Pit Fiend Stat Block

Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Pit Fiend Stat Block

Post by Blackdirge »

Thought you guys might want to see this. WoTC has released the full stat block for the pit fiend, here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20080125

It looks pretty cool, but I can't help pining for a few spell-like abilities.

You know, they said stat blocks would be more streamlined and easier to use, but this 4.0 pit fiend stat block is about the same size as the 3.5 stat block; it just has different rules.

Maybe the difference between the size of stat blocks will be more noticable with weaker monsters.

BD
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Gah! That doesn't appear to be any more streamlined than 3.5. Bad news... I was really hoping this new edition would be simpler!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

goodmangames wrote:Gah! That doesn't appear to be any more streamlined than 3.5. Bad news... I was really hoping this new edition would be simpler!
Well, it is a pit fiend, so it's probably at the top end of stat block complexity. I think we will see more streamlining with lower-level monsters, stuff in the 1-10 level range.

Aeryn
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

I'm not a D&D Insider. Can someone post this (legally), so I can get a look see?

Thanks!

Chris
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

For those of you that don't have insider access...

Pit Fiend Level 26 Elite Soldier (Leader)
Large immortal humanoid (devil) XP 18,000
Initiative +22 Senses Perception +23; darkvision
Aura of Fear (Fear) aura 5; enemies in the aura take a –2 penalty on attack rolls.
Aura of Fire (Fire) aura 5; enemies that enter or start their turns in the aura take 15 fire damage.
HP 350; Bloodied 175
AC 44; Fortitude 42, Reflex 38, Will 40
Resist 30 fire, 15 poison
Saving Throws +2
Speed 12, fly 12 (clumsy), teleport 10
Action Points 1
Melee Flametouched Mace (standard; at-will) • Fire, Weapon
Reach 2; +31 vs. AC; 1d12+11 fire damage plus ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Melee Tail Sting (standard; at-will) • Poison
+31 vs. AC; 1d6+11 damage, and the pit fiend may make a free followup attack. Followup: +29 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 15 poison damage, and the target is weakened (save ends both effects).
Melee Pit Fiend Frenzy (standard; at-will)
The pit fiend makes a flametouched mace attack and a tail sting attack.
Ranged Point of Terror (minor; at-will) • Fear
Range 5; +30 vs. Will; the target takes a –5 penalty to all defenses until the end of the pit fiend's next turn.
Ranged Irresistible Command (minor 1/round; at-will) • Charm, Fire
Range 10; affects one allied devil of lower level than the pit fiend; the target immediately slides up to 5 squares and explodes, dealing 2d10+5 fire damage to all creatures in a close burst 2. The exploding devil is destroyed.
Infernal Summons (standard; encounter) • Conjuration
The pit fiend summons a group of devil allies. Summoned devils roll initiative to determine when they act in the initiative order and gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls as long as the pit fiend is alive. They remain until they are killed, dismissed by the pit fiend (free action), or the encounter ends. PCs do not earn experience points for killing these summoned creatures. The pit fiend chooses to summon one of the following groups of devils:

8 legion devil legionnaires (level 21), or
2 war devils (level 22), or
1 war devil (level 22) and 4 legion devil legionnaires (level 21)
Tactical Teleport (standard; recharge 4 5 6) • Teleportation
The pit fiend can teleport up to 2 allies within 10 squares of it. The targets appear in any other unoccupied squares within 10 squares of the pit fiend.
Alignment Evil
Languages Supernal
Skills Bluff +27, Intimidate +27, Religion +24
Str 32 (+24) Dex 24 (+20) Wis 20 (+18 )
Con 27 (+21) Int 22 (+19) Cha 28 (+22)
Equipment flametouched mace, noble signet ring

No feats! :shock:

BD

Return to “DCC-2008 Tournament”