Aereth reboot for DCC RPG?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Aereth reboot for DCC RPG?

Post by Stainless »

[Edit] Darn, I should have done a search before posting. I've now found the thread where Aereth is discussed (I even posted in it!) Must drink more coffee..... Still, I'm curious about my question at the end of this post.[/Edit]

Since the Gazetteer of the Known Realms is out of print and you can't get it for love or money (actually you can get it, but only for silly-money), are there any plans to reprint/revise it for the DCC RPG system?

If I understand the history correctly, the DCC modules were written setting-independently, but after popular demand, Aereth was created in order to loosely 'house' the modules. It must have made business sense then and I predict it would continue to make business sense to revise Aereth for the DCC RPG; based on the expectation that te DCC RPG will be popular and that many gamers like to have a published setting, even a fairly basic and loosely fleshed out one.

Anyway, I cast my vote for a DCC RPG version of Aereth.

To those who know the 'current' version of Aereth, what would you change/'correct' in a new edition?
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Aereth reboot for DCC RPG?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Funny that just the other day, the term "Aereth Two" popped into my head.

Not sure where I've heard it before, but it's kinda catchy...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

There have been some discussions along this line. It isn't perfectly clear how best to implement a reboot and still keep the classic villains associated with the session. We're working on a couple possibilities (and I'm pulling for a Punjar Gaz, of course) but time and demand will tell.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:...demand will tell.
I demand a Punjar Gaz. *holds out hands, ready for book to plunk into them*
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:...demand will tell.
I demand a Punjar Gaz. *holds out hands, ready for book to plunk into them*
:mrgreen:

Harley should know why I find this pretty funny! (It's being well preserved!)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:Funny that just the other day, the term "Aereth Two" popped into my head.

Doesn't Supermaen live there? (Or is that a Marvel byproduct?) :lol:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Harley should know why I find this pretty funny! (It's being well preserved!)
Eerie, really. 8)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:Funny that just the other day, the term "Aereth Two" popped into my head.

Doesn't Supermaen live there? (Or is that a Marvel byproduct?) :lol:
He does, but he sticks to the icy North (something about sticking out his tongue at the wrong moment). So, really, it's Baetmaen and Aeuqaemaen (and occasionally a sorceress named Zaetaennae) you have to watch out for...

Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Funny, I still like "Aereth One". :)

There's a lot of interesting places in the original Gazetteer that never got explored in any DCC modules. The far north, lots of the Southlands, most of the Lostlands ...

I hope some of the new DCC adventures are set in those places. :)
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

I don't know, I am kind of leaning towards the development of a new campagin setting customed tailored to the new game. But either way, I would like it they continue to have an interactive map with the locations of all the moduals. That is really cool I think.
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

I'd love a reboot (re-release) of Aereth. I have the original Gazetter on PDF but any excuse to buy a hardcopy is more than welcome.
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

IMHO, you guys need to do a campaign setting with your new DCC RPG. A unique setting and robust module support all working with the new rules ties up the new DCC RPG into the perfect package. A fresh start for anyone looking to get into a great new game. YMMV of course.

Releasing DCC without a setting is like...
Paizo's Pathfinder without Golarion, WotC's 4E without what they are passing off as FR (ok, never mind this WotC example), AD&D without Greyhawk or FR, Green Ronin without Freeport, etc. You would just be another company putting out yet another set of rules.

As far as what I'm reading so far about DCC RPG, im still on the fence for a PDF only. If Aereth comes back under these rules and we get a plethora of module releases like the old DCCs. I'd get a hardcopy of it all. Im the kind of GM that doesnt have much time to create like I did when I was ALOT younger. RL at age 40+ gets a tad busy but I may just be the minority (doubtful though). :)

New setting is cool too, though I like Aereth.
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

The problem with PDF-only settings is the maps. Maps that I print off and tape together can't compete with a map printed by a game company on large heavy paper.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Sunderstone wrote:RL at age 40+ gets a tad busy but I may just be the minority (doubtful though). :)
Yep, time is at a premium, especially when you have young children. Hence, a published setting, even if one then heavily mods it, is worth its weight in gold.

Having said that, I've been toying with the idea of creating a campaign setting that is just one fairly large valley. Locked on all sides by un-scalable cliffs and with a deadly dungeon at one end as the only way out. That way, I can get a beginner group of players up to level within the 'safe' confines of the valley, emphasise interpersonal interactions and roleplaying, rather than monster bashing, and when they're capable enough to get through the dungeon, release them to the wider world. By that time, I'll hopefully have settled on a published setting and can just plop the valley into any location I want.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Stainless wrote:Yep, time is at a premium, especially when you have young children. Hence, a published setting, even if one then heavily mods it, is worth its weight in gold.

Having said that, I've been toying with the idea of creating a campaign setting that is just one fairly large valley. Locked on all sides by un-scalable cliffs and with a deadly dungeon at one end as the only way out. That way, I can get a beginner group of players up to level within the 'safe' confines of the valley, emphasise interpersonal interactions and roleplaying, rather than monster bashing, and when they're capable enough to get through the dungeon, release them to the wider world. By that time, I'll hopefully have settled on a published setting and can just plop the valley into any location I want.
Elegant.

moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Well, I got to read the adventure starter and it refrenced Aereth so, sounds like they plan to stick with that setting at least initially. But I agree, a full setting just for DCCRPG would be really cool, and it should defenintly be a box set, no pdf nonsense.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

moes1980 wrote:Well, I got to read the adventure starter and it refrenced Aereth so, sounds like they plan to stick with that setting at least initially. But I agree, a full setting just for DCCRPG would be really cool, and it should defenintly be a box set, no pdf nonsense.

I like boxed sets! :D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

moes1980 wrote:Well, I got to read the adventure starter and it refrenced Aereth so, sounds like they plan to stick with that setting at least initially. But I agree, a full setting just for DCCRPG would be really cool, and it should defenintly be a box set, no pdf nonsense.
I'd vote for (and purchase) a boxed set, particularly if an Aereth reboot was redesigned to be more "Appendix N" in flavor. With nice maps. I'll mention that again. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

finarvyn wrote:
I'd vote for (and purchase) a boxed set, particularly if an Aereth reboot was redesigned to be more "Appendix N" in flavor. With nice maps. I'll mention that again. :wink:
Maybe that is the best idea, not a new setting but an update of the current setting to appendix N style, and again, with a box set, and defenintly with new maps. I like how the old boxset had both a player map, and dm maps, with only some of the world on the player's map.

In the box set, this is what i would like to see personally:

1. The original setting has the north lands, the south lands, the lost lands, and I thought another region. So, have a players hand out, like a flyer you can photo copy, with just basic and commonly known information and geography (i.e. a small player map) for each region. This way, the GM can hand out copies of these flyers (or something similar, the idea is to keep it short and sweet) to the players depending on which region the campaign starts in (and of course, the info could be real or false, and the maps might not be that accurate, and certainly dont include everything). Just enough information and art to really help the players get immersed into the setting (if you really wanted to go all out, do it for each kingdom)

2. GM only book with all the other details that the players wouldnt know, but the DM could use, such as extensive history, and more detail about rulling families, wilderness monsters, etc.

3. a really beautiful and big color map. I didnt really like that the one map was in three sections in the old box set, I would rather have a full map, even if its a bit smaller.

For me, I want a campaing to provide materials to help draw the players into the game and become invested in it, but most of the time, 99 percent of a campaign is not even used. So I suggest instead gear the game to aiding all the players in getting imersed into the fantasy world rather than exhustive lists of dieties, 3-4 pages of historical time line, and other such stuff.

any other ideas?
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

Was wondering this very thing "Will the 'default' campaign be Aereth for DCC RPG?" So I searched and came up with this thread. I noticed the alignment section and Gods section referenced Aereth as well. So it sounds like a good bet.

Maybe you could do the reboot RE Howard style and set it in Aereth's heroic and more savage past? Sort of like the "Valusian" age of Aereth, only without Valusia.

I'm curious to see what the plan is.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I DEMAND a Punjar GAZ!!

(holds out hands)
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I know this is a Thread Necro but any word on this?

I would really love a premade setting for my DCCRPG.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Nope, no word yet.

Colin
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

<–– still lurking.

I'd like an Aereth reboot too. I also want to know if PDFs are available or will be available for all the modules even the pre order and demo editions. I'd like to pick up DCC, but the collector in me demands the whole shebang. :)

Coincidentally, I'm on my 2nd read through of Castle Whiterock. I miss my DCCs! Aereth's time to shine was brief, it deserves a reboot.
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
Colin

Post by Colin »

The pdfs of the Free RPG Day and standard modules are already available and have been for a while via DTRPG/RPGnow. The pre-order modules, I doubt will be; IIRC, Joseph wants such things to remain special as incentives for folks who actually pre-order stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG General”