Firefly/Horizons: Brave New World (part one)

Forum for Spellburn developers.
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Firefly/Horizons: Brave New World (part one)

Post by MWallace »

Serenity Valley, Hera

The bunker was a flurry of panic and motion. The sharply-cut corridors were dark, alit only by the flames roaring from metal barrels lining the hallway. Officers in the olive-green uniforms of the Independence Regular Army hurried from one room to the next, collecting papers and data disks and hurling them into the crackling fire barrels. Desks were chopped up and added to the flames. Safes were cracked and their contents destroyed.

Gabriel watched it all from his hurricane's eye, a place of cold calm amidst the fires. Beside him, Grigori watched, stifling a yawn.

"This place will be a hollow husk soon." Grigori said, "They choose to live as slaves rather than live in sin."

Gabriel frowned, "Men are dying up above us, even now. They die because they think they're fighting for a victory. But they're dying so we can bury all of this. And their blood will salt the earth for us."

"Isn't that funny. The Alliance would be doing the same, if they were losing." Grigori said, "Hiding everything they ever did, burying it so no one could find it, remember it, expose it to the masses. Don't fool yourself into thinking that we're the only dirty secret in the 'verse."

Alarm klaxons started to howl in the corridor. Men looked about nervously.

"That would be the shuttles." Grigori said, "All of you, continue your duty! You finish your jobs, and then we take you off-planet, ponjatyj?"

The men exchanged uncertain looks, and Grigori stepped forward, thumbing the hilt of his black katana to exposed the gleaming silvery blade an inch.

"Do your duty." Grigori said, letting the fires glitter off the blade, "Or you get buried with this bunker."

The men didn't hesitate. They started back to work.

Grigori smiled, "Come on, it's time to go, Gabriel." He turned and started down the corridor.

"I'm not going with you." Gabriel said, as firmly as he could.

Grigori paused in midstep. "Think about what you just said."

"I have, for eight years." Gabriel turned, on hand on the grip of the officer's saber hanging from his hip, "Go back to Sensei and tell him I am done."

"He made us." Grigori said, his voice quiet.

"He tainted us." Gabriel said, "Nothing he has given me has amounted to anything but more stains on my hands. I won't spend the rest of my life hiding from the Alliance with no one but his discipline and your sadism for company."

Grigori grinned as he ground his teeth, "You and your conscience. You can't hide from what you did. What we have done."

"No." Gabriel said with a grimace, "But I can bear it, so long as I never have to look either of you in the eye again. As long as I never have to commit such deeds again.

Grigori turned slightly, one hand on his katana. With a gesture he could strike. "And to think Sensei favors y-"

"Oh, and Grigori." Gabriel interrupted and stepped in close, so close neither could draw blades, "One last thing. If I do ever see you again, I will make you regret all your sin. Dong-ma?"

Grigori let out a slow breath, then smiled. "Nothing you do will avoid us seeing each other again, you know that. Go run and cry over the fallen Independence. If you can't live in sin, try life as a slave..."

Grigori turned and walked away, leaving Gabriel standing amidst fiery barrels and men desperate to bury black secrets. Gabriel turned away from Grigori and walked through the bunker, staring into empty rooms where only blackened, bolted-down steel remained. Everything had been burned - books, banners, blood.

Suddenly unable to breathe, Gabriel quickened his pace until he reached a surface access lift and punched the button. As the elevator started up, he tore off the coat of his uniform and ripped at the tight collar around his neck. The elevator came to a stop and opened into a shattered cement pillbox. The night sky above was bright with the flashes of flak guns and anti-aircraft fire, though Gabriel couldn't see any ships.

"Sir..." Came a struggling voice. Gabriel looked to his right to see a soldier lying amidst the debris, not buried, he must have crawled all this way and then given up trying to reach the elevator. The wound in his stomach was... more than fatal. Gabriel saw a bit of bone in there...

Gabriel walked over to the soldier and knelt down. "Easy, soldier. Medics are..." He gritted his teeth, "Medics are on the way."

The man visibly relaxed. "Franklin Elwik, 57th Overlanders, sir. Under... Sergeant Reynolds."

"You're out of uniform, soldier." Gabriel said with a smile.

"Didn't... want to stain it." Franklin said, gesturing with a shakey hand. The leather brown coat had been folded neatly and sat beside the soldier, just out of the way. "It's a... nice coat. Wanted to take it home to the folks."

Gabriel smiled, "That it is." He said. He looked at the man's wound again, winced, and draped his officer's coat over the man's midsection, "A very fine coat, probably one of the finest things the Independent Worlds ever fabricated."

Franklin smiled, then his eyes turned hopeful, "We're... we're winning, right? The battle... for Serenity..."

Gabriel stared at the man's collar. "We ah... you're doing just fine, son. Don't fret over a thing. We've ordered the sub-orbital support. They should be here within the week. You just... keep holdin' those trenches."

Franklin smiled again, "Will do, sir. Sir? I... I don't think I'll be makin' it back to the fight..."

"Don't say that," Gabriel said, "Those medics'll patch you up right as rain before you can say smert'k sojuzy."

Franklin didn't bother to try and laugh. He held up the grip of his rifle but couldn't lift the rest of the weapon off the ground, "This is... my piece, sir. It's a... six-round single-fire Oroburos FMJ. It's not regulation, sir, but I, it kept me alive against every blue-cap I ever went up against. Heh, couldn't, save me from that... grenade, of course... Well, sir, I just... if you could find someone, to take it back, into the fight, for me? I think... I'd like that."

Gabriel looked at the weapon. It was a beautiful looking weapon, maintained not just with military discipline but love and care. Franklin understood a rifle's importance to a soldier.

"I'll take it out there myself, private." Gabriel said, holding out his hand.

Franklin held out the grip and Gabriel took it, and Franklin squeezed Gabriel's hand against it, "Pop a few blue-caps, and toast a few shots for me, will you?" Franklin asked.

He died before Gabriel could speak, his life seemed to flow out of him as the rifle left his hands.

"I promise." Gabriel said to dead eyes. He stood with Franklin for a long time. No medic would come, of course. No sub-orbital strike. No victory.

He left his coat draped over Franklin's midsection, and picked up Franklin's coat and slid it on, it fit easily, comfortably. It felt warmer than that stiff olive green jacket. Gabriel slung Franklin's rifle over his shoulder, saluted him, then started to hike down towards the valley.

He had a promise to keep.
Last edited by MWallace on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Kentucky City, Regina
Seven Years Later

"Your fleet has put up a good fight, admiral, but now the war has ended. The final blow has yet to be made. Were you not such a monster, such a stain of humanity, I would merely arrest you and drag you before the interplanetary courts. But no, your sin is too heavy for anyone to bear but God. So go with God, and see what judgment he has in store for your wretched, pathe-"

"For the love of Buddha, Lincoln, just make your gorramn move!"

Lincoln grinned and poked the plastic numb into the grid point. "C9!"

"Yeah yeah, you sunk my gorram battleship." Jesse said, leaning back from the table, "Is this what you do all day while the Captain and I are off interviewing crewmembers?"

"Don't be such a sore loser, Jess." Lincoln said, setting aside the game, "So, come on. Let's see 'em."

Jesse glared. "See what??"

Lincoln waved his hands in front of his chest, "You know. Come on, we were playing for keeps here."

"Dung yi miao I never agreed to this!" Jesse snapped.

"Hey, I stipulated the rules very clearly before we started play, I can't be held responsible if you didn't read the user agreement, now come on. Partial nudity is going to be happening today." Lincoln said.

"Yeah, and unless you wanna be hanging by your gorram fei wu-"

"Jesse." Came a warning from the end of the table.

Jesse turned, staring at the captain's booted feet sitting on the table, "Captain, having this... college droput... is fun and all, but I will not be held responsible for the bodily injures I am abount to incur on him."

"Lincoln, stop trying to undress Jesse." Gabriel said from behind his boots. He flipped through a pile of resumes and tossed one aside, then started reading another.

"How come? One of my fellow crewmembers is Ms. Sihnon 2510 and I'm not allowed to see what I already knows there?" Lincoln asked.

"You already know?" Jessed growled.

"Hey, I have magazines! And your picture is still all over the Cortex. I cannot be held responsible for your ample extravagence gracing my inquisitive eyes." Lincoln said, leaning back in his seat.

"You wanna have kids someday, Lincoln?" Jesse asked.

"A little off the wall, proposing to me like that." Lincoln said with a grin.

Jesse grabbed his groin and squeezed. The young man's eyes grew a few sizes.

Gabe pulled his feet off the table and leaned forward, "Jesse Belle will knows seven different ways she can castrate you with the power of her will alone."

"So keep your brain in your skull and not your pants, dong-ma?" Jesse asked.

"Yes ma'am..." Lincoln gasped, and she let him go. He collapsed to the ground, groaning and red-faced.

"Alright, enough foreplay." Gabe said, standing, "Jesse, I've got a few potentials picked out for mechanics. They're all waiting at the work placement office."

"Yes sir." Jesse said, taking a handful of resumes from Gabe, then wiped her feet at Lincoln, "See you 'round, studly." She left with a smirk on her face.

Gabe walked over to Lincoln, staring down at him with his hands behind his back, "What have we learned today?" He asked.

"I think I'm bleeding." Lincoln said, he rolled onto his back. "Man... I always thought I yearned for a maiden's gentle touch on my nethers..."

Gabe snorted, "Well gather up what's left of your nethers and come with me. I've got a pair of potentials to look into, one's a doctor, I dunno, some core-world rich boy. But I wanna look this first one, ex-soldier, good with guns. Protection is hard to come by these days, having someone on call could be a might more encouraging to the folk we'll be runnin' boxes for. Come on, his message said he'd be waiting at the Long Legs."

Gabe started for the door. "Let's go studly, times' a wastin'."

"Right behind you, Cap." Lincoln said, pushing to his feet and hobbling after him.

A few minutes of walking got that funny limp out of Lincoln's gait, and they made good time for the Long Legs tavern.

"You're meeting a recruit in a tavern?" Lincoln asked.

"Not everyone looking for work does it at an Alliance regulated employment office." Gabe said, searching shop signs for the Long Legs, "'Specially not someone who is essentially a contract mercenary who will kill to protect cargo. They don't allow those on Alliance-licenced freighters, you know."

"Yeah, I know," Lincoln said, "But why do we even need a cargo-protecting-kinda-guy?"

"Because the Black ain't so friendly these days, that's something I assumed you already know, being a, what-you-call-it... disciple?" Gabe asked.

"Not just a disciple, I'm the Third Brother of Mr. Universe." Lincoln said, "You see we have a structured society set up to spread the signal-"

"Yeah, shiny, not caring." Gabe said, "Just help me find the tavern."

Lincoln's Spot Check: 16

"Is that it?" Lincoln asked.

Gabe turned towards the young man's gesturing arm and saw the neon sign with the long female legs. The two started towards the tavern, and Gabe reached for the door.

It shattered outward, and glass sprayed as an Alliance local law enforcement officer flew past Gabe and Lincoln, tumbling to the ground as a bloody wreck.

"This must be the place." He said.
Last edited by MWallace on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

So here's how it was.

The Alliance's dirty secret was exposed; Miranda, a world once inhabited by millions, lay dead, and the skies above haunted by Reavers, vicious cannibals tainted by the Pax, a chemical devised by the Alliance to "pacify" Miranda's populace. To make them "better."

But Mr. Universe, a reclusive hacker, uncovered the truth, and though he paid the price to tell it, he spread the signal throughout the 'verse, letting everyone from Sihnon to Whitefall know what the Alliance had done.

The Black just became a whole lot less hospitable. What'll come will be hard for everyone. The Alliance will cling to its power, and who knows what lengths they'll go to keep it. Outrage over the Pax Transmissions has spread fresh conflicts across dozens of worlds, and new factions are beginning to reach for power.

For some, this will be a time of great struggle and pain. For me and mine, these are times of great opportunity.

So let the powers-that-be duke it out. We'll weather the storm.

'Cause no matter who does what, the 'verse just keeps on turnin'.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Serenity Valley, Hera

The drone of Alliance ground operators transmitted over Valiant's headset, telling him a story he was already seeing with his own two eyes. The Independence had surrendered. Their High Command had signaled their surrender over subspace radio to all Alliance ships...but Alliance High Command had told all inbound gunships to continue their bombing runs, to continue softening up the remaining ground troops that would still undoubtably be fighting despite their officers orders to surrender.

Any good soldier worth his rifle keeps fighting if he believes in a cause enough.

If there was one thing to be said about Independence soldiers, they believe in a cause worth fighting for.

Worth dying for.

Valiant's hands shook as they passed over the pilot controls, his eyes sweeping the data feed that was coming in, describing the current target. He raised an eyebrow and double checked the glowing green screen, questioning the order's accuracy.

The target was well known to him. It was the Independence's field hospital.

Valiant looked over at his co-pilot, a clean cut, fresh out of the Academy pilot who had the words "Flyin' Death" scrawled in blue letters on the side of his white flight helmet. He flashed a grin at Valiant, ten years his senior and also his CO.

"We going to bomb those rebels to Hell while they are just kicking back!" the youth hollared over the drone of the gunship's ion engines.

"Nope."

The simple word brought a look of bewilderment and confusion on the co-pilot's face and when Valiant began to steer the gunship off course, that look turned into one of open hatred and rage.

"What the hell do you think you are doing, sir?! We have orders to bomb that target to jien ta duh guay!"

"Don't use that language on my ship and we are not going to destroy a hospital! Killing those wounded is not an option. I will accept full responsibility for this, but I've seen enough killing. They surrendered, what we are doing is wrong. Leave it at that."

The co-pilot began to stutter a response and began to reach for his service pistol.

"Don't do that, son."

The co-pilot found himself looking down the barrel of Valiant's magnum. The silvery metal gleamed in the light of the approaching sun.

The youth's eyes went even wider, threatening to fall out of his head. He gulped and nodded.

Valiant's free hand turned the gunship away for the target and he could hear the angered yelling of the ground operator over his headset. He reached up and turned off the ear piece.

Enough dying had happened today.

Valiant had enough that day.
Chris McCoy
Freelance Game Designer and Goblin Wrangler
Writing Portfolio
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Kentucky City, Regina
Seven Years Later

Unification.

What a worthless term.

The only thing that all folks had in common in the Universe was that they all bled the same color.

And sometimes, that was the only common factor folks needed to bond together.

Val's thoughts grew as clouded as the glass of cream whiskey that sat in front of him.

His thoughts usually wandered back to his war days when he got to drinking. How he served the Alliance, brought fiery death from the heavens down upon the raging battlefield below, and why he had joined up in the first place.

All because of his family, his personal honor to serve as they had.

What a load of luh suh.

They had ordered him to destroy a hospital. A tent city full of wounded soldiers, volunteer civilians, and unarmed doctors.

He would be damned if he was going to bomb innocent people.

That choice had cost him his military career. He had been court marshaled, stripped off his pension and rank, and banished from the Core Worlds. His parents had disowned him, the Alliance viewed him as a traitor, and the only solace he had found was at the bottom of a bottle.

All until yesterday.

A young woman, dressed in the formal wear of a honest-to-God businesswoman, had come into the Long Legs and inquired about job postings for a mechanic. She wasn't the prettiest thing in the 'Verse but her long legs, red hair, and bright green gaze drew some unwanted attention...from a pair of drunken Alliance law enforcement agents.

One of them had draped an arm around her and the other was chuckling at his friend, his smile threatening to spread past his ears.

"Hey, sweetie, care to unify my system with yours?" the one with his arm around her shoulders said, his hoarse breath recking of cheap liquor.

The woman had squirmed and tried to get away from the ruffian but his grip was vicelike and held her still.

Valiant had been watching the whole thing through a steely gaze.

He thought back and tried to remember what had happened first. He didn't know if it was the back of his pistol smashing into the first fellow's nose or whether it had been the well-placed kick to the man's groin that had started the whole barroom brawl.

Regardless, two Alliance patrol officers had ended up at the hospital that night and Valiant, while nursing a sore jaw, was drinking at the Long Legs Tavern the next day...and had a new friend.

A mechanic named Minerva, a brilliant young woman who had graced him with a dazzling smile and a thankful hug.

He had felt right that day and the feeling was still lingering...

At least until the largest Alliance officer he had ever seen walked through the door and headed in his direction.

Valiant sighed and adjusted the tattered dark blue officer's beret on his head. He kicked his booted feet off of the battered table and sat up straight, just as the Alliance officer stormed up and stood not more than an inch from Valiant’s face.

“You are under arrest for the assault on Alliance personal. A man such as you should know that’s a crime.”

Valiant just chuckled a little and looked the taller, stronger man dead in the eyes.

“I don’t feel like being arrested today. Besides, your two friends were out of line. But then again, I’m sure you purple-belly bastards are used to being out of line. You know, with Miranda and all…”

That was enough to get the officer to swing at him.

That was all Valiant had wanted. Let him draw first blood.

The man moved quicker than Valiant thought he would. Valiant moved under the man’s heavy blow yet still took a glancing blow to his shoulder. The ex-soldier almost lost his balance but remained upright enough to put his other shoulder into the man’s chest and push upward, out of his chair and with one hundred and fifty pounds of force behind him.

The officer went flying through the nearby window, a shower of glass and blood landing just outside the tavern. A few patrons screamed and the barkeep gave Valiant a look that would have killed a lesser man.
“Sorry about that, Jakes.” The barkeep, a long time acquaintance of Valiant’s, only shook his head and set about to clean up the mess.

“You best be headin’ outta here, Val. These boys will have backup comin’ sooner or later.”

Valiant nodded and headed out the door…only to run into the very man he had been hoping would answer his call for work that he had put up that very morning.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Gabe looked at the bloodied Alliance Fed, hiked his coat behind his legs and stepped over him into the bar.

"You and me always go to the nicest parts of town, cap'n." Lincoln said, cautiously moving around the groaning Fed.

Gabe ignored him and stared at the half-asian, half-caucasian standing before him. Had the look of a soldier, all right. A soldier who had all the wrong experiences from the war. Gabe could relate.

"You Valiant?" He asked.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant nodded curtly.

"You Gabe?"

He didn't wait for a response. "Regardless, we need to be moving away from here. If you got some other place to chat, I'd love to see it since things are not going to be too friendly around here with all the purple bellies crawling around."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

"Yeah, beat a few Feds up and more come looking. Can't imagine the reasoning behind that." Gabe said, "I've got one of my crew checkin' in on mechanics at the employment center, we'll chat there."

Before anyone can move, Gabe held up his hand. He looked pointedly at the Alliance men on the floor. "Is this going to be a routine problem, or am I going to have to have to find a less bruise-cruisin' gunman?"
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant couldn't help but grin at the bloodied Alliance soldier and the younger Captain.

"No sir. This isn't a routine thing unless you want it to be."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

A hint of a smile caught Gabe. "Good. My names Gabriel Sage, and if you're looking for long-term work, I'm looking for long-term cargo and ship security. This is Studly, ship's... what is it you do?"

Lincoln stared at Gabe, then at Valiant, "Lincoln Lathan, I'm computer technician and communications officer."

Gabe shrugged, "So he says. Well, ain't nothin' holding us here, is there?"

He led the way out of the bar, making a point to step over the fallen Fed with the same swaggering gesture. Lincoln just skirted around the officer, wanting nothing to do with the whole thing.

"So I've got a bit of your work record off your resume, but there's a few gaping holes in-between this decade and that that are a mite conspicuous." He looked at Valiant directly, "Now Val - can I call you Val? - I'm not for pushing blame on folks who fill in resumes with criminal records, I aim to run a smooth, respectable semi-legitimate business, so in the interests of making things shiny and square, care to fill in a few holes for me? Like, why that bar has such a sharply dressed blue-capped doormat?"
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant nodded curtly to the portly "communications officer" and turned his attention back to Gabe as they began to walk away from the Long Legs Tavern.

"By all means, call me Val. I prefer it, actually." He said as they walked past a row of scantily clad women, all of them peddling their "wares" and Gabe had to stop momentarily to drag the gaping Lincoln along.

Valiant sighed heavily as the captain asked about his past. He knew this was coming. He cursed himself silently for not making something up to cover those holes in his resume.

"Well, Gabe, lemme put this as straight as I can. I'm not going to give you some bleeding heart bullshit story, like most war veterans do. I'm no big damned hero. I didn't serve some cause I felt was worth dying for. I served in the Alliance during the war. I was an officer, just like the beret says. The 298th Gunship Brigade, the "Flying Valiants". Seen action on Whitefall, Osiris, and Hera. I was at Serenity Valley when all hell broke loose. The Alliance committed a lot of atrocities during those days and they ordered me to do one of them. I refused. I got court martialed. The Alliance don't agree with me and I return it full force. Plain and simple."

He paused for a moment before continuing, letting it all sink in. This was the most he had spoken to anyone, save for Minerva, in the last decade or so.

"As for that sharply dressed doormat, his friends pulled a stunt with a young lady who didn't much like their touching. I just set them straight is all."

"Does that answer all your questions, sir?"
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

"...Osiris, and Hera. I was at Serenity Valley..."

The rest seemed to wash out into static, and Gabe found himself just staring hard at Val as the older man continued to talk. The world stretched back to a blasted landscape on another world...

The Alliance soldier got the drop on her, swinging his empty rifle for all it was worth. She brought up her own to deflect the blow - losing her own weapon to the force, and fell back, landing hard amidst the rubble.

The man had murder in his eyes. He brought his rifle back up for a second swing, and this time Zoe had no spare guns to block it with. She braced herself-

(Attack: 15)
(Damage: 13)

Growling, Gabe leapt over a shattered chunk of building and swung his saber, catching the Alliance soldier in the back, just below his armor. The blade cut through flesh and raked across spine, and the man screamed, falling forward. Zoe rolled aside as the man fell, and Gabe jumped on the man's back, bringing the blade down for his exposed neck.

(Attack: 16)
(Damage: 6)

The blade pierced the man's neck, and he died instantly, barely bleeding a drop onto the dirt. Gabe let out a long, weary breath, and yanked the saber free.

"Behind you!" Zoe shouted.

Gabe whirled as an Alliance soldier fired from behind cover.

(Alliance Attack: 15)
(Alliance Damage: 14)

The bullet tore through Gabe's right shoulder, and he felt the hammer blow like the thunder of Heaven. He was knocked back and hit a broken wall hard, falling through it to land in a heap of dust and his own blood.

"Don't move!" The soldier snarled, stepping out from cover, keeping his rifle on Zoe. He moved quickly forward, gave his comrade a tap with his boot, but already knew the man was dead. Hate colored his eyes.

"You browncoat scum-" He aimed at Zoe, and she closed her eyes.

(Attack: 13)
(Damage: 13)

Gabe fired with his good arm, and Franklin's rifle crackled like thunder. The bullet spanged off the soldier's helmet, and he was knocked back, his eyes going wide.

Zoe took her chance. She rushed the stunned soldier, grabbing for his weapon.

(Zoe Attack: 22)
(Zoe Grapple/Disarm: 17)
(Alliance Grapple: 10)

Zoe yanked the soldier's weapon from his arms, though he could barely understand anything of what was happening around him, his head rang so loud it hurt. Zoe didn't hesitate. She put the barrel to the man's chin and fired.

(Zoe Attack: 18)
(Zoe Damage: 13)

The bullet took the man's head out from under his helmet. He fell lifeless beside his comrade.

Gabe let out a relieved sigh, even through the pain. Zoe was with him in moments. "You still with us?"

"For the moment." Gabe said, "How's it look?"

Zoe smiled, "I've seen plenny worse, and that's a fact."

Gabe snorted, "Never been shot before."

"You've been fighting this long and you've never taken a hit?" Zoe asked.

Gabe shook his head, "Not a soldier, just an... just a green-coat."

Zoe nodded, understanding, "What brings the glorious greens down from their high horse to this pit?"

Gabe grimaced at the irony. He certainly hadn't come down from anywhere. "Just... wanted to do my part."

Zoe smiled, a newfound respect in her eyes. Then she spotted the gun. "That's not yours. That's Frankie's"

Gabe nodded. "He... didn't make it, I'm sorry." He sighed, "He... he wanted me to take it out... take it back to the fight." Gabe winced. Something was burning in his blood, and it was spreading.

"Don't talk, I'll call for med-evac." Zoe said.

"Take it..." Gabe said, thrusting the rifle at her, "It belongs with... his comrades."

Zoe stared at the weapon, then shook her head, "I think it's found its keeper." She brought out a radio, "This is the 57th Overlanders, I need a med-evac at grid nine-niner, echo back to me, over."

Gabe heard the garbled reply, "No," Gabe said, he grabbed Zoe's arm, "No, you have to pull back." He gasped, "They're pulling back."

Zoe put her hand on his good shoulder and held him down, "Don't speak." She said. "The sergant is holding the valley, the Alliance won't break us. I promise you."

"No-" Gabe sighed, "You have to evac, they're... they're going to-"

He winced again, the pain was in his heart. It was squeezing.

"I say again, we need immediate evac at my location! He's going into arrest, gorramit!" Zoe tossed the radio aside and put her hands on Gabe's chest. She yanked out a small vial of something white with its own syringe and stabbed him with it. He felt the prick of the needle, then felt a cold numbness in him. He didn't know if that was good or bad.

"You have to get out." Gabe said, and Zoe was speaking to him, but he couldn't hear her. Above her were lights, an Independence Evac Shuttle.

You have to evacuate, Gabe tried to say.

They've surrendered the Valley.

You're fighting for nothing.

"Does that answer all your questions, sir?"

Gabe came back to the world and blinked, eyes wide. The phantom of pain in his chest receeded. Val watched him, waiting for an answer.

"I-" Gabe took a breath. Val had been at Serenity? Fighting for the Alliance. Refused to commit Alliance atrocities? Part of him suddenly wanted to cut Val down with his saber, another wanted to weep; the irony of it all was as gentle as a Reaver's touch.

Gabe smiled instead, plastering a grin as plastic as the rest of him suddenly felt.

"Shiny." He said, "Man's gotta have brass stones standin' up for what he believes in. Good deeds are hard to find now-abouts, even in Companion fairy tales. Shiny."

He turned and started walking again. "Real shiny."
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

"Real shiny," Gabe said as he began to walk away, the look of a haunted man in his eyes. A haunted man that had seen the types of horrors of a war.

Valiant just stared hard at the departing man for a few moments before shaking loose the cobwebs of his own mind and found himself wandering whether he should simply leave or follow the departing captain.

Valiant knew he had to follow this man. He had to know what horrors he had seen.

They were the same visions that plagued his sleep each night.

Demons.

Demons that two men could defeat easier, together.

He followed behind quietly.

Valiant had found his captain.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

The employment allocation center was essentially a series of private interview offices that were rented out by employers to meet with potential employees, handy for ship captains and such who had no local offices.

"It's a Callisto AA27 drive, a '15 if I'm not mistaken," Jesse said, flipping through her notes, "But it's not a standard for the vessel it's installed in, so at the moment we're having some trouble keepin' power-flow focused..."

She trailed off. The bumpkin in front of her, Ruddy, was staring again. She waved her hand in front of her chest and he blinked back to the world.

"Oh! Yeah, right. Hey, no problem!" Ruddy said, "I'm good with those Capissen 28's."

Jesse rolled her eyes, "It wasn't a Capissen. It was a Callisto. AA-"

"AA, right." Ruddy said, nodding.

"Twenty-seven."

"Yeah, Callisto. That's what I meant." Ruddy said. His eyes drifted south again, and didn't come back.

Jesse sighed and leaned back, covering her chest with her papers. She had to start wearing her jacket more often. "Look, Ruddy, I don't think you're right for the job."

"What? No! Hey, I can do it! I can!" Ruddy protested.

"This job requires a lot of focus." Jesse said, tossing her papers on the desk.

"Hey, I can be focused!" Ruddy said, and his eyes drifted down again, "I can be very, very, very focused..."

Jesse smiled off the gag reflex and stood up, "You know what, Ruddy? I think you're right." She walked around the desk, stomping her heels to make her chest bounce. Ruddy didn't miss a moment. "I think you can be very, very, very focused." She took his hand in both of hers.

The touch made Ruddy shiver, "Uhhh-heh-heh... uh... so ah, does that mean, that... that we'll be in the same bed, together? The same ship together?"

"Sure." Jesse said.

(Attack: 13)
(Damage: 8)

Jesse twisted the man's arm up and over her shoulder as she turned, then yanked it down hard, popping the elbow out of its joint. Ruddy let out an agonized scream as she pulled his limp arm behind his back and shoved him against the desk.

"Now listen to me you qing-wa cao de liu mang, you wanna fly with me? Well every time I see you staring at me like I'm a gorramn piece of bed-meat, I'm gonna make you unwholesome, dong-ma?!"

"Okay! Okay! Lemme go!" Ruddy shrieked, and she shoved him towards the door. He cradled his limp arm in his good one, "You xi-niu xiong-meng de kuang-ren!"

Jesse slapped her thighs in annoyance, "Now, you see? I'm gonna have to take an oyster for that..."

Ruddy all but kicked open the door in his escape, running right into the chest of a browncoat. Ruddy hit the wall with his bad arm, screamed again, and fled down the hallway.

"Ego noga-pykhtenija, kapajushaja mocha," Gabe said, "Jesse, was that my mechanic?"

"No sir," Jesse said, "Just someone looking for a bathroom."

"Prokljaite zto. That's the third one this week." Gabe said.

"Technically the second," Lincoln put in, "The one on Monday was a chick."

"Zakrytyjj!" Gabe snapped, "We need a mechanic, Jesse. We don't have a mechanic, we'll never get off this rock. Have you been doing this to all the applicants I gave you?"

"He's the first, I just got here." Jesse said, "And I'd rather stay rockside permanently rather than hire a mechanic whose brain is in his pants."

Gabe sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. After a moment, he stepped back a bit, "Jesse, this is Val. He is, for lack of a less formal term, ship's security."

Jesse stepped forward, offering her hand to the man, "I'm Jesse Belle." She said, watching for his reaction.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant watched as the injured man stumbled by, crying out words that would have made his Chinese ancestors clutch their ears and pray to Buddha.

"Jesse, this is Val. He is, for lack of a less formal term, ship's security."

Valiant turned his head away from the fast fading whimpers of pain and looked up at his newfound captain and the god-honest prettiest woman he had ever seen on this dusty rock of a planet.

He looked her dead in the eyes as she extend her hand and introduced herself as Jesse Belle. Her grip was solid, the touch of a practiced warrior. He returned the squeeze with the equal amount of pressure and nodded.

"My name is Valiant. Pleasure." He nodded again and released her hand.

This woman was one who knew her way around a dojo. Valiant could admire that.

"So, looking for a mechanic? I think I might know the perfect one..." he said quietly.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Jesse shook Valiant's hand, but noted the way he had to direct himself to look her in the eyes, to squeeze her hand in just the right way. She continued to smile. It was better than Ruddy, at least. Still, in her three categories of men file, Valiant still have to make himself not look. The majority of men, Lincoln included, fell into the I saw, I conquered, I ca-

Anyways. Only three men had ever made it into her best category. Her father, her aikido instructor, and-

"So, looking for a mechanic? I think I might know the perfect one..." Val said quietly.

"A mechanic?" Gabe asked, "You know one?"

"Please tell me it's a girl." Lincoln said.

Jesse put her hands on her hips, "Please tell him its a girl."
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant nodded once again, as was customarily his way instead of speaking.

"Yes, a young woman named Minerva. She was the reason that bar had such a sharply dressed Alliance doormat. His friends had a liking to her, she didn't, I agreed with her. End of story. But, from the way she talked last night, the girl was born to be caked in grease and tuning up an engine."

He paused a moment.

"I'm surprised she hadn't put her resume in here. She was looking for work, last I recall."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Gabe scratched his jaw, "Minerva... Minerva." He went into the office Jesse was using and came back with a handful of resumes, flipping through them. "Minerva... Minerva Callahan? I just got this one. She seemed okay, but from ther age I'd assumed she took some exaggerative credit with her worksheet."

He held up the resume, complete with a mugshot like photo of a red-haired woman in a sharp suit. "This one?"
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Valiant looked at the photo and it was almost the same look Minerva had yesterday, when he first meet her.

"Yes sir. That's her and from the way she spoke, I'm thinking she has been around engines all her life. If I may, sir, I'd recommend you look into her. She might be worth the time..."

He glanced over at Jesse.

"And the shattered elbows. Not that I blame you, Ms. Belle."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

"Well ain't this a karmatic coincidence." Gabe said, "Okay then. Jesse, give Ms. Callahan a call, let her come down here. If she's half as good as Val recommends, then she'll be worth havin' around. Val, if you could stay here? She might be more receptive to taking our job opening if she knows her knight in shiny is on board as well. Lincoln, come with me, we're gonna see the doc. Front desk said he was twiddling his surgeon's thumbs upstairs."

Lincoln shrugged and followed Gabe down the hallway, "I don't even do anything on these trips, can't I just go check out the ship?"

"No." Gabe said, "They're still gettin' everything squared away. I don't want anyone to see it until it's prepped."

"It's not like it's a bride, you know." Lincoln said.

"Careful, mister. You're treadin' on mined territory." Gabe said.

"Aiya huai-le! You do think it's a bride!" Lincoln said, laughing.

"So should you, Studly. She's the only beauty you're liable to ever get a touch of." Gabe growled.

"Aw, c'mon Cap you don't mean that-" Lincoln said.

Jesse watched the two wander off, then turned towards Val and shrugged, "Well, let's get Ms. Callahan down here, huh?"

The two of you step back into Jesse's office and she seats herself down behind it. "Just sit where you like, this won't take but two minutes."

She gives Minerva a page over the local comnet and then leans back in her chair, kicking her high-heeled boots up on the table. "So, you seem to have gotten Gabe's a-okay rather quick. How'd you do it?"
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Jesse kicked her heels up on the interview table and Valiant just shrugged at her question.

"Honestly? I think we are cut from the same mold, being soldiers and all. I think laying out that Alliance officer also helped."

Valiant turned slightly in his chair as the sharply dressed young woman known as Minerva walked eagerly into the room.

Her heels clicked on the battered steel floor as she rushed into the room, her leather portfolio opened and ready to be presented. Her deep red hair was piled high on her head and held together by a pair of ebony chopsticks. Her emerald green eyes looked at the heavy chested woman before her and widened for only a brief moment before she shuffled her papers and laid claim to the seat in front of the desk.

She hadn't even noticed Valiant, who was seated by the door.

Minerva pulled forth a copy of her resume from the pile of paperwork and set it politely in front of the woman behind the desk.

"Hello! I'm Minerva...Minerva Callahan. I see you have an opening regarding the position of engineer and ship's mechanic?" she spoke slowly yet her excitement was hardly contained.

Valiant only grinned as Jesse began the interview.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

"Honestly? I think we are cut from the same mold, being soldiers and all. I think laying out that Alliance officer also helped." Valiant said.

Jesse rose an eyebrow. She hadn't known that about Gabe. She had never thought much about the war, except for the number of sales her calendars had sold for a good four years up to her becoming Ms. Sihnon 2510. It made her feel a bit more ashamed. She remembered the one thing bothering her about the war ending was the fact that she didn't make better sales once it ended.

She sighed. She'd really been bought in to the shallow life back then, hadn't she?

The hustle of high-heels clicking off the floor alerted her to Minerva Callahan's entrance before Jesse actually saw the woman. She pulled her feet off the desk and tried to sit straight as Minvera entered, hugging her portfolio to her chest. She had it opened and spread it out for Jesse on the desk. Jesse smiled. She looked like a core-worlder, but her body language was mid-to-Rim. Her parents had probably shown her how to monkey the office secretary look.

"Hello! I'm Minerva...Minerva Callahan. I see you have an opening regarding the position of engineer and ship's mechanic?" Minvera asked, catching her breath.

"We do." Jesse said, "Sit down, I'm Jesse Belle, the pilot. Our captain's interviewing another client right now - a ship's doctor. You'll get a chance to meet him soon enough, however. Let's get down to it, shall we? Now, normally, your resume would be a bit of a question, Minerva. I'm seeing a lot of hand's on experiences, but nothing in the professional training category. Like I said, normally that would be a problem, but we're eager to find a engineer with some real skills. First of, lemme describe the ship. She's Horizon-class, kind of rare, so I don't know if you've had any experience with her? Most folk around here haven't used much Alliance military tech, unless Mr. Valiant here has?" She looked past Minerva at Valiant.

"Look, all I'm saying is that sweater jackets from a college you dropped out of don't exactly fit fashion 'round here. You stand out like a blue-cap, dressed all prettied up. Some ogrish cattle queen's gonna take a liking to you, and I will take top dollar if I am offered enough to trade your soft skin."

Lincoln grimaced, "You really have to make a situation sound as deplorable as you possibly can, don't you?"

Gabe shrugged as they reached the door to the office, "Look, it just never pays to dress up and act all charming on the Rim, dong-ma?"

He opened the door and Gabe and Lincoln found themselves watching a handsome man in a sharp suit progressing his way past first base with a pretty young woman. Everyone seemed to freeze.

"I need a jacket like that." Lincoln said.

End of Act I

Click for Commercial!
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Minerva whirled on her heels and almost lost a shoe in the process as she let out a gleeful noise as she saw the grinning Valiant.

He stood up just as the young woman threw her arms around the strong man's neck and showered his ruddy cheek with a quick kiss.

"Val?! You are on this vessal? This is perfect, coincidentally perfect!" Minerva smiled joyously as her "knight in shiny" as Gabe had put it nodded to her questions.

She stopped suddenly as Jesse cleared her throat.

"Oh, my apologies! Val and I go back a bit...Um, your questions...? Yes...!" Minerva stumbled over her words as she quickly reclaimed her seat, as did Valiant.

"I was raised on a Firefly class transport and a dozen other types of spacecraft. I worked briefly in a ship salvage yard and one of my projects was stripping down a Horizon-class gunship. So, to answer your question, I have had some experience with this type of ship. Getting one running should not be a problem. I can assure you and with Mr. Valiant's help, I am sure I can put your boat in the air and keep her there. Once I've adopted a ship as my own, nothing in the 'Verse can stop me from keeping her in the Black."

Valiant couldn't hide his smile and neither could Minerva.

~~

"I need a jacket like that." a young portly fellow said, breaking the mood of Darren's advance on the beautiful office worker who was supposed to be fetching her boss some coffee.

The woman stood up abruptly and straightened her suit, stammering off an excuse and quickly exiting through the side door.

Darren sighed and stood up, fixing his own clothes as the college boy and what looked to be his keeper walked up.

"You must be Captain Gabriel. My name is Dr. Darren Miller." He extended his hand towards the captain, offering a dazzling smile that could have stopped any trained Companion in her tracks.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
MWallace
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by MWallace »

Jesse smiled from the rather unprofessional embrace Minerva gave the older Valiant. It looked so unreal to have a dark-eyed veteran like Valiant in such a situation. Even he looked a mite uncomfortable.

"Maybe an interview is a little too formal?" Jesse asked, "Tell you what, Minerva, I'll get the captain, and we'll take a look at the ship. If you like it, and if you can prove to the captain that you can handle it, the job is yours."

"You must be Captain Gabriel. My name is Dr. Darren Miller." He extended his hand towards the captain, offering a dazzling smile that could have stopped any trained Companion in her tracks.

Gabe looked at the man's hands - soft, pedicured, clean. "Sage." He said, looking back at Darren, "It's Captain Gabriel Sage. You're Miller? Besides having seen you half-nude just now, what would your credentials be as a doctor? You patch up a lot of bulletholes where you come from?"
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

"Maybe an interview is a little too formal?" Jesse asked, "Tell you what, Minerva, I'll get the captain, and we'll take a look at the ship. If you like it, and if you can prove to the captain that you can handle it, the job is yours."

Minerva couldn't help but smile brightly as the big chested woman offered her the job. She bowed awkwardly and gathered up her portfolio.

"That would be wonderful. Let's go see this ship."

~~

"Sage." The captain said, looking back at Darren, "It's Captain Gabriel Sage. You're Miller? Besides having seen you half-nude just now, what would your credentials be as a doctor? You patch up a lot of bulletholes where you come from?"

Darren nodded and finished straightening his disheveled suit. He pulled his doctor's bag from between the two couch cushions and opened it up, withdrawing a slightly crumpled resume from it. He handed it to Captain Sage.

"I've just recently graduated from the medical academy at the head of my class and have treated a variety of wounds, as is standard to pass medical courses these days and get a doctor's license. I have that as well, as indicated here." He placed a well manicured finger on the resume and pointed out his cerification information to Gabriel.

"You can easily see that I am without a doubt the best candidate for this position."
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio

Return to “Spellburn”