What are some things we all hate about RPGs?

Dungeoneer the RPG is fast paced and easy to learn, and yet is packed with depth and tactical game play. You can set up your game session in moments and enjoy playing for hours.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

OURUlz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

What are some things we all hate about RPGs?

Post by OURUlz »

Don't get me wrong, I love RPGs. I'm an old school gamer who has played Dungeons and Dragons and the old D6 StarWars game, but there are a lot of things about RPG's that I don't like that I hope the Dungeoneer RPG will address. Heres my list. ..

1. reigning in cranky GM's
2. getting rid of the feeling that your just part of a GM's big production and you're going to live no matter what, or die no matter what
3. Long complicated PC generation...dying and having to sit out for an hour and a half while you roll up a new guy and having to wait for the GM to approve what you did.
Nobody wants to do the math to hit Armor Class 42...do you here me? Nobody.
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: What are some things we all hate about RPGs?

Post by Banesfinger »

OURUlz wrote:Long complicated PC generation
I also don't like the 'long complicated' part. I also don't want to see a simplistic cut-out character. There should be some depth to PC generation.

To add to OURUlz's list:

- I don't like "the Christmas Tree effect". This is where characters are loaded down with every kind of magic item imaginable. Then to try and figure out bonuses during a combat is a long-drawn out math test. Add to that all the spell (buffs) that the party casts on them. Well....you see where this is going.

- I don't like the "I hit, You hit" combat systems, where melee is just a stagnent blur of the same dice rolls back and forth. Give us some options in combat that will liven it up. However, it can't be overy complicated (e.g. Attacks of Opportunity).
Thomas Denmark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thomas Denmark »

Indeed, complexity through simplicity - the holy grail of RPG design!

I can't promise a character creation system as "in depth" as D&D 3.5 or Pendragon or GURPS, Dungeoneer character generation is quite simple in order to jump into the action as quickly as possible.

I do believe Richard has found a very nice formula, where you choose from limited options: race, template, calling, culture, aptitude. And with the card system it guarantees no 2 characters will be the same, so the party is going to be diverse.
Thomas Denmark
www.studiodenmark.com

Return to “Dungeoneer”