DCC and 5e D&D

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC and 5e D&D

Post by Stainless »

I've been reading the twitter live feeds and live blogs associated with the D&D Experience. Most info (granted, little that there is) is coming from coverage of the seminars they are running. What's struck me is how much resonance there is with the DCC RPG; magic should be mysterious, magic items shouldn't be dolled out like sweets, things should be grittier,etc. It's like they've been reading the forums here and messing with the beta and taking pages from the hymn book. Then again, I suppose it's an OSR vibe that coming through and DCC is got that to. The clincher will be when they announce the use of a d7!
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: DCC and 5e D&D

Post by finarvyn »

Well, I know that 5E will have a strong 3E/4E influence, but it does seem like WotC has taken notice that old school RPGs have some wonderful characteristics. DCC has a great philosophy and I can see where 5E could learn some awesome lessons from looking to see what it does.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

I playtested 5e his weekend and I saw influences from all editions and several D&D like games.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

fjw70 wrote:I playtested 5e his weekend and I saw influences from all editions and several D&D like games.
Interesting. Can you share more information? (I've signed up to be a playtester but as of yet haven't gotten any playtest files. :? )
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

finarvyn wrote:
fjw70 wrote:I playtested 5e his weekend and I saw influences from all editions and several D&D like games.
Interesting. Can you share more information? (I've signed up to be a playtester but as of yet haven't gotten any playtest files. :? )
Sorry I had to sign an NDA. This was the playtest at D&DXP and not the general beta playtest that is suppose to happen in the spring.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Yes, the more I read, the more influences from other games I see. Mike Mearls even stated they've been playing Trail of Cthulhu which I can definitely see in some of the new rules they've talked about (and Robin Laws wrote some of the rules for 4e DMG II). But I suppose roleplaying rules tend to be largely derivative and circular so it's understandable to apparently see influences here and there. A bit like music.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Another comment by Monte Cooke that has DCC RPG overtones to my mind;
We are also experimenting with variations on task resolution. What if, for example, something that used to give you a bonus or a penalty instead modified the dice you roll? A bonus to your attack roll might be the ability to roll 2d20 and take the best roll, for example. Or maybe instead of having a flat bonus, you got a bonus die to roll and add (or, in the case of a penalty, subtract)?
From Legends and Lore 2/13/2012
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

Stainless wrote:Another comment by Monte Cooke that has DCC RPG overtones to my mind;
We are also experimenting with variations on task resolution. What if, for example, something that used to give you a bonus or a penalty instead modified the dice you roll? A bonus to your attack roll might be the ability to roll 2d20 and take the best roll, for example. Or maybe instead of having a flat bonus, you got a bonus die to roll and add (or, in the case of a penalty, subtract)?
I thought of DCC as well.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

I also play tested 5th ed at DDXP and although I signed an NDA, I belive I would be safe to say that it would not be much work, based on what I saw there, to convert the DCC adventures over and use them. So even if your not a DCC RPG fan but loved their 3rd ed adventures, I would recomend picking up the new DCCRPG adventures as they will likely be convertible. I read some where that some of the first playtests of 5th ed used a converted version of the 3.0 adventure "The Sunless Citidale."

Then again, this is based on early play test material for both systems so I could be wrong....
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

fjw70 wrote:
Stainless wrote:Another comment by Monte Cooke that has DCC RPG overtones to my mind;
I thought of DCC as well.

I think this was in a statment titled something like "Dice tricks" and was a lead in into a poll on how different systems use dice in different ways, and was polling to see what DnD players thought about them showing up in the next edition.

Return to “DCC RPG General”