support is fantastic... I just pre-ordered the first two modules :D

That said... One pic I see missing was Brave Halflings 'Appendix N Adventures'...
So I make that 20 including? I recently used their 'Village of Larm' setting/module and it led to a very enjoyable gaming session. I can recommend it.

Won't be long now, hurry up April!
Playing since about 1980
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

RevTurkey wrote:Yes, the support is fantastic... I just pre-ordered the first two modules :D

That said... One pic I see missing was Brave Halflings 'Appendix N Adventures'...
So I make that 20 including? I recently used their 'Village of Larm' setting/module and it led to a very enjoyable gaming session. I can recommend it.

Won't be long now, hurry up April!
Yes, Joseph and I noticed a picture for BHP's DCC RPG support about ten days ago, but we will get that fixed. Late this evening I will post more details on our DCC stuff.
John Adams
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Good stuff John, I like your adventures. I can see me buying 'Appendix N Adventures' :D
Playing since about 1980

Return to “DCC RPG General”