Why I love the DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Why I love the DCC RPG

Post by Arawn76 »

I missed out on getting a lot of the early Goodman stuff since I didn't hear about them till 4e was released. After that I grabbed every 4e product they published and just loved the writing style (I even grabbed a few 3.5 despite being over saturated with product already). Since my group didn't make the jump to 4e my purchases tapered off and I sulkingly sold all my stuff.

Now with the release of the DCC RPG I have the opportunity and excuse to pick up what promises to be my kind of game, great old school feel with original mechanics. My group may not make the jump this time either but honestly if all I get to do is read some good product I'll settle for that.

Yay Goodman!
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Why I love the DCC RPG

Post by JediOre »

Arawn76, where does your signature come from?
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

JediOre wrote:Arawn76, where does your signature come from?
It's attributed to Aristotle.
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Arawn76 wrote:I missed out on getting a lot of the early Goodman stuff since I didn't hear about them till 4e was released.

Now with the release of the DCC RPG I have the opportunity and excuse to pick up what promises to be my kind of game, great old school feel with original mechanics.
Arawn, you bring up an excellent point that I'm sure experienced folks don't think about much: getting caught up gets progressively harder as time passes.

I remember playing OD&D back in the days before Holmes Basic and before AD&D. All we had was the white box and supplements. You'd think it would be easy to keep up, right? Well, Strategic Review (and later Dragon) came out regularly so you had to buy those. As TSR began production of AD&D rulebooks and AD&D modules you needed those. When Judges Guild started making stuff, I had to become a subscriber. Slowly the quantity of materials grows larger and larger, to the point where a person who wants to start now has a lot of products to find and a lot of cost to spend.

The DCC modules are the same way. Goodman Games had so much success that they kept putting them out, to where we have 50-60 or so total. And some are really hard to find, being special releases only at conventions or where ever. Again, a person who wants to start right now has his work cut out for him. Plus a lot of expense.

We are potentially on the brink of the launch a really cool RPG. At this point there is a lot of chatter to read but no products to buy. Knowing the kind of support that GG is capable of creating, it's possible that the DCC RPG will see a lot of modules. Possibly a GM screen. Maybe some supplements to the core rulebook. Maybe reprints of key Appendix N books. Who knows where it might go, but we are lucky to be at the start of it so that we don't have to track down a huge backlog of materials. This is, of course, true about any RPG. I think that DCC has the potential to be really special, however, and I think it's even more important with this game to support it from the get-go.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

Arawn76 wrote:Now with the release of the DCC RPG I have the opportunity and excuse to pick up what promises to be my kind of game, great old school feel with original mechanics. My group may not make the jump this time either but honestly if all I get to do is read some good product I'll settle for that.

Yay Goodman!
Yeah, I'm really hoping that it will be as fun to run and play as it appears to be from reports here. When I brought up my running DCC to my husband a couple of days ago, he was surprisingly enthusiastic, a reaction I honestly didn't expect. He's never shown a desire to return to his days of Basic D&D (AD&D, yes, I ran 2e for him and our friends a month ago and they all had a great time), and I thought he'd balk at races as classes, fumbles and crits, and no skill points. But he's all for it, exclaiming that he got almost ten fun years out of Basic and it worked fine and was easy to houserule where wanted. Once I have the DCC Beta in hand I'll spring it on my friends, but as they have expressed a general interest in trying something old style I think this might actually work.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

I have most of the 3.x DCC modules. I am missing the convention ones and a couple of the mass market ones. I don't have the 4e ones because I don't care for 4e, but I may pick them up so I can learn more about Punjar. We shall see how well any of them translate to DCCRPG.

This is also part of why I got so involved with DCCRPG it was the quality of Goodman's modules.

I plan on acquiring whatever gets printed for this game. I have been lucky enough to playtest it and I love it. I think it is going to replace C&C as my go-to game system when I want to run something D&D-esque.

I guess I should add "DCC Fanboi" to my signature. :D
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

dkeester wrote:I guess I should add "DCC Fanboi" to my signature. :D
As a total off-topic aside, can anyone explain why "fanboi" is spelled like that? I assume historically that it comes from "fan boy" which has a Y and not an I at the end. (Another proof that I'm not in the cool crowd: I ask quesitons like this.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

finarvyn wrote:
dkeester wrote:I guess I should add "DCC Fanboi" to my signature. :D
As a total off-topic aside, can anyone explain why "fanboi" is spelled like that? I assume historically that it comes from "fan boy" which has a Y and not an I at the end. (Another proof that I'm not in the cool crowd: I ask quesitons like this.)
Because some kewl guys thought it's a good way to pwn n00bs.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

l33t
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Stainless wrote:l33t
:shock: I don't understand this. I feel so old and un-cool.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

I know it's early days but are Goodman thinking about doing an adventure path style DCC to go with the game? Or at least a series like the Punjar adventures, I loved those.

Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

finarvyn wrote:
Stainless wrote:l33t
:shock: I don't understand this. I feel so old and un-cool.
Pronounced "leet", which is supposed to be a truncation of "elite". It takes advantage of the common "kewl" technique of using numbers in place of letters, preferably if the numbers look like mirror images of the letters.

On this topic, I have to admit to being an original contributor to text writing way back in the day. Long before the public had access to the Internet, before the web, before gopher even, there were only military and academic networks. I was a PhD student in Australia and so had access to Aarnet. Thus, I spent countless hours on Usernet newsgroups, dribbling on about cyberpunkish types of things. I particularly remember being an active member of the extropians usergroup. We soon started using emoticons and then creating abbreviations (LOL, LMAO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.) Little did we know it would all be appropriated by mobile phone text messaging and that the Internet would become such a mainstream culture. Ahhh, the future ain't what it used to be...
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

1337 = leet. Im even older school.

That said, module support will make or break this game. If GG can make lightning strike twice with hefty module support written by DCC greats like Stroh, Ferguson, Pommier, Maffei, etc. It'll be a hit.
An updated Aereth is a must too, though not as vital early on. Every new game should have their own setting IMHO. Aereth being updated would be awesome.

THEN......
we have to nag every damn day until Castle Whiterock gets DCC RPG-ified! You simply cannot let the greatest boxed set of all time not get a revamp!
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

Sunderstone wrote:THEN......
we have to nag every damn day until Castle Whiterock gets DCC RPG-ified! You simply cannot let the greatest boxed set of all time not get a revamp!
Whilst everything you've just is true, this especially so.

I love this box set in an unhealthy way :twisted:

moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Castle white rock is one of the best mega dungeon moduals I have seen. Want to hear someting crazy though? when I tried to buy it from barnes and nobel they rang it up as 9.99 instead of 99.99. When I told the chasier lady that that was the wrong price she snaped rudley at me that it was the right price in a tone that said "how dare you try to tell me how to do my job." I tried to tell her again that the price was wrong and that it should have been about a 100 bucks, not ten, but before I could get the words out she snaped at me again and assured that the machine was right, and that it was 9.99 before tax. So, I finally conceded the point and said apologeticly "ok, that's fine" at got the thing for just over 10 bucks! How cool is that?
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

That is all kinds of awesome, particularly since you tried to do the right thing.

Who says there's no karma :mrgreen:

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I might have been tempted to go back the next day to see if I could buy another copy. :P

On second thought, maybe it's best not to test karma too much. Moes1980 clearly rolled well on his "luck" attribute, buy mine isn't that high...
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

finarvyn wrote:I might have been tempted to go back the next day to see if I could buy another copy. :P

On second thought, maybe it's best not to test karma too much. Moes1980 clearly rolled well on his "luck" attribute, buy mine isn't that high...
They did have a second copy at the time but I felt guilty enough for getting one copy that cheap. Instead, I told other people at my local game store about it incase they wanted to try to pick it up so that they could enjoy it instead if they wanted it but, I don't think any one I talked to followed up on it. In fact, I wonder if the last copy is still there...Sounds like the begginings of a level 0 adventure to me!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

moes1980 wrote:Castle white rock is one of the best mega dungeon moduals I have seen. Want to hear someting crazy though? when I tried to buy it from barnes and nobel they rang it up as 9.99 instead of 99.99. When I told the chasier lady that that was the wrong price she snaped rudley at me that it was the right price in a tone that said "how dare you try to tell me how to do my job." I tried to tell her again that the price was wrong and that it should have been about a 100 bucks, not ten, but before I could get the words out she snaped at me again and assured that the machine was right, and that it was 9.99 before tax. So, I finally conceded the point and said apologeticly "ok, that's fine" at got the thing for just over 10 bucks! How cool is that?
I'm shocked they even had it at B&N. Or did you order it?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

my BnN has a small selection of role playing stuff. Mostly DnD, some shadow run, gurbs, and even warhammer fantasy role play, both current and, when it was in prent, the previous edition. It also has a couple books from osprey publishing for historical wargaming (field of glory) and modern wargaming (force on force). Oh, it also has pathfinder stuff there too. It would not suprise me if I saw DCCRPG there as well. I think they might of had world's largest dungeon at one point too but I might be thinking of a different store. I think the latest new thing they got in is a DC super hero role playing game. It seems to generaly get anything new WOTC puts out (including, at least for a while, star wars d20), as well as a one or two products from other game companies. I even got the battletech starter box and battletech core rule book. I think its also where I got my copy of the Aereth campaing setting. Unfortunantly, they never carry and of the non box set products such as the normal DCC moduals. If they did, or if my game store regularly got them in stock as they were released, I would probably own just about all of them.

Return to “DCC RPG General”