The DCC RPG and Spellslinging

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The DCC RPG and Spellslinging

Post by Geoffrey »

What will be the highest level of spells in this game? Ninth, or something else?
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Must. Stop. Reading.

Can't. Afford. Pre-order. This. Month.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Must ... not ... make fun ... of ... GnomeBoy ... ugh ... can't resist!
GnomeBoy wrote:Must. Stop. Reading.

Oh, stop whining! Stop eating and pretty soon you'll have saved up enough for a pre-order. Then you, too, can be one of the cool kids on the block! :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Your words have weight, sir. Eating is overrated anyway. Soon your words will outweigh me! And cool sounds really, um, ...cool?
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

finarvyn wrote:Must ... not ... make fun ... of ... GnomeBoy ... ugh ... can't resist!

Oh, stop whining! Stop eating and pretty soon you'll have saved up enough for a pre-order. Then you, too, can be one of the cool kids on the block! :P
Sounds like it is time for the Ramen noodle and popcorn diet. :lol:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ketchup, from ketchup packets from fast food restaurants + hot water = tomato soup!

Spellslinging sounds really cool. I like the fewer-number,-no-need-for-progressions-of-the-same-idea idea A LOT. As much as I've played D&D over the years in various forms, and as much as I enjoy playing a magic-user, I detest the magic system on many levels -- so the DCC RPG magic system is exciting to look forward to...!

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Tonight at 9: Local gnome dies of malnutrition while nibbling on old character record sheets.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
UHF
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by UHF »

Magic sounds like Role Master Spell Lists... with more thought put into them.

I've never been a big fan of critical tables. I think that stems from the issue of, what happens to a player character that is hit by a crit (to be really crisp... I'm lucky.. I roll well quite often), and tables tend to get old... the last thing you want to do is stop and flip flip flip... that doesn't keep the fun going.

I was done with crits after a few years with Role Master, aka Skill Master.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

UHF wrote:Magic sounds like Role Master Spell Lists... with more thought put into them.

I've never been a big fan of critical tables. I think that stems from the issue of, what happens to a player character that is hit by a crit (to be really crisp... I'm lucky.. I roll well quite often), and tables tend to get old... the last thing you want to do is stop and flip flip flip... that doesn't keep the fun going.

I was done with crits after a few years with Role Master, aka Skill Master.
The crit tables in DCC RPG aren't as long and detailed as those in Rolemaster...more like those in the old versions of Warhammer FRP (but not as deadly). Somewhere between "flip flip flip" and "Gee, I do double damage...AS ALWAYS."
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
UHF
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by UHF »

Cool.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Tonight at 9: Local gnome dies of malnutrition while nibbling on old character record sheets.
:mrgreen:

Actually, I've discovered that some dice can be very nutritious.

Calcium: it does a body good.

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:Actually, I've discovered that some dice can be very nutritious.

Calcium: it does a body good.
Err, that's not actual bone my friend...
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Geoffrey wrote:What will be the highest level of spells in this game? Ninth, or something else?
I'll let you know when I know. :) I think that when people read the spell system and the spell descriptions, it will trigger lots of cool ideas beyond what I've thought of. I think there's a lot you can do with it and after every playtest I end up with even more notes. So I'm writing the rules with the assumption that there will be lots of "after-market" additions on blogs, forums, 3PP products, etc. So the answer will probably be "something else"...and we'll see what it is together!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Err, that's not actual bone my friend...
http://www.threadless.com?streetteam=bygrinstow

So? Sometimes a Gnome can dress up as a clown, no?

Fonkin Hoddypeak
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Fonkin Hoddypeak »

Geoffrey wrote:What will be the highest level of spells in this game? Ninth, or something else?
Would there even be a need for spell levels? If all spells are scalable (and still useful) at higher levels?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Fonkin Hoddypeak wrote:Would there even be a need for spell levels? If all spells are scalable (and still useful) at higher levels?
The spell check DC is 10 + (spell level x 2). So the minimum DC for a successful level 1 spell is DC 12. Minimum check for a successful level 2 spell is DC 14. And so on. A level 1 spell may have the same effect on any check result of 30+, whereas a level 3 spell might have an even more powerful effect on a check result of 34-35 than on 30-33. So the difficulty of casting, and the range of effects, can still scale with level.

Something I've played with is letting lower-level casters take higher-level spells. Since a level 2 spell requires a higher check result to be successful (minimum DC 14 vs. DC 12 for level 1)...well, if a level 1 wizard wants to take a level 2 spell right off the bat, why not? It's harder to get an effective result and he'll more than likely not succeed in his attempts to cast it, but at least he could have the option. Anyway, still playing with that idea.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote: Something I've played with is letting lower-level casters take higher-level spells. Since a level 2 spell requires a higher check result to be successful (minimum DC 14 vs. DC 12 for level 1)...well, if a level 1 wizard wants to take a level 2 spell right off the bat, why not? It's harder to get an effective result and he'll more than likely not succeed in his attempts to cast it, but at least he could have the option. Anyway, still playing with that idea.
You could allow it as an option, emphasizing to the GM to make any failures of such attempts will be more...severe. I'm sure a 3PP can come up with something really nasty for spell backlash, e.g., "So, your 1st level PC failed miserably to cast that 5th level spell, eh? Hmmm. Let me check my SGG(tm)'s Spells Gone Awry...ah! Since there's a difference of four levels, that's gonna add +20 to the Spell Failure Chart. What'd roll? Oh, dear. Well, suddenly your PC screams as his arms transform into tentacles. The screams are cut short as the tentacles wrap around your throat. Please make a Fortitude save...."
Last edited by joela on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you mean no?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

goodmangames wrote:Something I've played with is letting lower-level casters take higher-level spells....
On the face of it, I love that idea.

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

GnomeBoy wrote:
goodmangames wrote:Something I've played with is letting lower-level casters take higher-level spells....
On the face of it, I love that idea.
I also like that idea. It allows PCs the chance (however remote) to get to the good stuff sooner. It has long seemed sad to me that ninth-level spells (to take the most extreme example) are practically never used by PCs because the PCs very seldom reach high enough level to use these spells. This concern is underscored by the fact that the DCC game "is built on the assumption that some characters will die."
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by JRR »

Hmmm. Suppose a first level wizard knew all the spells of a certain school or theme. Every level. He wouldn't be able to cast most of them at all, and some he could cast if he got very lucky, and the low level spells, he'd generally be able to pull off. A first level wizard would need a 28 to cast meteor storm. Probably not possible, but a fifth level wizard rolling a nat 20 +cl+3 for a high int (I'm just guessing at how it works here) could just barely pull it off, but he's more likely to melt his brain or polymorph his eyeballs. I say let him try! Hehehe
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:I'll let you know when I know. :)
Tunnels & Trolls uses a 20-level spell system, which is kind of a neat range. There are lots of low-level spells and progressively fewer and fewer as the levels climb.

Also of note is that casting spells in T&T has a minimum INT required which gets higher with higher spell levels. (I believe that T&T also includes a cost to learn the spell from the Wizard’s Guild, which goes up as spell level goes up.)
  • Level 1 spell = 10 INT, 8 Dex, 0 GP to learn
  • Level 2 spell = 12 INT, 9 DEX, 500 GP to learn
  • Level 3 spell = 14 INT, 10 DEX, 1000 GP to learn
  • Level 10 spell = 28 INT, 17 DEX, 4500 GP to learn
  • Level 20 spell = 48 INT, 27 DEX, 9500 GP to learn
Clearly, T&T has a different attribute scale (although it starts with 3d6) but you get the idea.
Fonkin Hoddypeak wrote:Would there even be a need for spell levels? If all spells are scalable (and still useful) at higher levels?
goodmangames wrote:The spell check DC is 10 + (spell level x 2). So the minimum DC for a successful level 1 spell is DC 12. Minimum check for a successful level 2 spell is DC 14. And so on. A level 1 spell may have the same effect on any check result of 30+, whereas a level 3 spell might have an even more powerful effect on a check result of 34-35 than on 30-33. So the difficulty of casting, and the range of effects, can still scale with level.
Of course, this means that the equation might have to be adjusted based on the number of spell levels. If the number of levels is too high, it becomes virtually impossible to achieve success.

Another question would be “3E compatibility” -- it might be nice to be some simple conversion so that a 3E spell from the SRD could be converted over to the new system. (For example, if you go with 18 spell levels a person could take a 3E spell and multiply level by 2 to get a quick approximation.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:. (I believe that T&T also includes a cost to learn the spell from the Wizard’s Guild, which goes up as spell level goes up.)
In DCC RPG there is no wizard's guild. Wizards are scarce, and the few there are guard their secrets jealously. "Obtaining magical knowledge should be part of the adventure. Finding new spells and magical knowledge should be a motivational goal for any wizard player." In other words, if you don't do the legwork or library work to discover that Abu-Zihar's Loathsome Yawning is only inscribed on the teeth of Gudru the Immortal Giant King, and then track down Gudru and convince him to let you look at his teeth, you don't get to learn any new spells!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Fabio.MilitoPagliara
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Fabio.MilitoPagliara »

goodmangames wrote:
a) The spell check DC is 10 + (spell level x 2). So the minimum DC for a successful level 1 spell is DC 12. Minimum check for a successful level 2 spell is DC 14. And so on. A level 1 spell may have the same effect on any check result of 30+, whereas a level 3 spell might have an even more powerful effect on a check result of 34-35 than on 30-33. So the difficulty of casting, and the range of effects, can still scale with level.

b) Something I've played with is letting lower-level casters take higher-level spells. Since a level 2 spell requires a higher check result to be successful (minimum DC 14 vs. DC 12 for level 1)...well, if a level 1 wizard wants to take a level 2 spell right off the bat, why not? It's harder to get an effective result and he'll more than likely not succeed in his attempts to cast it, but at least he could have the option. Anyway, still playing with that idea.
a) well since you are doing table with the spells, instead of spell level you could just write "spell difficulty", but spell level are quite endorsed in the game so you can keep them :)
one solution:
Sleep
base DC: 12 (1st level spell)

b) since you are playing with the idea of letting a mage to learn any level of spell, you could take another route: maximum number of ready spell starting with 4-7 and giving +1 each 2 level (this would be particularly appropriate if you don't lose spells when you cast them) so a mage could go from 6 to 16 ready spell (1st to 20th level) :)
if he want's to loads himself with powerful but dangerous to cast spell or simple but less powerful spells... his choice. :)
in D&D since 1984
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

mythfish wrote:Wizards are scarce, and the few there are guard their secrets jealously.
My favorite conception of a fantasy game world is exactly this. If a wizard were to walk into town -- and people discovered he was a wizard -- he might be run out of town (or worse) by afeared and angry villagers, or they might all keep their eyes on him, suspicious, wary, afraid they might do the 'wrong' thing, and ready to bolt if it looks like he's pulling out a wand... There are no arcane schools. There is no trade in magic items. A wizard is in contact with forces most folks don't even want to think about, much less explore. They aren't normal, even if they look normal. The guy that wanders the land in his furs, resting that huge battle axe on his shoulder is scary -- wizards are just unimaginable.

Yay for wizards. :mrgreen:

Fabio.MilitoPagliara
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Fabio.MilitoPagliara »

GnomeBoy wrote: My favorite conception of a fantasy game world is exactly this. If a wizard were to walk into town -- and people discovered he was a wizard -- he might be run out of town (or worse) by afeared and angry villagers, or they might all keep their eyes on him, suspicious, wary, afraid they might do the 'wrong' thing, and ready to bolt if it looks like he's pulling out a wand...
I think that a good way to enforce this is that fumbled spell affects people who have seen the wizard casting a spell or just people who spoke to the wizard in the last week (or friends and so on)

e.g. all that spoke to the wizards in the last week get the cough (-2 on communication and what you want) for 1 week
e.g. all that have seen the wizards casting the spell will have nightmares for 1 week....

and so on

this would lead people to shun wizards and wizards to live like heremits....

furthemore the party members would have a lot of problems
in D&D since 1984

Return to “DCC RPG General”