Design Discussion

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

This is okay by me. Since you guys are all in New Jersey, it might make sense to pick three authors in that region. You could more easily get together for brainstorming and playtesting. Adrian could take a full level, Ferguson could take a level, and maybe Chris could take a level with Maffei as a backup? Chris does 3 rooms, Maffei does 2, and he's there in case Chris's schedule gets too backed up. Oh, and we should probably start writing this... now!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Chris, you OK with splitting a level with Maffei, or do you think you'll be able to do one on your own?
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Depends on the timeline. I'm in the middle of C2, which will drag on for a few more weeks. By that time, I assume we will have an SRD, so that means going back and rewriting two modules for 4e.

When do we need the level done by? Since the background and PCs and other legwork will be done by others, we really are only looking at about 5 encounters here (and maybe a new monster or two). With some focus, I can have 5 encounters written in a week or two.

I understand the desire to start writing NOW, but for the Tourney, I really think we should wait for the SRD. Not only will it help in designing technical encounters, but the rest of us still have other projects to tend to.

I suggest we get the background written and posted for all to see and comment on. Then over the next few weeks we e-mail Adrian with our encounter concepts for approval. Then when the SRD comes out, we hit the ground running. Meanwhile, we keep focused on current projects.

But this begs the question: When are projects due? I work much better with an actual date. I think we need to have a spreadsheet with dates and such, so we can determine who is available to work on what projects.

Chris
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I understand the desire to start writing NOW, but for the Tourney, I really think we should wait for the SRD. Not only will it help in designing technical encounters, but the rest of us still have other projects to tend to.
Agreed. I can't speak for other tournaments, but I know we didn't even have a loose concept nailed down for Palace until mid-Feb (I remember the day the storyline finally jelled I was in an undisclosed location in Tucson). By that metric, we're already ahead of the game.

That said, with the writer situation better reflecting the 4E situation, I'll have materials out by Friday.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I have a spreadsheet with deadlines. Up until a week ago, the publication dates were guesses. Now I know the publication date can be August 1, but I still don't know when we'll get the SRD! As soon as I get that final 'real' date, I'll give you a spreadsheet of deadlines that are hard and fast.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Hmmm...I worked up a timeline today as well. I'll send you what I have so far.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I've changed the big tournament summary on page 2 to reflect the changing storyline. Mostly I've added details and names, better defined the metaplot of each round.

One thing that's occurred to me...supposedly 4E has got three "scales of power"...1-10, 11-20, and 21-30.
Given that, I think we can pretty safely make the tournament for 9th-10th level PCs...still at the weakest end of the scale but powerful enough to Get Big Things Done.

In this most recent version I've tried to 1) come up with a reasonable way for the heroic party to gain the favor of an evil guy like Ahriman (they take an escaped soul from one bad guy to his just rewards), 2) tie everything back in to the Free RPG Day module by bringing back the cyclops, 3) bring the entire metaplot full circle by have the guys at the mountain temple actually be worshippers of the same god that cursed the party, and 4) make it more like the Labors, where you're not just getting a magic artifact or killing a bad guy, but you're trying to ACCOMPLISH something (recover a body, capture-not-kill a dead soul, erect a lightning bolt).

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Adrian,

Looks good. Enough details to start the creative machine, but not too much to cramp design. One thing regarding my round one climatic bad. The hydra is not really reaching me (why did the goddess transform her into a hydra). Why not a medusa (you know, the classic curse for a lover, so she can never love again). Or is this too cliche.

I'm not dissing the hydra-personally I love'em, and can add one somewhere (or another author can use it). It also doesn't really fit the aquatic theme (I already did an aquatic hydra in CW).

Now then, a sea hag medusa would rock...

Chris
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Not medusa because that's EXACTLY what happened in myth, but sea hag...you know...I always complain that nobody ever uses any of the hags...

Also...you in particular should feel free to play with it a bit. If you like the idea of Aniketos AND Ophyla BOTH rejecting their gods, then they are BOTH cursed and we've got TWO bad guys to contend with in round 1.

Maybe the point of round 1 is to break them up?

What I'm saying is: I wrote down the most straightforward objectives, but if something jumps out at you, bounce it off me...that's what I'll be here for.

Non-sequitor: did you know there's a Nereid Avenue in NYC? I saw that it was a stop on the #5 line last night.

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Sea hag it is!

Chris
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Power Creep ;)

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:I still think the level range should be relatively low (4-6 or so), but we should wait until we get the final 4E rules before we decide that for sure.
Guys, remember that the beginning point is fixed --- the Free RPG Day adventure *needs* to be for level 1-3 characters. We want folks playing our adventures right out of the starting gate.

A subsequent tournament for levels 4-6 makes a lot of sense, 7-9 is very possible, but I think 9-10 needs to be dialed back. It's a large leap, story wise, and gets us into deep waters, rules wise.

If everything drops in June, players will only have 2 months of actual game play before Gen Con. And lord knows what errata Wizards might be releasing just before the tournament. ("What do you mean power attack is no longer a talent?!")

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Free RPG Day Pre Gens

Post by Harley Stroh »

Adrian,

Once you have PCs for the tournament, can you also forward me first level versions for the Free RPG Day? I'm sure there will be some degree of change, but at least the names, races & classes should match up.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

All rounds are now put into the Gen Con system, starting at #463. That's pretty early (grumble) but it would have been even earlier if the links on the main page were not completely false (/grumble).

Here is our advertising blurb:
The DCC Tournament enters its fifth year and 4E! Years ago, four young heroes defied the God of War to save their home. In return they were cursed to never know peace: friends betray them, family forsakes them, and agents of the Warbringer stalk them. Now, the heroes think they've found a way to break the curse: by performing three impossible tasks they'll earn the favor of three greater gods. But the Warbringer is not easily thwarted...

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Awesome. Working "Warbringer" title into Free RGP day text.

//H

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Round 3 area proposals (and maps!) are in. When I get proposals from rounds 1 and 2, I'll post summaries here.

Return to “DCC-2008 Tournament”