Toning things back a bit?

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Toning things back a bit?

Post by Eisenmann »

Just got done running a high tension combat between a highly skilled samurai and a mountain troll.

It was fun hearing the narration of the samurai slicing away with his katana and striking the troll behind the knee to knock it prone. He ran up the troll a la anime for the finishing move. It was incredibly fun.

But! I've got a historical based game in mind and I'd like to run it with Eldritch but I'm not sure how to tone it down without unbalancing things. Instead of using the entire ADCs use perhaps just the base?

At this point I'm just thinking out loud. What do you all think?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Toning things back a bit?

Post by dancross »

Eisenmann wrote:Just got done running a high tension combat between a highly skilled samurai and a mountain troll.

It was fun hearing the narration of the samurai slicing away with his katana and striking the troll behind the knee to knock it prone. He ran up the troll a la anime for the finishing move. It was incredibly fun.

But! I've got a historical based game in mind and I'd like to run it with Eldritch but I'm not sure how to tone it down without unbalancing things. Instead of using the entire ADCs use perhaps just the base?

At this point I'm just thinking out loud. What do you all think?
For historical/gritty: Keep the ADCs, but reduce the passive defenses (like remove the x2 to endurance). Eliminate resilience and use only toughness with some opposed rolls allowed. People will REALLY want armor.

If you want to restrict high damages you can limit the number of steps. OR...if you want to really go out on a limb...

Try using only two die steps. D4 = unskilled, or first level of specialization or mastery, and D6 = skilled or "focused". So you Have a max combination of 3D6 for any abillity that way. That certainly tones things down, but it breaks nothing.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Eisenmann wrote:Just got done running a high tension combat between a highly skilled samurai and a mountain troll.

What level was the samurai?
Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eisenmann »

dancross wrote:

What level was the samurai?
Thanks for the info in the first response, Dan. I'll definitely be tinkering in that direction.

What level was the samurai? I don't know to be honest. I built him as a test with just what looked right. Didn't max him out at D12 across the board but most combat abilities were around D10 > D10 > D12.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”