The beta rules will be available...

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

The beta rules will be available...

Post by goodmangames »

...on Wednesday, June 8 from www.goodman-games.com.

'Nuff said. Start your stopwatches. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The beta rules will be available...

Post by Machpants »

Oh what time? ;)
In UTC for the international audience!

Great news anyway, I am really looking forward to it, I guess Thursday morning or something here.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Hamel™
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hamel™ »

I wake up and I read this awesome news: I hope this is not a sign of Donald Trump hairpieces' world invasion. :mrgreen:
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Nice one, Joseph :D
Sean Wills
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Get ready for your server to crash. You might want to feed it some lembas in preparation.

This is extremely good news tome as I will now be able to print it up and take it on holiday with me :D

Thanks greatly.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Stainless wrote:Get ready for your server to crash. You might want to feed it some lembas in preparation.
Cute. 8)

I'm excited about the release date. I think that a lot of folks will be happy with this game and it'll be nice to have more exact details out in the open so we can discuss them for real!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

Thank you Mr. Goodman. I look forward to this, especially since I won't be able to be at Dicehead next week for your demo.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

8)
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Joseph,

What is the page count for your Beta rules?

Thanks.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

Wowza! Two weeks before free RPG day! That's totally unexpected. And completely awesome.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

JediOre wrote:What is the page count for your Beta rules?
168 in total. Plenty of rules, but LOTS of art as well!

As far as actual content goes, the main "space drain" is the spells. The easiest way to PLAY with spells is to have one spell per page, but it's not the most efficient way to lay them out (eats up lots of space). But in every game where we've used the "efficient layouts," the players always dislike having more than one spell per page. It's easiest to just photocopy the spells your wizard has and keep those pages handy. So this layout PLAYS best...but takes up space.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:As far as actual content goes, the main "space drain" is the spells. The easiest way to PLAY with spells is to have one spell per page, but it's not the most efficient way to lay them out (eats up lots of space). But in every game where we've used the "efficient layouts," the players always dislike having more than one spell per page. It's easiest to just photocopy the spells your wizard has and keep those pages handy. So this layout PLAYS best...but takes up space.
That's why I started that other thread. Hopefully once folks have had a chance to read and test the Beta rules, they will have a better idea of whether the current format works for them or not.

Personally I don't see a spell per page as being much of an issue, but it seems to be something that quite a few people have fixated on...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:...it'll be nice to have more exact details out in the open so we can discuss them for real!
...But we can still speculate wildly about levels 6 to 10!

*sets alarm clock for 8 June o'clock*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
AsmodeusDM
Gongfarmer

Post by AsmodeusDM »

Really looking forward to this! Our pathfinder game is just about finished up and we are looking for a "summer game" to play!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Wake me up on Wednesday.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Now that was a MDoA (Monumental Decree of Awesomeness) :D
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

mshensley wrote:Image
+1 :lol:
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

finarvyn wrote:
goodmangames wrote:As far as actual content goes, the main "space drain" is the spells. The easiest way to PLAY with spells is to have one spell per page, but it's not the most efficient way to lay them out (eats up lots of space). But in every game where we've used the "efficient layouts," the players always dislike having more than one spell per page. It's easiest to just photocopy the spells your wizard has and keep those pages handy. So this layout PLAYS best...but takes up space.
That's why I started that other thread. Hopefully once folks have had a chance to read and test the Beta rules, they will have a better idea of whether the current format works for them or not.

Personally I don't see a spell per page as being much of an issue, but it seems to be something that quite a few people have fixated on...
Yes, as long as you print on paper thin enough that several sheets can be laid on top of each other, having a page per spell should not be to much of a problem I would think....

Also, at low levels, I doubt you would need the entire page so, you could just write down the possible casting ranges for each spell and keep that on fewer pages but, that sounds like more work than just flipping though some sheets. After all, I allways had to spend time inbetween turns looking up spells in the players guide so it sounds more convienient than the past.

Actually, in game turns dosnt a spell take up one page per level of spell in the spell book? I would say print out each page and stable them and than you have an actual spell book at the table that you can look up spells in! That sounds cool, even if it dose take up a bit of space. Maybe when the full rules come out, you can put up a free pdf of the spell sheets so people can download them without braking the binding of their book trying to pphoto copy pages. That would be cool.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!!! (Well, my birthday will be the next day... but still!)

So, I'm a player at our local D&D Meetup (gameday) at a local FLGS. I was wondering if I could demo the game at the next meet-up. Since the next game will be way after Free RPG Day, and assuming I get a copy of the adventure, I'd like to run a game of DCC on that day. Any stipulations?
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

reverenddak wrote:So, I'm a player at our local D&D Meetup (gameday) at a local FLGS. I was wondering if I could demo the game at the next meet-up. Since the next game will be way after Free RPG Day, and assuming I get a copy of the adventure, I'd like to run a game of DCC on that day. Any stipulations?
Stipulations: Have fun. Kill some PCs in Joseph's adventure. That's about it, though if you really want to go the distance, take some photos and send them our way. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

I've made this suggestion before, but just in case it got lost in the cracks in the interwebs...

How about laying it out for print, (x spells / page) and producing a pdf w/ one spell per page (w/ very little or no art for ink purposes), and releasing that? You could easily release it w/ the book (especially since you guys are probably using pre-press software e.g. InDesign, etc.), pwd protect it and bingo! You'd have slick printable spell books! Heck, I'd do it for you guys for free if that's an issue. (It's my day job.)

If that's of any interest to you just respond and I'll contact you via email.

Kudos on the early release of the Beta guys! Fantastic work.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Is that Wed at midnight? :D:D:D
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

I'm buying a new printer cartridge today! :D I "discovered" the DCC RPG a few weeks ago, pre-ordered my copy that very day. I've always loved the DCC modules, but this new endeavor has me stoked beyond belief. The beta release will let us jump into the fray earlier than expected. DCC will be our game of choice this summer as well!

Good to be here btw, and darn good to be expecting an awesome game in less than two days.
Jeffrey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jeffrey »

My fingers are already itching!

Return to “DCC RPG General”