Psionics?

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Psionics?

Post by Raptor »

Just got my core book and was wondering about a few things. Psionics? Any roleplaying background for it or should it be prohibited? Any other D&D expansions you think would be good (or bad) to include in a campaign?
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

Hey Raptor,

First of all were talking about your home campaign - make it as much fun for yourself and your players as you can. If you and your players would like to include psionics then by all means add them.

Generally, Psionics are usually a big no in Xcrawl - they just don't fit in with the genre. In a paranoid/ power jealous society like the North American Empire an “X factor” ability like Psionics would not be tolerated. The Emperor would either find some way to control it completely (like how the temple controls divine magic, and the Guild of Mages regulates arcane power) or, more likely, kill everyone who possessed it. If he couldn’t be 100% sure that citizens weren’t reading his thoughts at will he would initiate a purge of biblical proportions, slaughtering whomever had the slightest chance of the talent in the name of a secure and strong Empire.

If you want your crawlers to use psionic powers in The Games then there has to be some massive regulatory system. Ronald I can’t have just anybody snooping around in the thoughts of the Leaders of the Empire. Also, there has to be some way that psionic monsters can’t just escape their DJ’s control. I just don’t see the average DJ being able to force creatures with mind control/ mind reading/ psychic talent powers to live in cages and fight crawlers on demand.

If you want psionics to be a dirty secret of your campaign world then the players have to be extremely careful about how they use them. You can’t get much more plain sight than live on Pay Per View Xcrawl, so in this case psychic powers will not have much use in The Games. You might consider making psionic talent so rare that it is considered a myth.

You can enhance your game tremendously with source materials from other games. New monsters are an obvious choice (the first Xcrawl game ever ended with the Rancor from D20 Star Wars – now that was a fun couple of rounds!). Also consider any new classes that won’t throw your game off. We had lots of fun with the Scout class from Deadlands, urban rangers, wild mages, jesters and the barbarian variants from several systems.

Personally, I have experimented with gestalt characters (from Unearthed Arcana) and other campaign/ experience point options. I also ran a sort of variant BESM Xcrawl adventure that was more like a Pokeman tournament where the handlers had a good chance of getting bitten to death. So that part was fun. hehheh

Have fun!

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”