What adventures will be available when core book releases?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

What adventures will be available when core book releases?

Post by Reaper Steve »

I'm about to pre-order DCC thanks to the #66.5 incentive!
Will any other adventures will be released simultaneously? #67 would be especially handy since it's 0-level and would be used before #66.5.
Should I order any of the adventures with the core book, or would that just delay it from shipping?
Thanks,
Steve
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: What adventures will be available when core book release

Post by goodmangames »

All the preorder items will ship "as they are available" which is why there is a separate shipping charge for each. My goal is to DCC #67 and 68 release very close to the core book - hopefully no more than a couple weeks later. But I need to finish the core book first and then get my head above water. :) Don't worry too much about the timing though - the core book has a lot of material to read - you won't be playing adventures the very next day after you get it! I will post a breakdown of the chapters soon. The spells definitely took up a lot of space, more than I anticipated. But you guys did get custom misfire/corruption tables for each spell, as requested!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:Don't worry too much about the timing though - the core book has a lot of material to read - you won't be playing adventures the very next day after you get it!
Just a dissenting opinion from inside the bubble ...

... you could totally be rolling dice and confronting horrors from beyond space and time within an hour of opening your package. :twisted:

But a pre-order does come with the free adventure, so you should be covered.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Good point Harley - folks who are comfortable reading "the meat of the rules" could get starts very quickly.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Reaper Steve »

Thanks, Joseph & Harley!

To be clear, does the core book include a 0-level adventure?
Does 66.5 include first level pregens?
Do the core rules provide guidance for creating characters without using the 0-level funnel?

(If "no" to all the above, at least I have the Free RPG Day 0-level intro to use.)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Reaper Steve wrote:To be clear, does the core book include a 0-level adventure?
It can be played by either 0-level PC or 1st-level PCs, but you will have a much easier go with 1st level PCs. If your players' haven't been through Joseph's Free RPG day adventure I would definitely run then through the funnel first, and then send the survivors on to DCC 66.5.

Re: Pre-gens. No, but I'm happy to post the ones I'm using for GaryCon. I'll see if I can't get them hosted over the weekend.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

A quick and dirty method of funneling 1st level PCs:

Step 1. Go to http://www.jmarrdesign.com/dcc/ and print out one sheet for each player.

Step 2. Roll 1d7 - Luck bonus. This is how much dmg your PC took during his 0-level adventure.

Step 3. Discard dead PCs.
Step 3a. PCs all dead? Return to Step 1.

Step 4. Did you survive? Loot the bodies of your former comrades.

Step 5. Survivors advance to 1st level. Pick a class, roll for your 1st level HP, go shopping with any extra loot and game on!

//H

Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Reaper Steve »

Lot's of awesome in your last two posts, Harley!
Harley Stroh wrote:
Reaper Steve wrote:To be clear, does the core book include a 0-level adventure?
It can be played by either 0-level PC or 1st-level PCs, but you will have a much easier go with 1st level PCs. If your players' haven't been through Joseph's Free RPG day adventure I would definitely run then through the funnel first, and then send the survivors on to DCC 66.5.

Re: Pre-gens. No, but I'm happy to post the ones I'm using for GaryCon. I'll see if I can't get them hosted over the weekend.

//H
If I read this right, you are saying "No, there is not an adventure as part of the DCC core book, but I could attempt to run #66.5 with 0-level PCs."
No problem, I'll do the FRPG Day 0-level then #66.5!

I'd love to see your GaryCon PCs posted online. Yes, please.

The character generator you linked is great, thanks for that as well.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I will have a DCC RPG product in game stores (and direct from BHP) in early May with 2-3 0-level adventures in it. I will be posting details on it early next week.
John Adams
Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Reaper Steve »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I will have a DCC RPG product in game stores (and direct from BHP) in early May with 2-3 0-level adventures in it. I will be posting details on it early next week.
I'll be sure to take a look!
Thac0
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thac0 »

goodmangames wrote:Don't worry too much about the timing though - the core book has a lot of material to read - you won't be playing adventures the very next day after you get it!
Don't forget about the PDF of the core book being sent out before the actual book arrives. I had planned on having it read many times over before and playing adventures before I actually crack the binding... ^-^
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

:twisted:

Heh. Good point.

//H

RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Just a suggestion...

Make the download of the free adventure day 0 level starter...er free?

I know it's only a few dollars over at rpgnow and I bought it but at least everyone would have something before the other 0 level stuff becomes available?
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

RevTurkey wrote:Just a suggestion...

I know it's only a few dollars over at rpgnow and I bought it but at least everyone would have something before the other 0 level stuff becomes available?
I don't know if this might cause any stress to Goodmangames, but I've got a 0-lvl adventure I ran twice and served well the funnel process.
It's currently in Italian, but I could translate it and release it for free if

a) there is any interest
b) it's ok with Joe (i don't wanna step on anyone toes here)
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

RevTurkey wrote:Just a suggestion...

For some reason, I think that was their plan. I'm sure I remember reading that in the forums when Free RPG Day was on. But maybe it's my imagination.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Based on rearranging some pages in the layout over the last couple days, it looks like there will be room to include the two Free RPG Day adventures from last year in the core book. (One was for level 0, the other for level 5, if you don't recall.) That would be in addition to DCC #66.5 for those who pre-order in time.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Reaper Steve wrote:I'm about to pre-order DCC thanks to the #66.5 incentive!
Will any other adventures will be released simultaneously? #67 would be especially handy since it's 0-level and would be used before #66.5.
I'm also working hard to make sure the 0-level Attack of the Frawgs will be available on RPGNow.com by April; obviously it won't get released until DCC RPG goes public. It's about the same size as the starter adventure (maybe a bit larger) and any survivors should be ready for 1-st adventuring glory!
Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Reaper Steve »

goodmangames wrote:Based on rearranging some pages in the layout over the last couple days, it looks like there will be room to include the two Free RPG Day adventures from last year in the core book. (One was for level 0, the other for level 5, if you don't recall.) That would be in addition to DCC #66.5 for those who pre-order in time.
That's great news! Even though I already have the FRPG Day adventures, I'm glad you're able to include them in the book. I think having a starting adventure included with the rules is a must these days. Otherwise it's like getting a new toy but not getting the batteries. So... thanks!

On a slightly different subject: did I read that there will be a 2012 DCC FRPG Day offering? And will it be available online at some point? I'm about to move to the middle of nowhere (why does the Air Force do that?) and I seriously doubt the single nearby retailer will be participating in FRPG Day (because it's not free for the retailer.)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Reaper Steve wrote:On a slightly different subject: did I read that there will be a 2012 DCC FRPG Day offering? And will it be available online at some point?
Yes and yes. More details coming soon. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Reaper Steve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Reaper Steve »

goodmangames wrote:
Reaper Steve wrote:On a slightly different subject: did I read that there will be a 2012 DCC FRPG Day offering? And will it be available online at some point?
Yes and yes. More details coming soon. :)
:) :D :mrgreen:
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

It will be good news to many that the Free RPG Day modules are included in the core rule book. However, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I personally prefer my rule books to not have adventures in them. There are issues with players getting hold of the book and seeing the adventure, but mainly, an adventure tends to be a one- or two-shot. Once it's been played, you'll not really need it again, if ever. But now you're literally lugging those dead pages around with your book. I'd prefer a smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper book than one that's been padded out with an adventure. Preferably, I'd prefer any extra pages to be filled in with some more useful rules. If an adventure must be included, I'd prefer it to be in the form of a tutorial, explaining how the system works. At least then there may be some repeat value in it.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

Stainless wrote:It will be good news to many that the Free RPG Day modules are included in the core rule book. However, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I personally prefer my rule books to not have adventures in them. There are issues with players getting hold of the book and seeing the adventure, but mainly, an adventure tends to be a one- or two-shot. Once it's been played, you'll not really need it again, if ever. But now you're literally lugging those dead pages around with your book. I'd prefer a smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper book than one that's been padded out with an adventure. Preferably, I'd prefer any extra pages to be filled in with some more useful rules. If an adventure must be included, I'd prefer it to be in the form of a tutorial, explaining how the system works. At least then there may be some repeat value in it.
+d5
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

goodmangames wrote:Based on rearranging some pages in the layout over the last couple days, it looks like there will be room to include the two Free RPG Day adventures from last year in the core book. (One was for level 0, the other for level 5, if you don't recall.) That would be in addition to DCC #66.5 for those who pre-order in time.
Excellent - I've always liked getting an adventure in the rulebook, it was one of the things that I loved about Holmes D&D. Even though I've already got the 2 adventures it's a good idea for new DMs and also for the shared experience between groups.
Sean Wills
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

abk108 wrote:
Stainless wrote:It will be good news to many that the Free RPG Day modules are included in the core rule book. However, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I personally prefer my rule books to not have adventures in them. There are issues with players getting hold of the book and seeing the adventure, but mainly, an adventure tends to be a one- or two-shot. Once it's been played, you'll not really need it again, if ever. But now you're literally lugging those dead pages around with your book. I'd prefer a smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper book than one that's been padded out with an adventure. Preferably, I'd prefer any extra pages to be filled in with some more useful rules. If an adventure must be included, I'd prefer it to be in the form of a tutorial, explaining how the system works. At least then there may be some repeat value in it.
+d5
I hear what you are saying, but adding these two little modules from FREE RPG DAY will by no means "pad" the rules book. They are maybe 10-12 pages altogether. :) For all one gets in the DCC RPG rule book, Joseph ought to be charging more for it.
John Adams
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

I like having a little adventure in a rulebook. It makes the game more accessible to new players and works as an easy starting point to try a new game. 10-12 pages isn't going to break anyone's back. With all that cool artwork it will be nice to have a couple of very cool maps in there as well to add to the overall goodness and flavour.

This book is turning out to be an incredible bargain. Well done Joseph and the team. You sure do listen and look after your customers. Thanks.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)

Return to “DCC RPG General”