Beta Release Date

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Beta Release Date

Post by Alegur »

Just wondering, as Free RPG Day approaches, do you have a firm release date yet for the beta rules?

Anxiously looking forward to them.

Thanks
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Beta Release Date

Post by goodmangames »

As fast as I can get the layout done. :) Things are moving along pretty well now so the beta rules will probably be released several days before Free RPG Day, maybe a full week or more. I'll keep you guys updated here as soon as I have a final date.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Doomwarden
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Doomwarden »

goodmangames wrote:As fast as I can get the layout done. :) Things are moving along pretty well now so the beta rules will probably be released several days before Free RPG Day, maybe a full week or more. I'll keep you guys updated here as soon as I have a final date.
That is VERY good to hear! :)
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Doomwarden wrote:
goodmangames wrote:As fast as I can get the layout done. :) Things are moving along pretty well now so the beta rules will probably be released several days before Free RPG Day, maybe a full week or more. I'll keep you guys updated here as soon as I have a final date.
That is VERY good to hear! :)
+1
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

Thank you Mr. Goodman. Wasn't trying to pester, just curious.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

The sooner the better. I hope to get it before I leave on vacation.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Can't wait
:D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Apologies lately for the "radio silence" lately but there has been a lot to get done. The good news is that it is getting done! The first draft of the beta rules layout is in the hands of proofreaders. On track to release at least a week before Free RPG Day, maybe more.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

goodmangames wrote:Apologies lately for the "radio silence" lately but there has been a lot to get done. The good news is that it is getting done! The first draft of the beta rules layout is in the hands of proofreaders. On track to release at least a week before Free RPG Day, maybe more.
When I saw your name in this thread I clicked on it so fast I think I created some kind of dopplar effect.

Awesome news!
AlCook
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by AlCook »

sweet:-)
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

proofreaders?

What kind of new fangled thing is this? I've never heard of an rpg company using them before. :wink:
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

Ah! This is excellent news!

Early enough to read so that we could possibly run a game on Free RPG Day! As long as the adventures are brief enough to get a grasp on quickly, and we can get them in our greedy paws first thing on the 18th.

w00t!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:The first draft of the beta rules layout is in the hands of proofreaders. On track to release at least a week before Free RPG Day, maybe more.
I'm about a third of the way through the doccument and it looks very nice so far. (I've even tried to copy some sections of text into a spellchecker and I'm not finding any of the dumb typos yet!) 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
SniperTodd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SniperTodd »

It would be cool if someone made one of desktop-clock widgets. That way we could have our own "DCC Countdown Clock to Awesome" :mrgreen:

As it is, I'll be checking in often! Thanks!
"This is better than DnD, this is Dungeon Crawl Classics..."
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Reviewing the draft layout; Roslof is the man. Such a loss to our community.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:
goodmangames wrote:The first draft of the beta rules layout is in the hands of proofreaders. On track to release at least a week before Free RPG Day, maybe more.
I'm about a third of the way through the doccument and it looks very nice so far. (I've even tried to copy some sections of text into a spellchecker and I'm not finding any of the dumb typos yet!) 8)
This bodes well. One reason for dropping C&C was the insane number of typos even after FOUR REPRINTS of the game. :evil:
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

rabindranath72 wrote:This bodes well. One reason for dropping C&C was the insane number of typos even after FOUR REPRINTS of the game. :evil:
+1
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I succeeded at a luck roll and have been proof-reading as well. I'll take the artwork from the draft version of these rules over any RPG I've seen released in 20+ years. (Date limited to make up for poor memory!)

The amount of rules that you need to read to run the level 0 Free RPG day adventure isn't huge. If you want to be able to wing the level 1 adventure you decide to run afterwards (when the players demand more) it will take a few more hours of prep.

For level 0 there aren't really any spells and good old level 0 characters are class-less so you really just need to read combat, character creation, a bit on skill checks, and of course the most important part of any level 0 adventure - dying.

I think anyone familiar with 3.x and real D&D will pick things up very quickly.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

kataskicana wrote:The amount of rules that you need to read to run the level 0 Free RPG day adventure isn't huge. If you want to be able to wing the level 1 adventure you decide to run afterwards (when the players demand more) it will take a few more hours of prep.

For level 0 there aren't really any spells and good old level 0 characters are class-less so you really just need to read combat, character creation, a bit on skill checks, and of course the most important part of any level 0 adventure - dying.

I think anyone familiar with 3.x and real D&D will pick things up very quickly.
Exactly, and based on the quality of the pre-Beta draft I expect that the Beta release will be on schedule or before. Doesn't seem like a lot things need to get fixed. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

FWIW, the lucky folks at North Texas RPG Con are playing off of the draft Beta.

Have I mentioned the art is gorgeous? :twisted:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Harley Stroh wrote:FWIW, the lucky folks at North Texas RPG Con are playing off of the draft Beta.

Have I mentioned the art is gorgeous? :twisted:

//H

C'mon, you're killing me. Just release it already. :(
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Um, on your home page it sounds like the beta is being released sometime next week? is this true? any ideas on if it will be early or late next week? I can't sleep im so excited!

Return to “DCC RPG General”