Great Flavor Text

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Drew
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Great Flavor Text

Post by Drew »

I love the following from the Beta rules:
There are 716 wizard spells. No more, no less. This number is known because Leetore the Limicker, a great mage of the fourth aeon, successfully contacted a somnolent elder god that sussurated several secrets (in limerick form, of course) before drowsing off forever.
I post it here in the hopes that I can encourage more such flavor in the final draft. The above passage is shamelessly channeling Jack Vance, and I dig it. Anyone else have examples of non-rules bits they like in the rules? Please, dear authors, give us more of the same.
Check out my Gaming Blog at: http://retreatforward.blogspot.com/.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Great Flavor Text

Post by jmucchiello »

Actually, I didn't like that in the book but haven't really complained about because I know the great Leetore misunderstood the sibilant speakings of the sleepy god.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

There should be similar text explaining the number for Mighty Deeds of Arms that can possibly done aside from the "standard 7".
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

One of my favourites is;
What man calls free will is but the options remaining after destiny and the gods have made their plays.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Personally I like the flavor text, although I see it in much the same way as the awesome GM-only maps where it's possible that only a small percentage of the participants may experience it.

And so we see the problem with open playtests among so many people: one person's favorite aspect is also someone else's least favorite. :(

We've seen this with so many elements of this game so far -- character level range, attribute range, number of spells, levels (or not) of spells, importance of luck, rate of healing, and so on. Joseph has gotten us started and somewhere along the line he'll have to weigh in on this and the other topics so that we can all see the direction that the game is headed. My guess is that he will consider flavor text to be a significant part of of the atmosphere of the RPG, but we'll have to wait and see.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Drew
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drew »

jmucchiello wrote:Actually, I didn't like that in the book but haven't really complained about because I know the great Leetore misunderstood the sibilant speakings of the sleepy god.
Why don't you like it? Not sure if serious.
Check out my Gaming Blog at: http://retreatforward.blogspot.com/.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Drew wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:Actually, I didn't like that in the book but haven't really complained about because I know the great Leetore misunderstood the sibilant speakings of the sleepy god.
Why don't you like it? Not sure if serious.
It's too specific. And I've been saying there should not be a lot of spells if you've noticed. 716 is outrageously high to me.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

jmucchiello wrote:It's too specific. And I've been saying there should not be a lot of spells if you've noticed. 716 is outrageously high to me.
I think that number is meant to be "flavour", not a proscription for what will be presented in the rules (either core or expansion).
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Agreed. It's not like there are actually any plans to write up 716 spells or anything like that. It's just a way to say "the world is real and here is a detail" and it's a large enough number that we should never actually attain it. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I'm going to house rule that there are only 666 spells in my campaign. (See what I did there?)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “DCC RPG General”