Alignment of Aquil'iya in DcCC #51 - inconsistency

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Skizac
Gongfarmer

Alignment of Aquil'iya in DcCC #51 - inconsistency

Post by Skizac »

On page 576 of DCC #51 (Castle Whiterock), in the limitations section describing the intelligent artifact Aquil'iya, it says that "any creature whose alignment is not lawful good gains two negative levels if he or she so much as picks up the item". However, on page 577, the alignment of Aquil'iya is listed as N. Additionally, on page 71, the listing for the creature who initially has Aquil'iya in her possession lists her alignment as N.

So, is it true that the ring's alignment is neutral, but only lawful good creatures can use it without level loss, or is the limitation supposed to be that only neutral creatures can use the ring?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Alignment of Aquil'iya in DcCC #51 - inconsistency

Post by Harley Stroh »

Skiz,

Welcome to the forums, and great question. Let me ping the authors.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Skizac,

Again, welcome to the forums!

I wrote that section of CW back in 2006 and 2007, so I need to review the material and try to recall what my original thinking was. Off the top of my head, the LG entry is a mistake, and it should be N. Based on the nature of the magic item, the LG restriction doesn't really fit.

When I get a chance, I'll try to piece it together and post another reply.

I hope you are enjoying the boxed set. Feel free to post any summaries of your games (if you are playing it). We enjoy reading them!

Chris
Skizac
Gongfarmer

Post by Skizac »

Hi, Chris! Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my question. I've been thoroughly enjoying Castle Whiterock. It's without a doubt the best written mega dungeon I've ever read.
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Skiz,

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It was a blast to write and design, but did put my life on hold for almost a year.

Last night I got a chance to finally open the pdf and re-read the ring entry. I honestly have no idea where the LG restriction came from. The only thing that has anything to do with LG is in the history of the ring when it was wielded by a paladin. Since the ring is Neutral, and its personality is Neutral, I'd suggest dropping the LG negative level restriction. If you want, you could replace it with a Neutral Alignment restriction, as that seems to fit better. If you do this, you just need to tweak the history implying that the paladin overcame the negative levels, or switch it from a paladin to a figher or ranger. There is a good chance the PCs would never learn all of the details of the ring's backstory anyway.

I hope that clears things up. If you get a chance, post some of your group's exploits. I'd enjoy reading them.

Chris

Return to “Castle Whiterock”