Dungeoneer Adventures: Questions & Answers #1

Dungeoneer the RPG is fast paced and easy to learn, and yet is packed with depth and tactical game play. You can set up your game session in moments and enjoy playing for hours.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

warpweaver
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dungeoneer Adventures: Questions & Answers #1

Post by warpweaver »

I didn't want this information buried in a thread where some of you might not find it, so here is a peek into the current DGA game environment in its is nearly complete state!
differentSmoke wrote: Question Nº1:
So, is there space for dramatic conflicts, even if their resolution has nothing to do with the system?
Yes. In general, however, the roleplay system is designed to encourage you to roleplay through the
differentSmoke wrote: Thomas Denmark mentioned something about characters being created by the choice of 5 cards that determine different aspects of the character.
QNº2
Let's say there's 4 cards of each kind, would that mean 4x4x4x4x4=1024 possible, workable, playable, REASONABLY balanced types of character you could play? Or would some combinations be restricted, or simply too underpowering?
At present there are 5 templates and 6 callings. We are still balancing the cultures, aptitudes and races. There will be at least 5 or 6 of each. Our main limitation here is the number of cards we can put in the set! There are so many cool races in Tarniss that Thomas has invented (e.g. Drakan, Necro, Shragnoloth, Pogwai) it's rally hard to slim it down, while still making space for elves, dwarves, ogres and gnomes.

Your hero is initially defined by the combination of the set of background cards you choose.

I have seen all sorts of card combinations that led to fascinating heroes. Any Template, for example, can be used with any Calling or Culture.

Wednesday night, Dzintars, one of the original playtesters, tried out an Adventurer template, with the Arcane aptitude. I was suprised at this particular combination, as so far only people taking Magic user or Eldritch had bothered to select Arcane. Dzintars (that's his real name, not his heroe's name) is the kind of guy who loves to try new things and is a 'roleplay your character as he would behave and let the game mechanics take care of themself' gamer. This has led to him dying more than anyone else I have ever DM'ed, but it's always a good death. As a result, he has more experience creating characters that fit into my games than anyone else.

His hero prooved key to the groups strategy. With the Adventurer's ability to help out other heroes with threats, and the Arcane aptitude boosting his ability to deal with magic, the Arcane Adventurer was just as important a member of the team as the extremely specialized optimized Tough Imperial Fighter played by Jeffrey. We expect nothing less than highly optimized borderline game-breaking behavior from Jeffrey. He's the same hero who originally made the final move that prevented the reanimation of Tiamat in the first playtest of Goodman Games "The Sunken Ziggurat" by ignoring the advice (including begging, pleading and threats) of the rest of the party. If that module is too hard for you, it might be cause you are a n00b not half as 1337 as him.

Dzintars did need almost as much protection from swarms of melee based vermin as Norm's eldritch did. Lucky for him, Michael, who has also been a playtester since DGA day 1, took a Warrior template and acted throughout the session as the lynchpin of melee defense (which is a switch for him in terms of roleplaying style, his old PC Azak ended up joining the dark side and now rules as the lord of the deepest level in the recent remake of the very first fantasy role-playing dungeon ever designed, "Dave Arnseon's Castle Blackmoor" by Zeitgeist Games). With a Warrior and a Fighter in the group, Norm, a reliable Eldritch player in many of our games, could safely focus in magic, making use of his favorite strategy of repeatedly spellstriking the monsters. That sure keeps the population of 0 magic vermin in check!

In last weeks game, Ana, an experienced WoW player who has joined us for some of her first tabletop RPG adventures had a Magic User, who through a clever selection of boons and treasures, had built herself up into a melee powerhouse. With the Magic User's, solid progress in the magic attribute and some defensive equipment she was really an extremely hard target for the poor Dungeonlord. I had to rely on traps to keep her off balance. Since the group had neglected to bring anyone along who could deal effectively with speed threats, that was the most effective way of spending her peril.

You can also thank Ana for helping rename the Common culture option to Rustic.
differentSmoke wrote: I'm looking forward for the "Character Creation in 10 minutes and less", btw.
While dinner took over an hour, that party was fully assembled less than 10 minutes after the table was cleared. (Thanks to the heroes who cleaned it as the Dungeonlord sorted through his pile of quest and map cards!)
differentSmoke wrote: QNº3:
How involved will be the cards in the resolution of conflicts?
Question(s)Nº4:
Will a system be provided to create your own cards? How "mechanical" will it be, will there be rules to ensure the creation of balanced cards? Can players create their own cards?
Card creation by independant Dungeonlords is an important part of the game. Don't forget that you can use Dungeoneer cards from any set in DGA.
differentSmoke wrote: QNº5:
How will magic work?(tough one?) How abstract? Spell based? Effect based?
Magic works the way it works in Dungeoneer! There are new magic Tactics such as Spellstrike, Counterspell and Runespell. These greatly increase a heroes flexibility in combat.
differentSmoke wrote: QNº6:
Will "stealthy" characters have a place in the game? Will trying to sneak your way in and out of the dungeon count as a valid approach?(sorry, Thief at heart)
Well, if it's a clue as to how important the 'rogue' roll is in DGA I will let slip that as a player of d20, it's been a LONG time since I didn't take my first level in Rogue, or under certain circumstances, Bard. Don't be fooled by the template Adventurer. Don't you know that it's rude to call people 'thieves' these days, unless of course ... they are caught red handed.

;)

Onwards to Glory!
bye for now,
richard pocklington

Return to “Dungeoneer”