Genghis Con 2012 report

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Genghis Con 2012 report

Post by Harley Stroh »

Recovering from Genghis Con, hosted by the fantastic volunteers of the DGA.

We ran three sessions of the DCC RPG over the weekend, including one session with the amazing Expendables, my Colorado playtest group. I loathe turning away any player, so all the DCC tables were stacked with as many players as we could fit.

We playested a couple different upcoming (unannounced) adventures, shaking out what was boring, confusing, or less than awesome. As always, the adventures benefited tremendously from the playtesting; I’ll be making some key changes before sending them on to the boss.

It would be tough to pick a highlight of the con. In lieu of any one moment, here are some of my favorites:
  • The mighty Black Dougal losing another couple PCs, beginning with no less than three natural 1s over the course of 4 rolls. Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.” Doug has played at every Denver con I’ve attended, losing at *least* 2 PCs per con. His dice are trying to kill him, and winning.
  • Seeing another new player delighted at the sight of weird dice.
  • A first-time wizard immolating his own party with the world’s best scorching ray.
  • R. Kal, playing a barbarian par excellence, standing atop a mound of dead picts, howling for personal combat with the war-band’s shaman … with only 9 hp left.
  • Getting the chance to run games for Clint Black of Savage Worlds fame, and Ben Schulz, aka Leeeeeroy Jenkins.
  • Best of all: seeing so many return players. Some have played nearly every iteration of the rules. Thank you for coming back, time and again, to improve our game. This is for you guys.
I’m sure I’m missing something, but a lot gets lost in the blur of chattering game science dice, caffeine, and sleep deprivation. Feel free to add to what I’ve missed.

I’ll end the con report with a picture yoinked from the Expendables. Rae is one of our more passionate players, her young priestess having faced down horrific demons, foul beings, and certain death without flinching, and even passed over the threshold of death once (returning thanks to the quick hands of one plucky thief). Rae won a demon mace in another event at the con, and asked if her PC might come across a similar weapon, pitting evil against evil as it were.

Turn down the opportunity to send my players’ characters traipsing into a bastion of evil to win a foul relic?

Heck no. We’re talking the Wand of Orcus, here:

What I love about Rae is that she is the antithesis of nearly everything an OSR player ought to be.

Which, in turn, is why the OSR is so great. Be ye grognard or otaku, you have a place at my table.

Next Up
See you at GaryCon!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Genghis Con 2012 report

Post by Stainless »

Excellent. You've introduced me to the Internet meme of Leeroy Jenkins.

I hope some of those who played there will write up their impressions of the system as it currently stands (unless you were DDXP NDAing them, that is).
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Stainless wrote:Excellent. You've introduced me to the Internet meme of Leeroy Jenkins.

I hope some of those who played there will write up their impressions of the system as it currently stands (unless you were DDXP NDAing them, that is).
Naw. No NDAs here. We're working from the latest of Joseph's proofs, so apart from cleaning up typos, there isn't much to hide.

//H

Edit: On a class level, we had some great MDoA moments with Kal's barbarian, some *great* corruptions (driving home the cost of powerful magic), and some really effective clerics. It felt good (on my side of the screen) to see how each held their own.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

Harley Stroh wrote:
  • The mighty Black Dougal losing another couple PCs, beginning with no less than three natural 1s over the course of 4 rolls. Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.” Doug has played at every Denver con I’ve attended, losing at *least* 2 PCs per con. His dice are trying to kill him, and winning.
//H
Yay, I now have a DCC nickname! :D I just need to figure out how to change my forum name.

For some reason it just wouldn't be a Con for me if I didn't lose at least one character while playing DCC. In fact it amazes me when one of my characters doesn't die. For example Gareth should have been dead several times over in that second adventure during GenghisCon 2011. You shouldn't be able to jump off cliffs in DCC and survive. My character deaths are always fun and interesting. So far I have never died the same way twice.

I am just glad that Beldar, son of Gareth, herald of the the Wolf King could die so gloriously in battle as he defended the standard of his liege lord and king against the foul Picts.

My DCC character death toll (all at the hands of Harley) now stands at 11. This doesn't count the 300+ Dwarf NPCs which Harley allowed me to kill as a sacrifice to a death cult.

GenghisCon was a total blast and, Harley, you played a big role in that. Not only is it a joy to be in a game with you. It is also excellent to hang out with you between games and over beers.

P.S. I talked with my wife. I will be seeing you at GenCon 2013.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

dkeester wrote: Yay, I now have a DCC nickname! :D I just need to figure out how to change my forum name.
I bet I can do it from the admin panel, but I'm going to wait for you to log off first. Don't know what happens to the magic smoke if I open the box during the act.
dkeester wrote:I am just glad that Beldar, son of Gareth, herald of the the Wolf King could die so gloriously in battle as he defended the standard of his liege lord and king against the foul Picts.
That's right! That was another great moment. Dying while holding the standard aloft. Very cool.
dkeester wrote:I will be seeing you at GenCon 2013.
!!!

Awesome. Clint Black was 100% right, it really is a gamer's Mecca. You need to make the pilgrimage, at least once.

Looking forward to when we roll dice again!

//H

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Harley Stroh wrote:
dkeester wrote: Yay, I now have a DCC nickname! :D I just need to figure out how to change my forum name.
I bet I can do it from the admin panel, but I'm going to wait for you to log off first. Don't know what happens to the magic smoke if I open the box during the act.
Thanks Harley! You rock!
Harley Stroh wrote:
dkeester wrote:I will be seeing you at GenCon 2013.
!!!

Awesome. Clint Black was 100% right, it really is a gamer's Mecca. You need to make the pilgrimage, at least once.
Have I mentioned that it was amazingly cool to have lunch with the two of you and Justin Suzuki. Justin is awesome and Clint is such a fun guy. Remind me to show you the inscription Clint wrote in my Savage Worlds Deluxe book. :)
Harley Stroh wrote: Looking forward to when we roll dice again!

//H
I am getting low on my stock of ready characters, so I will need to create a few before our next session. But, I am already jonsing for another game.

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Black Dougal. Care to post your impressions on how the DCC RPG system is shaping up? We'll take it as read that it's still lethal. :lol: However, any tit-bits on how it's changed since the beta would be greatly appreciated. We're all champing at the bit to get hold of it. A few crumbs might keep us going.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Stainless wrote:Black Dougal. Care to post your impressions on how the DCC RPG system is shaping up? We'll take it as read that it's still lethal. :lol: However, any tit-bits on how it's changed since the beta would be greatly appreciated. We're all champing at the bit to get hold of it. A few crumbs might keep us going.
DISCLAIMER: I haven't played through absolutely everything and I have not read the entirety of the current rules.

That being said, what are my impressions...

*cackles madly like the Joker*

Deadly? It is not deadly. The game simply has rewards for stupid play as much as it has rewards for intelligent play. The game is quite survivable, if you play smart. Now, maiming on the other hand. There is quite a bit of maiming. Maiming might just be the best part. Lots of maiming...
</joker>

Okay. Now that I have that out of my system... *removes the disturbing clown makeup*

It really comes down to spit-and-polish. Most of the changes have smoothed out the clunky bits rather than making drastic changes. The Thief and the Cleric classes work better, not differently. I haven't played with the arcane caster classes enough to say how much they have changed, but what I have seen is really just more polish. The overall feel of the game hasn't changed. It is still a gritty and brutal game.

Perhaps the largest change was adding levels 6-10. But even that change, to me, has not really altered the game much. It stretched the power curve more than adding on to it. Even at levels 9 and 10 the PCs aren't going to be gods. They will be able to execute some very impressive and powerful actions, but they are still mere mortals. At low levels success (especially with spells) can be just as dangerous as failure. This is even more true at high levels (as the Burning Hands success shows). Even at level 10 a wrong move or a bad dice roll at the wrong time can spell doom. As you gain in level the rewards increase, but so do the risks.

I would like to see a full "release candidate" document, and I will reserve final judgement until I see the full rules set again. However, based on everything that I have seen up to this point I think everyone is in for a very fun and satisfying OSR product.

There is one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind which has been true from the very beginning of this project. This is a game written by Joseph Goodman for a VERY specific audience. That audience is Joseph Goodman. (He has said as much in interviews. See: http://www.gameknightreviews.com/2012/0 ... man-games/) The rest of us are just along for the ride, but I for one think it is a great ride.

Oh, and I have a request for Harley, which thinking about the above has brought to mind...

I want to play a level 10 adventure. I hope you have one in the works which we can playtest. I want to see the top of the power curve in play.

--Harley Stroh
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Black Dougal wrote: I want to play a level 10 adventure. I hope you have one in the works which we can playtest. I want to see the top of the power curve in play.
I do have something fairly high level in the works (due April 15ish). The directives from the boss were to pull all the stops out, making it exceedingly challenging unless players are extremely clever or lucky. Not quite 10th level, but definitely in the solid 8 range.

And, being that high, it will definitely need some playtesting ...

//H

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Black Dougal wrote: I want to play a level 10 adventure. I hope you have one in the works which we can playtest. I want to see the top of the power curve in play.
I do have something fairly high level in the works (due April 15ish). The directives from the boss were to pull all the stops out, making it exceedingly challenging unless players are extremely clever or lucky. Not quite 10th level, but definitely in the solid 8 range.

And, being that high, it will definitely need some playtesting ...

//H
That sounds like a great opportunity for me to increase the Death Toll. Where do I sign up? :D

--Harley Stroh
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Great to hear that the con went so well. Love the wand of Orcus!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

goodmangames wrote:Great to hear that the con went so well. Love the wand of Orcus!
GenghisCon is an awesome convention. You need to come out for it (or Tacticon) one of these years. We would love to have you.

--Harley Stroh

Return to “DCC RPG General”