Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Father Goose »

Greetings Gamers!
I thought I would join the forum and get to know the good folks here. I used to be very active on the Palladium forums, but was increasingly turned off by some of the more vocal trolls to the point that I just stopped logging on.
I only recently purchased the DCC book and started reading with plans to run my first game in a few weeks.
I fell in love with the material immediately and I am very excited to get into it.
So, a little background:
My father started playing D&D with his friends back in the 70s. I came along in the early 80s, but my mother forbade my father from allowing me to play until I was a teenager. That didn't stop me from reading all the AD&D (2e) books, all the Forgotten Realms novels, and any other fantasy materials I could find.
When I was a teen and my dad discovered that I was secretly buying my own copies of the core books to run games for my friends, he decided that the prohibition from my mother against my playing was no longer applicable. That evening, he ran an adventure in Shadowdale for me, my younger brothers, and my uncle. I was hooked.
Fast forward a couple decades and change and now I run games for my own children and my wife.
We have played Pathfinder, Fantasy AGE, Palladium (Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, Rifts, Nightbane), and while all are fun in their own way, each was lacking that something special. Now I have DCC and MCC that I have been reading and honestly, I don't remember the last time I was excited about a game. So much so that I have backed 2 Kickstarters (one for dice, the other is the Tournament of Pigs) and haven't even played the game yet.
Anyway, I hope to interact with many of you as I work my way through the forum, and if I fi d the free time to be active on Discord again, I'm sure I'll see some of you there.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Welcome, Father Goose! There are a lot of golden eggs laid within, so have a gander at the forums! ;)
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Bobjester wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:37 pm Welcome, Father Goose! There are a lot of golden eggs laid within, so have a gander at the forums! ;)
Thank you for the entertaining welcome. Your name certainly fits you. :lol:
I have been poking around the forums and would agree that there is some great material here. I can't wait to dig deeper and contribute my own ideas, insights, questions, etc.
Feirsteax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Feirsteax »

Hello Crawlers,

I'm a TTRPG fan from Ireland, and have just recently discovered the joys of DCC RPG. The artwork, the simplified mechanics, the wacky dice and mind bending magic system, all of it jumped out at me and after watching various videos and listening to podcasts I decided I had to get the core book.

Last night I judged DCC for the first time, I ran Portal Under the Stars for a group of five, some newer than others to the hobby, but none were completely green.

I have a feeling I gave them too many 0-levels (4 each), as it became quite the brain-burner keeping track of them all (especially after they split up after the statue room and ran off into 4 different rooms 😭).

That being said, I absolutely loved running it, and some of the players did too. I'm looking forward to running again (I will try Portal once more with a fresh group, hopefully learning from the first experiment to make sure the experience is snappier and smoother) and delving deeper into the DCC RPG experience.

All of the modules, core books and community created supplements that I've read up on so far have been at the very least wild and interesting and usually mesmerisingly fascinating with their depth of fun ideas and beautiful artwork, all inspired (as I've learned from reading the core book) by fiction in the vein of Appendix N (which I'm now discovering for the first time, enjoying my time reading the tales from the dying earth, extremely weird and full of inspiration for future sessions, which is great).

Alright, that's my intro, really appreciate all the posts on this forum and the users who's posts from 2012 I have happened across and found invaluable. Even if they're not active any more, it's cool we can all still look back on that stuff and find something interesting.

I look forward to posting with you all and crawling deeper into the world of D C C R P G :mrgreen:
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Feirsteax wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:02 pm Alright, that's my intro, really appreciate all the posts on this forum and the users who's posts from 2012 I have happened across and found invaluable. Even if they're not active any more, it's cool we can all still look back on that stuff and find something interesting.
:mrgreen:
Welcome and well met!
I also started with Portal for my first funnel and found it equally entertaining and confusing for my players. Since then, each game has become better and more exciting, so just keep at it!
I also like being able to look back across the last decade and see what people have posted.
It's interesting to watch someone like Raven Crowking start as an enthusiastic supporter with high hopes, then see him start to fall in love with DCC, then become a true believer. It provides a beautiful timeline for this community and gives you something exciting to look forward to when you too join as a hopeful and enthusiastic supporter.
IshudBplaynguitar
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Wayland's Forge

Post by IshudBplaynguitar »

I cannot believe how thick the rulebook is.. but then I considered it's like putting the DMG, PG and MM all in one. No sweat, I'll finish it by teatime tomorrow :D

Started as a Basic D&D/Red Box player back in....Easter 1985 I reckon!!
Feirsteax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Feirsteax »

Welcome! There are also some Discord servers that have good discussions about DCC, one called DungeonCrawlers is quite active. There's also the DCC RPG Rocks! Facebook group.

And yes, the rulebook is an absolute Tome
rustleinthewoods
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Astral Games

Post by rustleinthewoods »

Salvete!

At eight-years of age I saw the red dragon & warrior Elmore red box in a catalog. I must have talked about it enough that it showed up under the Christmas tree that year. I subsequently pressed my family and then my neighborhood into service imaginating shared-story games.

Since then my characters (and those I’ve Judged) have conquered Karameikos, fought worms on Volturnus, saved Krynn, discovered death in Greyhawk & Golarion, sold black market goods as privateers on oceans and throughout intergalactic dimensions, studied the mysteries of existence to uncover power by spell & service, have achieved insanity or enlightenment many times over, and have had to put the lid back on forces that have leaked uninvited into realities far & near.

OAR brought me here the first time. And DCC has kept me returning. It’s quite fun! Thanks to all the community I’ve met so far. Those first games at Demo Night & Empire of the Cyclops Con were welcome detours from a world gone mad.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

Welcome, New Peeps!
Egg of Coot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Gameshelf

Post by Egg of Coot »

Hello,

Egg of Coot here. I've been gaming for about thirty-five years (give or take) and paint miniatures semi-professionally. Was a moderator over at Dragonsfoot for close to a decade - recognize some of the usual suspects from over there posting here - so some of you will know me. Got into DCC is the last year or so after a rather lengthy hiatus - my other hobby, restoring classic British cars, was taking up a lot of my time the past while. Really liking the game system so far.

The Egg
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

Egg of Coot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:05 am Hello,

Egg of Coot here. I've been gaming for about thirty-five years (give or take) and paint miniatures semi-professionally. Was a moderator over at Dragonsfoot for close to a decade - recognize some of the usual suspects from over there posting here - so some of you will know me. Got into DCC is the last year or so after a rather lengthy hiatus - my other hobby, restoring classic British cars, was taking up a lot of my time the past while. Really liking the game system so far.

The Egg
Well met, Egg! I recognized the name from Dragonsfoot when I saw your post in another thread. 8)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Egg of Coot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:05 am Hello,

The Egg
Thrice welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Bobugbubilz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bobugbubilz »

Hello everyone.

Anyone know how to pronounce my name?

I’ve been pronouncing it Bob-ug-bubbles.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome!

I've said it as "Bo BUG Buh Bilz" for years...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Regardless of intent, it always seems to come out "bogoboboboubblzzzzzz" for me. And welcome to the community!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

BOB! Bug! Bubbles! Welcome!
Oldskolgmr
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Isle of Games

Post by Oldskolgmr »

Hello all,
I'm Mike, I started gaming with Tunnels & Trolls 5th ed. back in the 80's for a year. Joined a GURPS group for ten-12 years in the 90's, and I'm just returning to TTRPGS. COVID has been a big driver on that. I play in an Original Empire of the Petal Throne game (EPT/Tekumel), and now I decided to try DCC because there's a lot of games to join. (I would also be interested in discussing FKR, or Classic RQ, on other forums).
I love how easy DCC plays, and I adore the funnel system. (A painless background for characters).

Cheers!
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Mike. I know that username!
Probably for good reasons. :)
Jakob
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Otherland Bookshop, Berlin

Post by Jakob »

Hi everyone,
I'm Jakob, I have played some DCC, and to be honest, I don't really have a history with old-school games - I grew up playing our native German RPGs "Das schwarze Auge" and "Midgard" in the 80s and then quickly added a lot of stuff like MERP, Stormbringer and CoC to that list as they were published in German, but never really got into any edition of D&D.
However, playing DCC turned out a lot of fun just for the gonzo energy of it; and at the moment, I just feel like reading some DCC and socializing about it.
Last edited by Jakob on Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

I’ve heard a lot about Das schwarze Auge, need to learn more though. Welcome!!
Jakob
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Otherland Bookshop, Berlin

Post by Jakob »

rredmond wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:25 am I’ve heard a lot about Das schwarze Auge, need to learn more though.
I'll write a blog article about it and link it here!
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Jakob wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:06 am I'll write a blog article about it and link it here!
Excellent, thanks!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
AvgMidhamChad
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Quantum Games

Post by AvgMidhamChad »

Hello,

Not actually new to DCC, but I've not been active much. Big fan of the system, basically bought everything for it that can reasonably be attained. Great system, great game.
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Welcome DanielleFredericksn and AvgMidhamChad good to have you both here!!

Return to “DCC RPG General”