Firefly/Horizons: Brave New World (part one)

Forum for Spellburn developers.
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

(Ship Move Check: 13)

Redemption swung hard to the left, just missing a hoodoo jutting from the edge of the canyon like a mushroom.

"Gabe, what's the ruttin' idea?" Eddie's grumbling voice came from the comm, "I was on the crapper!"

Gabe ignored him, "What's the gunboat's range?" He asked.

"Closing, I think." Jesse said, "Look, I'm a tad busy-"

Gabe shook his head, "Any ideas, flyboy?" He asked Val.

Minerva managed to patch up a sparking wireline, but smoke was still spewing from the panel.

The floor beneathe her fell open and she nearly fell. Lincoln stuck his head in, waving his arms as the smoke fell into the kitchen below. He was standing just above the kitchen sink. "Need some help?" He asked, a dopey grin on his face.

Without waiting he pulled himself up about waist-high through the hole, grabbed a handful of tools and started working with Minerva.
(Repair Check: 11)

With a few adjustments, the smoke billowed out of the crawlspace and clean air started pumping back in.

Thruster HP: 198/200

(Patrol Craft Move Check: 14)

The Craft, far more maneuverable but wanting a clear shot, soared up over the canyons and aimed its belly-laser at the vessel.

(Attack Roll: 10)

The laser scoured across the lip of the canyon, but missed the Redemption by a wide berth.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

"Any ideas, flyboy?" Gabe asked and Val could only grin.

"Let me get up to that flak cannon and bring some rocks down on their heads." He said, looking at the captain for a "go ahead".

~~

Minerva let out a gasp of surprise as the panel came loose and she almost fell to the ground below. Lincoln lodged himself close to her and began to work on the thruster array as well.

She finished up her job and squirmed free of the eager hands of the college boy.

"Thanks, but I had it." She snatched her tools back and headed off to the engine room, to see if she could give her captain some more power.
Chris McCoy
Freelance Game Designer and Goblin Wrangler
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Redemption Move Check: 15

Lincoln watched Minerva crawl off. He made a face.

"You're welcome." He said, and tried to pull himself out of hatch. After a few attempts, a worried expression started to come over him.

Gabe held up a finger, "Okay, first, that cannon was disguised, I'm not gonna ask how you spotted it. Regardless, we can't be the ones doing the firing in this."

"What's the difference?" Jesse asked, "They already know we're jumping lockdown."

"The difference is the amount of time it'll take for them to execute us." Gabe said, "We run, we're runners. We fight, suddenly our ship is on ever Alliance commcast from here to Londinum. No shooting. We either lose 'em or out-maneuver them."

Jesse sighed, "We've got the longer-lasting power, but that patrol boat is spinning circles around us. It'll shoot us down long before we take a dive."

(Patrol Craft Move Check: 16)
(Laser Attack Check: 23)
(Hit Check: Hull)
(Damage: 83

The laser cut across Redemption's upper hull plating, scouring a lightning-shaped blackened scar. Alarms started to howl.

Redemption HP
Engines: 2k/2k
Hull: 1,919/2k
Scanner: 200/200
Thrusters: 198/200
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Minerva pulled the plastic shell panels off of the engine and dove into her work, her hands constantly changing tools and trying to get some more juice into the engines, to give them even a little bit of more speed. She would redirect the power from other systems if need be and replace it later.

(Repair Check: 25)

She grabbed the comm as soon as her work was done and hollared, "Capt'n, see if that gives you a little bit more speed! If not, I'll get back to it!"

Minerva waited for a response.

~~
"Captain, that trick is older than the both of us. I mean, it's clever but if a soldier like you or me knows what to look for, then they will see it. Not saying many others will find it though..." Valiant said quietly and settled back in his seat.

He tried to wrack his brain for any sort of manuevers that would help get rid of their hotly pursuiting Alliance "friends".

(Pilot check: 17)
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Minerva Uncovered a Secret Upgrade!
Redemption's Speed is now 1d12+6

[OOC: *Chuckle* Just had to be as cheesy as possible.]

Redemption Move Check: 16

[VAL:
As Jesse is hustlin' Redemption left and right, you spot a possible escape - up ahead is a fork in the canyon. If Jesse could feint the Patrol Boat to take the other route, and if Redemption can handle it, you might be able to do a stop 180 spin (a Crazy Ivan, the pilots used to call it in your navy days) you could fool the patrol craft into continuing on without you.]

Redemption HP
Engines: 2k/2k
Hull: 1,942/2k
Scanner: 200/200
Thrusters: 200/200

Patrol Boat Move Check: 8

Attack: 19

The patrol boat's laser misses by a wide marging, carving a line into the rocky cliffs.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

(Hehehe, that's great!)

Valiant jumped out of his seat and looked out Jesse's viewport.

"Perfect. Jesse, trust me on this one. That fork over there? Feint those bastards behind us to go the other way and do a 180 spin at full burn...they use to call it a Crazy Ivan in my days. That will throw them off and get us out of atmo!" He shouted, pointing and showing Jesse where he meant.

Valiant looked over at Gabe and said, "I pray that Alliance pilot is less savvy than Mrs. Belle here."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Redemption Move Check: 7

Gabe felt a clench in his gut. "I don't like any maneuvers start with "crazy," specially not on my brand spankin' gorramn ship..."

"Sit down, captain!" Jesse said, grabbing the comm, "Minerva, are you there? I need you to readjust the press regulators and open the port jet controls, cut the hydraulics, understand?"

Patrol Boat Move Check: 12

The Redemption swung towards the rightmost canyon fork, listing to the side to look fully intent on taking the right. The patrol boat matched their position, coming up right alongside and slightly above them, falling back only a bit.

(Attack: 18)

Another blast fired from the patrol boat's underbelly, ripping free chunks of the cliffside. The gunman apparently was gettin' angry. The missile batteries swivled to aim at the Redemption, prepared to do some real damage.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant kept quiet as the captain started to shoot down his idea but Jesse interrupted him and began to yell over the comm at Minerva.

Valiant could only smile and think back to his days at the flight academy when he used to do such manuevers just to impress the other pilots, especially those of the female variety...

~~

Minerva heard Jesse's voice over the comm and could only raise an eyebrow.

"Why would you want..." her voice trailed off when she recalled hearing about this manuever from her father.

The patented "Crazy Ivan".

Minerva threw herself into her work once again and readjusted the press regulators and opened the port jet controls.

She grabbed the comm and yelled, "Ready! Just tell me when you want me to cut the hydralics!"

She waited for the signal and when it was given, she threw all her might against the controls and killed the hydralics.

"Oh my Buddha...!"
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

(Pilot Check: 21) [OOC: w00t!]

Jesse gripped the port jet VTOL controls. "Hold onto something."

She yanked the controls to the side, and pulled back on the VTOL control.

Redemption rolled violently to the left, cutting away from the right fork at the last moment, then, as it was still spinning, the port thruster spun completely backwards, and both thrusters came to life. Redemption rolled and then spun, cartwheeling dangerously in midair as though in free fall.

"Woaaaagh!" Gabe cried out.

Jesse shoved the VTOL control back to normal and yanked back on the pitch, turning Redemption's nose upward.

The force of the thrust was enough to press Gabe into his seat. The bright blue of the Regina noon darkened and faded to black as they left atmo, leaving nothing but stars twinkling in their viewscreen.

Jesse let out a cheer and took the comm, "All clear, people, not pursuit in sight! That patrol boat can't fly in the black." She turned to Val, "Nice idea, Val. I've never done that before."

Gabe groaned in his seat, "Next time that goes to vote." He said, "No, next time, the captain decides whether we do something stupid to my ship."

Jesse gave him a curt smile, "Just like flight school, still a sissy."

Gabe smiled back at her, "Bog ja nenavizhu vas." He said.

Jesse chuckled, "What language is that, anyways?"

Gabe ignored her and took his comm, "How's everyone? Report."
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant felt the geas press him into the cushioned seat he was sitting in and he relished in the feeling.

It had been almost three years since he had last been in space and the feeling of freedom surged all the way to his very core.

"Flying in the Black means being free..." he whispered to himself, an old motto of gunship commanders and almost any pilot worth his wings.

Jesse complimented him and he smiled back.

"Glad to be of some assistance, Ms. Belle. You are one hell of a pilot. I look forward to seeing what else you can do with this boat." he said, unstrapping himself from his chair.

He thumbed a switch and looked over the glowing screens.

"Looks like all systems check, Captain."

~~

Darren scrambled to his feet as he felt the ship break through Regina's atmosphere and he had the urge to throw up.

He dry heaved for a few moments before regaining his composure.

Never had he experienced such rough flying before. Had he been on any other ship, he would have been having words with the pilot.

The doctor sighed and went about cleaning up the scattered medical supplies that had fallen from the cabinets and from the drawers. After he was finished, he went over to the comm and said, "All is clear in medical."

He switched the comm off and took a seat on the nearest medical bed.

"What the luh suh have I gotten myself into?" he muttered before collasping back onto the bed and wishing the Pax Transmissions had never happened.

~~

Minerva relished in the feeling of breaking atmo and as soon as she was able to move about, she set about getting everything set back up for regular function.

(Repair Roll: 19)

She pressed the comm button and said, "We're all good, Capt'n! Nice flyin!"
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

"All right then," Gabe said into the comm, "Make a check of all our systems, make sure nothin's out of place. Jesse, prep for full-burn. I wanna see Persephone out that window within eight hours."

He stepped past Val and into the hallway. "Lincoln, you stupid meduza, that patrol boat came a knockin' cause your so called genius hackin' skills led 'em right to us! Lincoln?"

He entered the galley and Lincoln wasn't at his computer terminal. "Lincoln, where the-" He turned and spotted a pair of legs sticking out of the vent above the sink, "What the hell are you doing?"

"A little help?!" Lincoln's voice sounded tinny and muffled.

Gabe just shook his head, "Get your own fool self out."

"Aww, c'mon, cap." Lincoln whined.

"You heard me." Gabe said, looking around, "Where's Eddie?"

"I have to go, I'll take care of things on this end." Eddie said.

"Wha'evah. Just make sure you get it done before my boys arrive." The voice responded, "You make good on this deal, and you'll be a very rich man under a new employ."

"Lookin' forward to it." Eddie said.

"Eddie?" Gabe's voice came from the doorway. It opened and Gabe stuck his head in.

Eddie closed the comm-rider and tossed it casually on his bag, "Yeah, just sayin' g'bye to a lady."

Gabe grinned, "You and a woman, can't hardly imagine."

"She was a companion." Eddie said, a half-smile on his face, "Real pretty, too."

Gabe snorted, "You and a companion in the same fabric layer just seems all kinds of wrong. You got your gear stowed? I was gonna start chow early."

"I'll be right along." Eddie said, smiling.

Gabe nodded and closed the door.

Eddie picked up the comm-rider, "You still there?"

"Yeah. Your captain friend seems like the disrespectful type." Badger said, pushing up his hat a bit.

"He'll learn soon enough." Eddie said, "I'll send the signal once everything's ready."

"Right." Badger said, "See you soon." He grinned.

END ACT TWO
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

(Start Act Three!)
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Everyone settled in for dinner in what would become their permanent seating arrangement; Gabe at the head of the table, his back to the kitchen, Val to his left, Jesse's empty seat to his right, Minerva beside Jesse, Lincoln beside Val, and two spots split at the end for Miller and Eddie. Eddie was already eating, scarfing down protien patties like a they were a hot new craze.

Jesse came into the galley and sat herself down, "We're good for Persephone, cap. We should make planetfall within six hours."

"Good." Gabe said. He pushed up to his feet, "I guess now that we've had a chance to cool our toes some, we can make ourselves some more proper introductions. Clock 'round the table, my name's Gabriel Sage. I spent four years doing cargo runs like this for MacGruder, only as security, like Val here's gonna be doing. That's really all I have to say for myself."

Jesse spooned herself a plate of various nutrient supplements, "That's it? Just, 'four years of this'? You've got to be around my age, and you've got, if you don't mind my announcing it to the rest of the crew - an Independence browncoat. Did you fight in the war?"

"No." Gabe said flatly.

"But-"

"Val, care to speak your piece?" Gabe asked.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant was halfway through eating a piece of protein pattie when Gabriel asked him to introduce himself.

He swallowed harshly and looked up at the rest of the crew. He cracked his knuckles and settled back into his hard wooden backed chair.

"Well, there really isn't much to be saying. I served the Alliance in the war as a gunship commander and head of a gunship unit called the "Flying Valiants". I got my name from the same unit. I was court martialed for not agreeing with bombing wounded soldiers so I threw my lot in with the rest of the washouts in Regina. Been there since, doing odd jobs to survive, being hired muscle when I needed to be. Didn't much approve of the way the Alliance ran things so I signed up with the Captain here and the rest is history."

Valiant then went back to eating quietly, his hunger getting the better of him.

It had been a long day.

~~

Minerva listened with intent as the ex-soldier told his story and she felt herself wanting to ask more questions about both Val and Gabe. Both of them seemed to be carved from the same stone yet something dark and sinister lurked in each man, each demon different than the other and wholly the man's who possessed it. She sat quietly with her face in her plate, picking gingerly at the protein pattie on it.

~~

Darren wasn't even listening to the two of them as they spoke of their pasts. He was too busy trying to choke down the assembly of gusa on his plate. He downed his entire glass full of water before trying another bite and almost choke to death on it.

Darren made a mental note to pick up a supply of real food for himself as soon as they landed on Persephone.

What had he gotten himself into?
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Jesse only heard part of Val's story. She watched Gabe turn back to his meal, casting his eyes over at Val intently. She knew when someone was trying hard not to address her in the slightest way.

She'd never really shown too much interest in Gabe's past, but to get shot down like that in the asking. In her opinion, men who hid their past so directly probably had more secrets than they had words to say. She wondered what it was exactly he didn't want to talk about. A lost battle? Lost friends? Lost loves?

She frowned and returned to her meal at Lincoln stood up.

"Licoln Lathan, atcher service," He said, holding up his glass in a toast (for some reason), "Third brother of Mr. Universe, thank you very much, and there isn't a secret computers can hide from me. Tried college for a little while, wasn't too happy. A man of my talents belongs where the action is." He glaced pointedly at Minerva as he spoke, grinned over his glass before sitting down.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Minerva gave Lincoln a half smile but it had phony written all over it. She cleared her throat a bit and stood up, to address her fellows.

"Well, my name is Minerva Callahan. I'm the ship's mechanic. I have spent most, if not all, of my life in the Black and on boats. My parents were mechanics and I come from a long line of engineers. Making this boat run is my passion, my job, and my duty. Plain and simple."

She said quietly and then sat down abruptly, not wishing to be the center of attention longer than she needed to be.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Eddie stuffed the last of his food into his mouth and stood, wiping his mouth, "Hey, this is cute and all, but I got some checklists to run over, check our cargo, that kinda thing. I'll see you folks later, all right?"

Gabe nodded and waved Eddie off.

Jesse leaned back, "I suppose I'll be next, then. My name's Jesse Belle. I'd be surprised if any of the men at this table hadn't heard of me, I was..." She sighed, "I was Ms. Sihnon 2510. I... Well I left the modelling business to get my pilot's licence. I like it, it's more exciting and involved than posing for pictures."

She sipped her water, waiting to see if Miller would stand up or keep his tail between his legs. The captain hadn't exactly givin' him the kind of invite he'd allowed for anyone else. Even Lincoln hadn't gotten sucker-punched.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant knew who Jesse was but he didn't say a word. She had been one of his mens' favorite pin-ups and what was affectionately referred to as an "R&R Girl."

He had spent many an hour confiscating her image during his command years.

Minerva watched Eddie go and she realized she found herself staring at the ship's doctor. He was a handsome man but the aura of cultural superiority was thick about him.

He was obviously a Coreworlder and from a rich background. More than just his clothes gave that away.

The doctor finished what remained of his dinner and looked up as the room fell silent.

"I suppose I might as well introduce myself to you all, since I will undoubtably will be treating a mass majority of your wounds. My name is Doctor Darren Miller and I come from Ariel. I have lived there all my life and would be there now were it not for the fact that the Alliance was a bunch of lying bastards who have no regard for human life. The Pax Transmissions threw Ariel into chaos and I, like many others, have lost my family and all I once held dear. So, here I am, on a ship with a captain who likes to punch his shipmates in the face and surrounded by people I have never meet in my life. I guess we can all drink to that." He sat back down, not too happy about his situation and with old wounds beginning to show.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Gabe leaned back in his seat, "Most people in their lives have a lot to be unhappy about, Miller. And for a man who lost his family and his whole life, you've got a funny way of grievin', all pantsless and all."
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

"Well, Captain, perhaps people grieve differently. I was trying to get my mind off of things." Darren stood up and left the room, heading back downstairs to the medical bay.

He had had enough of Gabriel for one day.

Valiant turned an inquisitive look to the captain. "You jacked pretty boy in the face?"

He looked at the departing doctor who was leaving in a huff.

"Good."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Gabe scratched his jaw, watching Miller go. "Boy's got a bad ambition to be some kinda hero, but I've never seen a one didn't have a mountain of skulls behind him. I won't have it on my ship. We're a business, not some gorramn band of merry outlaws."

He downed his water like it was a shot of whiskey, "And I don't wanna walk into any part of this ship and find him grinding hips with anyone. Not some whore from the rocks, not a companion, not you-" He pointed at Jesse, who glared at him, "Not you-" he pointed at Minerva but didn't think she'd be a problem, "And not you." He pointed at Lincoln, who gaped.

As Miller came down the stairs, Eddie slammed the lid shut on one of MacGruder's cargo crates. "What are you doin' about?" Eddie asked, a little too quickly.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

"You know, sir, I don't think he is looking to be a hero. I think he just wants to have a sense of belonging. Then again, I could be wrong. Coreworlders tend to have that aura about them, same as Miller, and believe they are some holy gift from the gods. A load of gusa if you ask me." Valiant said.

Minerva seemed to agree and nodded. As the captain warned them about grinding hips with the good doctor, she gave a look of disgust.

"Not really into that sort, Capt'n. I prefer something with grease on it and the doctor doesn't look like he has had dirt under his nails since his mother found him rootin' around in her garden." the young woman said and went back to food.

Valiant couldn't help but let out a laugh at the one.

~~

Darren looked at the scrawny, unkempt man and steeled his gaze. "I'm not about anything. Can't a man walk on this ship without getting glared at or questioned?"

He gave Eddie a look of displeasure and headed down to the medical bay.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Eddie walked around the crate, following Miller as he walked for Medical.

"You know, I don't really like your tone." Eddie said. As he walked, he reached behind him, drawing out his sixgun, "I'm thinkin', it's high time people who think they're better'n me start showin' proper respect." He aimed his gun and waited for Miller to turn.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Miller turned on his heels, his face twisted in rage at the sight of the six-gun pointed at his face.

"You know something? Pull the trigger and you explain things to the captain. Even he will not stand for you pulling a gun on me. Besides, at this point, maybe it's better to just have you plug me and get it over with. Go ahead, big man, pull the cao trigger!"

Miller was shouting. He had had enough. No one, especially not this piece of Rim trash, was going to put a gun in his face and get away with it.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Eddie gawked at Miller's defiance. He looked at his gun, looked at Miller.
Attack: 20
Damage: 10

The bullet caught Miller by surprise, first by the fact that Eddie had the balls to do it, and then by the pain it brought. Miller slumped to the deck.

"Not very bright, for a doctor and all." Eddie said, backing away so he stood behind a trio of black metal crates.

Gabe heard the shot and was on his feet in a moment. "Val, there's a med-lift near the engine room, take it to medical." He said, heading for the starboard stairs.

"What's up, captain?" Lincoln asked.

"Stay here." Gabe said.

"But-" Jesse started. A rumble made Redemption shake, "Woah, that felt like a ship passing us."

"Go check it out, Jesse." Gabe said, "Lincoln, Minerva, stay here."

Gabe reached into his coat, and drew out the biggest handcannon any of them had ever seen. Sleek, black, with an oak handle, recoil shocks and barrel weight. The oversized revolver cylinder was loaded with rifle rounds. Gabe flicked the safety with his thumb and the weapon hummed as he started down the stairs.

Return to “Spellburn”