Zocchi DIce Poll

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

What is the most you would be willing to pay for a full set of Zocchi Dice?

Nothing/Will not buy them
14%
$8-$10 US
9%
$11-$13 US
3%
$14-$16 US
19%
$17-$19 US
3%
$20 -$30 US
16%
I will buy them whatever the cost
5%
I already own some
31%

Total votes: 58

Colin

Re: Zocchi DIce Poll

Post by Colin »

DCCfan wrote:Just got my precision dice and I'm underwhelmed. The giant chunks of excess plastic are a bit much. I don't know how these can be considered precision dice. I'm sorry but for $35 bucks I don't want to spend a bunch of time sanding my dice so they can look like crap :x . The precision made dice used on craps tables don't look like this. Maybe they should have named them Uniquely Unbalanced Dice. :roll: I would not buy another set of these ever again. I think the dice roller mentioned above would have been a better choice.
Any chance you could photograph and share a pic of them, please? I got my standard GameScience polyhedral sets a long while ago and they were perfectly fine, but if the standards of production have dropped (even if only in clipping the dice from the sprue), I'd like to know before I lay out more cash to buy the Zocchi dice I don't have.

Colin
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

RAD Colin wrote:
DCCfan wrote:Just got my precision dice and I'm underwhelmed. The giant chunks of excess plastic are a bit much. I don't know how these can be considered precision dice. I'm sorry but for $35 bucks I don't want to spend a bunch of time sanding my dice so they can look like crap :x . The precision made dice used on craps tables don't look like this. Maybe they should have named them Uniquely Unbalanced Dice. :roll: I would not buy another set of these ever again. I think the dice roller mentioned above would have been a better choice.
Any chance you could photograph and share a pic of them, please? I got my standard GameScience polyhedral sets a long while ago and they were perfectly fine, but if the standards of production have dropped (even if only in clipping the dice from the sprue), I'd like to know before I lay out more cash to buy the Zocchi dice I don't have.

Colin
Sorry, no. I started sanding and trimming them and they look nothing like they did when I started. They have grown on me but most will have one side that is not quite flat and at least one more with gouges in the face. The dice are not going to be precision in my opinion.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Colin

Post by Colin »

That's a shame. Mind you, I just started to process the order for 3 x d14s, 3 x 16s, and 3 x d24s via GameStation and the cheapest P&P option they gave for sending nine freaking dice to the UK was $30!? :evil: I've had flipping rpgs sent Air to the UK for far less than that, and they're considerably larger and heavier than a few bloody dice!

I guess I really will be waiting to see what Goodman comes up with, because as it stands the dice costs are a real barrier, especially for those of us outside the US. :cry:

Colin
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

YIKES :shock: $30 just to ship them! Thats crazy.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Colin

Post by Colin »

DCCfan wrote:YIKES :shock: $30 just to ship them! Thats crazy.
Yeah, it's a rip-off; there's no way the actual P&P would be anything like that. Standard Int'l Air was just over $30, and the next two options were more expensive at $32 and $35 respectively.

Colin
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Unfortunately, I had a similar experience a few years ago when I ordered a set of Precision dice. The d10 and d8 had an ungodly amount of flash on them, while the d4 looked like a rat had taken a bite out of one edge (I'm guess that's where a chunk of flash had been removed).

A fresh X-Acto blade and some fine sandpaper took care of the d10 and the d8, and some 5-minute epoxy filled in the chunk in the d4, but needless to say I wasn't thrilled to have to do any work on dice that were supposed to be "Precision". I've never actually used them in a game because of this.

This might be a rare occurrence, and I'm sure most sets are just fine. If I were to try to buy another set again, though, I'd personally want to see the dice set in a store first.
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Mike_Ferguson wrote: A fresh X-Acto blade and some fine sandpaper took care of the d10 and the d8, and some 5-minute epoxy filled in the chunk in the d4, but needless to say I wasn't thrilled to have to do any work on dice that were supposed to be "Precision". I've never actually used them in a game because of this.
It's not the first time I have read about these problems; and it seems to me that the fraction of these problems is high enough to be statistically significant (i.e. there is some underlying problem with the production of the dice.) Hence the idea of "precision" dice flies straight out the window.

Personally, I still believe that if a game needs so much granularity as to require so many dice types, a more elegant solution is simply to go with a d100. I am so irked by these dice that I have decided to not buy DCC. Sorry. :x :cry:
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

With all the talk of poor quality dice, trimming and sandpaper- I really wished DCC stuck with the "normal" RPG dice that are already easily available. Its starting to turn me off of the game. :cry:
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

Blood Axe wrote:With all the talk of poor quality dice, trimming and sandpaper- I really wished DCC stuck with the "normal" RPG dice that are already easily available. Its starting to turn me off of the game. :cry:
rabindranath72 wrote:Personally, I still believe that if a game needs so much granularity as to require so many dice types, a more elegant solution is simply to go with a d100. I am so irked by these dice that I have decided to not buy DCC. Sorry. :x :cry:
Well I have heard of judgeing a book by its cover before but Nixing a game coz of its dice is a new one on me. And it seems this thread is wandering ever so slightly away from the purpose (as I see it) of these forums. To discuss the DCC rpg.

I shall be looking to see if either of these gentlemen posts again in this forum. If so I shall wonder why :?: That includes a reply to this post as well BTW

If you don't like something fair enough. And if something you might like has one or two undesirable features: also fair enough. The game designer needs to hear that.

So if he has any sense he has heard that some folks don't care for Zocchi's. Now can we get back to discussing the actual game design here...? Though I had sevear misgivings about Zocchi's after a roundabout set of circumstances I got some against my first instinct and have found them in actual play to be...

Dice. They roll they generate a number, that helps me play a decent game. Thats it. The game itself is more than the dice.

As there has been some bad reaction to them perhaps a freebie set of basic Z dice with the game is the way Mr G needs to go even if its a price hike of a few $$. From what I can see a basic set of Zocchis costs about $7 to us the consumer. Surely a game manufacturer would get a better deal, and could pass them onto us gamer's at cost? Or as rabindranath72 said perhaps a second colomb on the larger tables in game could also have a d% breakdown so folks could get started on cha generation without the need for some Z dice? Or both!

Just sayin'....

OK now carry on and flame me..... :P
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Well I have heard of judgeing a book by its cover before but Nixing a game coz of its dice is a new one on me. And it seems this thread is wandering ever so slightly away from the purpose (as I see it) of these forums. To discuss the DCC rpg.

---------------------------
Im not flaming you, but this is how I see it....
Its like buying Monopoly without the dice and little metal car, iron,etc. Or they come badly flawed, you have to work to fix them, buy them at unreasonable price, they are difficult to get, etc.,etc.

The special dice are an integral part of the DCC game, so it seems to be on topic.

This is obviously a problem, so lets work on fixing it. This could potentially cost the DCC game alot of sales & players. So lets see if there is a solution.
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

All of the Zocchi dice can be very easily substituted for by any gamer's "regular" dice, so I do not understand how this even qualifies as a point of contention.

I have been using 2d10 in place of 1d100 for my entire gaming career. Any of these others substitutions requires a similarly negligible effort.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Im not alking about percentile or d100.

Then why even have tables, etc,etc using the special dice?? Why have d30? Just use d20. Doesnt make sense at all.

Here is this new RPG game that uses new/different dice!!! Now dont use them.

You advertise a game using these cool dice, I just want decent quality dice to go with the game.
I dont see why this seem to be asking for too much....

And having to pay top dollar , but trim, clip, sand my dice does not sound reasonable to me.
Bloodsage
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bloodsage »

I have to agree with several other posters here, I don't mind the special dice but I do mind the additional expense. Same with the book being hardcover, an expense passed on to me that I don't care about. $30 for a set of dice, probably more for the book, then to add that I'll need to do maintenance on the dice themselves. Ummm....I'm starting to have misgivings about this game.

Return to “DCC RPG General”