Goodman, please don't publish DDC RPG until after November!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Goodman, please don't publish DDC RPG until after November!

Post by Geoffrey »

IF making the November deadline would necessitate cut corners and rushed details. I'm more excited than ever about DCC RPG, but at the same time I'm more aware than ever of the immense amount of work and re-work that making the game takes. If the game will be significantly better for waiting until a December publication date, or a publication date in 2012, then I'd support that (regardless of my eagerness to see the completed product).
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Goodman, please don't publish DDC RPG until after Novemb

Post by JediOre »

I give a hearty Amen to Geoffrey's thoughts.

I am much more concerned about the finished product than I am with meeting a deadline.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

Signed by me as well.

Give us a good game Mr G not a rushed one. But if your happy to release it November, then I will be happy to buy it!
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

If you push the deadline back please only do it once. I don't want 11/2011 to turn into 11/2013. :roll:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

JediOre wrote:I give a hearty Amen to Geoffrey's thoughts.

I am much more concerned about the finished product than I am with meeting a deadline.
+2d7
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

And don't publish after Dec. 2012, since there will be no Earth then (and by extension, no Aerth).

But, yes, push back the date if it makes a better product.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

DCCfan wrote:If you push the deadline back please only do it once. I don't want 11/2011 to turn into 11/2013. :roll:
See Gnomeboy's comment about 12/13. We don't want a game for one month! :lol:
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

JediOre wrote:
DCCfan wrote:If you push the deadline back please only do it once. I don't want 11/2011 to turn into 11/2013. :roll:
See Gnomeboy's comment about 12/13. We don't want a game for one month! :lol:

Food for thought...

http://video.godlikeproductions.com/vid ... art_1_of_3
http://2012-comet.com/2012/nibiru/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision
http://humansarefree.com/2011/02/elenin ... ibiru.html
http://coupmedia.org/planet-x-nibiru/is ... sters-0309
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

signed by me as well.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

Goodman Games is very professionnal so i am sure that DCCRPG will released in november with an top level of quality.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Is there a problem with the ruleset? If so, could someone post a link to Goodman or Stroh's post? I recently saw the set available for order at my FLGS' catalog. Shall I notify the store the game's been delayed?
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hi guys,

Your timing is impeccable...I was a few days away from letting everybody know that the core rulebook is indeed delayed. It's delayed for all the right reasons: it will be a better game and a more visually engaging work as a result. The tremendous amount of great feedback from the beta test led me to want to test and change various parts of the manuscript, as well as incorporate some specific feedback on new ideas (like spell-specific corruption and misfire results...which is cool but is word and time intensive to write). I've also managed to work out some scheduling issues with a couple additional old-school artists who will now be able to contribute even more cool art given a little extra time. And finally, I would like to have the modules rolling right on the heels of the core rulebook release, and more time lets us get that train rolling properly.

So, all that said, DCC RPG will be released in February. You'll see that updated on the web site in about a week. You will also see details on the first 8 adventure modules announced at the same time. If you've been on the fence about pre-ordering, I can let you know that now is a good time, as there are a couple more pieces that have come together. First, the additional material is going to increase the page count a bit, and thus the price will rise slightly -- probably to $39.99. I had asked on the forums what everyone's thoughts were and no one objected to "more stuff for a slightly larger release" so don't say I didn't warn you. :) But all pre-orders placed at the old price will be honored. Secondly, and this is most cool, a couple of the old-school artists I've been working with lately are VERY old school, as in they still send me original art in the mail, for me to scan, as opposed to sending me digital scans (which is what most artists do now). I'm talking to a couple of them about using some of the originals as pre-order prizes -- along the lines of "every pre-order will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win original art by so-and-so." Not every pre-order will win but a couple folks out there will be very happy when their name is drawn and they get original art worthy of being framed and hung on their wall for display. I will announce the details of exactly which artists are involved later in the year but it should prove a very fun opportunity for everyone who is a fan of classic D&D artists.

All in all I think the delay will be worthwhile as what you'll be getting will be well worth it. I know it will be a little tough to wait a couple more months so I apologize for that...but it will be worth it!

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

It all sounds good to me!
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

Well I won't say it sounds good to me, but it is definitely understandable and I do appreciate the extra care in producing a quality product. I am really looking forward to this game. I have been waiting for a game like this for some time.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Hi guys,

Your timing is impeccable...I was a few days away from letting everybody know that the core rulebook is indeed delayed. It's delayed for all the right reasons: it will be a better game and a more visually engaging work as a result. The tremendous amount of great feedback from the beta test led me to want to test and change various parts of the manuscript, as well as incorporate some specific feedback on new ideas (like spell-specific corruption and misfire results...which is cool but is word and time intensive to write). I've also managed to work out some scheduling issues with a couple additional old-school artists who will now be able to contribute even more cool art given a little extra time. And finally, I would like to have the modules rolling right on the heels of the core rulebook release, and more time lets us get that train rolling properly.

So, all that said, DCC RPG will be released in February. You'll see that updated on the web site in about a week. You will also see details on the first 8 adventure modules announced at the same time. If you've been on the fence about pre-ordering, I can let you know that now is a good time, as there are a couple more pieces that have come together. First, the additional material is going to increase the page count a bit, and thus the price will rise slightly -- probably to $39.99. I had asked on the forums what everyone's thoughts were and no one objected to "more stuff for a slightly larger release" so don't say I didn't warn you. :) But all pre-orders placed at the old price will be honored. Secondly, and this is most cool, a couple of the old-school artists I've been working with lately are VERY old school, as in they still send me original art in the mail, for me to scan, as opposed to sending me digital scans (which is what most artists do now). I'm talking to a couple of them about using some of the originals as pre-order prizes -- along the lines of "every pre-order will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win original art by so-and-so." Not every pre-order will win but a couple folks out there will be very happy when their name is drawn and they get original art worthy of being framed and hung on their wall for display. I will announce the details of exactly which artists are involved later in the year but it should prove a very fun opportunity for everyone who is a fan of classic D&D artists.

All in all I think the delay will be worthwhile as what you'll be getting will be well worth it. I know it will be a little tough to wait a couple more months so I apologize for that...but it will be worth it!

Thanks,
Joseph
Thanks for the update, Joseph. And kudos to whomever leaked the info before the upcoming announcement. Definitely do the tabloids proud! :lol:
What do you mean no?
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

a 3 months delay, I can do that... I just don't want a "YEARS" delay, like when Diablo II was supposed to be released!
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thanks,
Joseph
Any chance you will include some starting maps to go along with the core rule book and adventures :P Like the Keep On the Borderlands had when it was released? :mrgreen:
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

goodmangames wrote:...DCC RPG will be released in February...
What are the odds of pre-ordering and being able to pick the book up in person at DunDraCon? It'd be just one more reason to look forward to the Con! :D

[offtopic]Also, what are the odds of SWM this year?[/offtopic]
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:
[offtopic]Also, what are the odds of SWM this year?[/offtopic]
What, pray tell, is "SWM"?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

JediOre wrote:What, pray tell, is "SWM"?
Single White Male. Rumored to be the human sacrifice at this years DunDraCon. We got in hot water for decades of only sacrificing women in Princess Leia slave outfits to our occult Toad Lords. So we're having to branch out.

Just kidding.

Or AM I???

:evil:
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

smathis wrote:
JediOre wrote:What, pray tell, is "SWM"?
Single White Male. Rumored to be the human sacrifice at this years DunDraCon. We got in hot water for decades of only sacrificing women in Princess Leia slave outfits to our occult Toad Lords.
It also stands for Star Wars Miniatures, which we failed to put together a game of this past DDC.

Joe and I are suspected of being the last known living parties interested playing SWM. It may be down to just me at this point... :wink:

And as we know, if you are the last known player of any particular game, you go to the head of the DDC sacrifice queue -- which is why I was, ah, curious about Joe's interest level... :mrgreen:

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

smathis wrote:We got in hot water for decades of only sacrificing women in Princess Leia slave outfits to our occult Toad Lords. So we're having to branch out.

Just kidding.

Or AM I???

:evil:
Branch out? I don't know what Toad Lords you're speaking of. The ones I know of may be completely evil, vile, and despicable, but the do have good taste in the ladies! :lol:
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Thanks,
Joseph
I like the idea of a drawing for original DCC art. I also like more DCC for my pre-order money. I guess I can wait until 2/2012.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:It also stands for Star Wars Miniatures, which we failed to put together a game of this past DDC.

Joe and I are suspected of being the last known living parties interested playing SWM. It may be down to just me at this point... :wink:

And as we know, if you are the last known player of any particular game, you go to the head of the DDC sacrifice queue -- which is why I was, ah, curious about Joe's interest level... :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure Joseph is still down with the SWM. Our last GenCon, his wife was still bribing me to harass other booths for limited release minis. Those art majors can be very persuasive. No one wants to be on Mrs. Goodman's bad side.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Abchiptop
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Abchiptop »

The part of me who doesn't want to wait is saddened by this.
The part of me who just started developing my own rpg, however, completely understands.

Return to “DCC RPG General”