Castle Whiterock

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Is CW part of the Known realms? I mean is it officially integrated as it is a DCC module? I just want to know if I can steal this to run it or if my son gets it?

I told him he could have first dibs at any DCC module (Known Realms) since he took the Known Realms as his campaign world. lol Little did I know...

Running Ptolus has been a blast and the most fun I've had in a while, this one looks just as crazy good!
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

It sure is, Blustar. Castle Whiterock is located in the Kingdom of Morrain, which is part of the Northlands.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Blustar wrote:I told him he could have first dibs at any DCC module (Known Realms) since he took the Known Realms as his campaign world. lol Little did I know...
*laugh*

If anything, WR is super-integrated. The designers took extra care to follow the DCC World canon, such as it is. Astute readers will find references to every DCC ever written.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Yes, CW is part of the Known Realms. We even referenced CW and Cillamar in DCC #35.

Harley is close on the DCC tie-in comment. CW includes tie-ins with all DCCs #0 to #35B, with a few in the 40's to boot. Somewhere in the boxed set is a list, as a few are very obscure.

Chris
bigdaddyd
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bigdaddyd »

I've collected some of the other bigger dungeons such as W.L.D., Rappan Athuk Reloaded and now I've got to get this one. I downloaded the PDF to take a peek and By the Gods I was blown away!

700 pages of matrial? Woo Hoo! I like long, drawn out, intricaate dungeons. A C note is worth it to me because if I was to break these down into 15 seperate modules at roughly $15 each, that'd be more than $200 all together and considering there's all of the extra materials the value is a lot like Ragu - "It's in there!"

I'll be ordering this one shortly. Looking forward to some fun times with this module - once I get the boys thru Idylls of the Rat King. I figure I'll take them on this adventure next - or should I bring them into the second part of the Rat King DCC 27 THEN into Castle Whiterock??? If so the PC's may be a bit too strong to start off on Level 1?

If you were going to run some PC's thru DCC 1 then DCC 27, how would you beef up the first few levels of Castle Whiterock to compensate for PC's possibly at 5-6th level? Does Castle Whiterock allow for that much compensation? Thoughts???
"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

You wouldn't have to start your players on level 1 of Castle Whiterock. It's actually designed to work with campaign ideas like yours - namely, that your players may be experienced adventurers prior to taking on Whiterock.

There's ways into the various levels of Whiterock without having to start at level 1, then working down to level 5 - it's possible to start directly at level 5. There's really no need to "level up" levels 1-4. And even starting at level 5 should leave you with plenty of adventure material, as there's still over 20 levels and sub-levels of the dungeon for you and your players to tackle. :)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Mike has the right of it.

For a pre-existing group that doesn't want to start at the beginning, Castle Whiterock works in two "bonus" modes...

1. You can lift out whole sections that are linked thematically/geographically to create new encounters. The Introduction lists eight possible "lifted" scenarios, spanning the range of the entire module (levels 1-15).

2. Like Mike pointed out, if you wanted to really take on the dungeon but are already x level, CW has multiple points of entry. Referring to my notes, there are entry points for 1st (natch), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 13th, and 14th.
Some points of entry require more effort than others (one involves a shortcut through the Plane of Elemental Fire, for example).

We designed it to be modular...a real toolkit in addition to a complete campaign-in-a-box.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Meant to post this earlier but forgot...I've started talking about the writing of Castle Whiterock in the Adventure Design thread, thusly:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2486

It should be an insight to what went into our pet megadungeon.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

I just transfered the 2nd preview of Castle Whiterock onto my computer... and what I can tell so far is: the illustrations (albeit few in number) ROCK! Really, really nice! Which brings me to my question: how many artists did contribute to the interior illustrations? Does every level feature it's own artist?

More on this preview when I am through reading it! :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

bigdaddyd wrote:I'll be ordering this one shortly. Looking forward to some fun times with this module - once I get the boys thru Idylls of the Rat King. I figure I'll take them on this adventure next - or should I bring them into the second part of the Rat King DCC 27 THEN into Castle Whiterock??? If so the PC's may be a bit too strong to start off on Level 1?
You could also set Revenge of the Rat King in the sewers of Cillamar, making for a good lead-in for Whiterock.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Okay, to my above statement let me add: GREAT! Preview #2 is an even more addictive appetizer than #1. I especially love the way the cavern is portrayed as an dynamic eco-system. So in effect you have a wilderness setting ready for exploring - only underground. I know I will LOVE that.
Couple of years back I toyed with the idea of dusting off my AD&D 1st Ed. Dungeoneer's and Wilderness' Survival Guides and developing a campaign world entirely underground. Never got around to do it. WHITEROCK might just be the new incentive to have another try at it. :wink:
Done so far:
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Argamae wrote:I just transfered the 2nd preview of Castle Whiterock onto my computer... and what I can tell so far is: the illustrations (albeit few in number) ROCK!
wilson is my favorite dcc artist by far.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but...

I'm planning on running Castle Whiterock soon. I do not have the Gazetteer boxed set, and for the most part don't need it. However, one thing I have noticed is CW repeatedly references various DCC-specific deities that appear in the Gazetteer, but don't have any explanation here (though you can often from context get some sort of general idea what they are).

I was wondering if there's a list available online somewhere of the DCC deities, maybe in table format like in the PH 32 (in the Cleric section). Even if and when I do end up with the Gazetteer (can't afford it right now; hopefully players will chip in to buy it for me at some point!) it would be a handy reference to have.

Another thing that would be useful is a one-page player's map of Cillamar, in simple black and white format so they (or the DM) can take notes on it...
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:I was wondering if there's a list available online somewhere of the DCC deities, maybe in table format like in the PH 32 (in the Cleric section). Even if and when I do end up with the Gazetteer (can't afford it right now; hopefully players will chip in to buy it for me at some point!) it would be a handy reference to have.
You could probably ask those of us who have the boxed set and we could fill you in.
Another thing that would be useful is a one-page player's map of Cillamar, in simple black and white format so they (or the DM) can take notes on it...
Indeed. :) All the maps GG makes are wonderful and fantastic, but they are in general too big for any practical use. :)
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

There are a few threads that discuss the gods of Aereth. You'll probably find some useful information there.

Here is one discussing the world at length:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=746

Here is one discussing the pantheon in specific:

http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Hope that helps, and I hope your group enjoys Castle Whiterock!

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:Another thing that would be useful is a one-page player's map of Cillamar, in simple black and white format so they (or the DM) can take notes on it...
that's a really, really good idea. maybe goodman will release it as a handout, minus the numbers and the sewers?
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

While they're at it, a player's map of Morrain would be great, but for that I can just give them a copy of the back of the gazetteer, or maybe abstract one from it somehow.
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Warduke wrote:
Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:Another thing that would be useful is a one-page player's map of Cillamar, in simple black and white format so they (or the DM) can take notes on it...
that's a really, really good idea. maybe goodman will release it as a handout, minus the numbers and the sewers?
I'm going to second the idea from the dude with the big-ass scary shield.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Now, I have no idea whether this has been pointed out before, but I couldn't help but notice that the recent "standard DCC intro" states that there are "no new magic items" and "no new monsters", but CW boldly contains two appendices named "new magic items" and "new monsters"... :D :wink:
Done so far:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Will CW be available to the DCC subscribers, or will we need to buy it seperately from our subscriptions?

...I ask because the time is drawing near....and my anticipation is growing to unmanageable levels....MUST HAVE THIS (drool)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, it will be going to subscribers... later this week, actually, and will be in stores next week, about the same time subscribers get it!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

All I can do is shriek like a little girl, with glee, over & over.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

goodmangames wrote:Yes, it will be going to subscribers... later this week, actually, and will be in stores next week, about the same time subscribers get it!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

getting it at the same time as the store?!

now THAT'S a great reason to be a subscriber. dcc to the mainline, baby!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

next week

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Yes, it will be going to subscribers... later this week, actually, and will be in stores next week, about the same time subscribers get it!
CW will be in stores next week? coolio!

hmmm. shall i wait until the adventure continues also arrives and buy both together or just buy as they arrive? then there's rules compendium and dragons of eberrorn to consider. oh, so many decisions! (and where's my copy of the shackled city...?)

so. much. to. read. play. argh!
What do you mean no?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Psssstt--guys. Guess what? GG just withdraw about $99 (plus S&H) from my account.

You know what that means? YUP!

....It's on it's way....... :twisted:

Return to “Castle Whiterock”