Questions regarding Legacy of the Savage Kings

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Questions regarding Legacy of the Savage Kings

Post by Slider33 »

**Spoilers follow**

I've just read through Legacy of the Savage Kings, which I've decided to run for my group in an upcoming session. However, I have a few questions about it.

My main question is, what is the scale of the map? Does each square represent 5'x5' or possibly 10'x10'? I didn't see the map scale anywhere in the module or the map itself.

The reason I ask, is that many encounters involve a large number of creatures (sometimes double-digits) and if the map represents only 5x5 squares then that many creatures couldn't even fit in the space.

I'm guessing 1 sq = 10'x10' but I wanted to make sure.

-Also, a question regarding area 1-5 (the forge). I don't quite see how the room is intended to be used tactically as described in the text. there are double doors, opposite of an opening in the wall (no doors).

It's not quite clear to me where the molten metal is supposed to be poured and dividing the PC's from the ogre. I was merely curious as to where other DM's have placed it in the past that worked well.

-I'm not sure what the darkened "box" at the SW corner of building 1-5 is supposed to be, or a similar darkened "box" in area 2-21A. any ideas or are they of no importance?

Great module by the way, it will be perfect for the session and I know my players will love it. So far those are the only questions I have for now.

Are there any suggestions or pitfalls I should be aware of when running the module?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The map scale is one square = 10 feet. Ah, the benefits of reprints... once this one gets reprinted I can finally fix that!

I'll let the author (and others on these boards) cover the other questions. There are several threads on this module already, if you want to flip back a couple pages in the forum.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

If you want to see how my attempt at the module went, here's the link to it:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=834

Here's a link about the maps to this great module:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=834

Here's a link to a similar question about the map:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=879

That's all the threads I see referencing DCC #17. Good luck to you. It is a wonderful module and one that will entertain any group!

As to the molten metal, as I recall, the forge is located on the southeast edge of the building. My plan was to have it get dumped and the ogre was simply going to knock a large hole in the wall to make an exist for himself and the kobolds. Didn't need to do that for my group however. The ogre died in the yard.
Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Slider33 »

Thanks for the links, although I think the link to the map is the same link as the first. No matter, I can probably search and find some.

Loved your play-by-play analysis! I'll be running it in D&D 3.5, and I look forward to posting the events of my campaign as well after we play.

I do have another question though, when the PC's encounter the fortress, is the gate supposed to be open or is it always shut? I'm assuming it's shut. But in the following paragraph of Area 1-1 it says "It takes Graah and a team of 30 kobolds 10 mintues to drag it into place. The gate is only opened on Lady Kyleth's order."

I'm guessing this means the gate is supposed to start out shut, and stay shut unless Kyleth opens it.

However, in the "Tactics" paragraph it states:

"If characters rush the gatehouse, the defenders respond by tipping braziers pouring flaming oil...."

So does that mean the gate is open when the PC's first arrive, and they have a chance to rush inside if they catch the guards unawares?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I haven't had time to write up how they got into the Forge. They used the armor from the dead orcs to disguise themselves and gain enterence into the place.

I figured they Forge's gate was always closed. Why would anyone leave it open with lizardmen and other nasties all about?

Please post how your take on the module goes.
Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Slider33 »

I'm excited about this adventure! I know it will be challenging for my players. I was browsing some of the other threads on Savage Kings and some of the posters mentioned party-balance. The class balance my players are choosing is starting to concern me a bit ;)

Monk, Barbarian, Fighter, unknown. May be an additional open slot but his attendance is tentative.

What are your thoughts? I'm worried lack of magic support could spell trouble as well as a lack of support skills that tend to be useful in dungeon crawls (decipher script, disable device, trapfinding, and the like).

This will be interesting!

Of course I don't mind at all what they pick, (It's their funeral...) but if you guys think they are blatantly doomed to failure and think I should make some "suggestions" let me know, I'm curious as to how veterans of this module forsee this coming out.....
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Not having a thief or a magic-user will make the adventure more difficult. However, I'm not really the right DM to ask. I've always been a DM who wants folks to play the character they want to and not what they need to.

If no one enjoys playing a cleric, for example, why should someone have to play a PC they don't want to? Truely this is a game! We all get together to have a good time. I'll make sure the role of a cleric is filled by another means. Perhaps an NPC, or by lots and lots of cure potions. In one game, I had the party (sans cleric) find a magical quarterstaff that can cast heal once a day.

That's my take on it. Back in the '80s as a teenager we had a D&D club in high school. I disliked it for many reasons and soon dropped out. One of the reasons was if you didn't have a group of players the DM determined needed to be there everyone died. None of us wanted to play a thief. We all wanted to be magic-users, or clerics, or warriors of various sorts. "So sorry, someone has to be a thief," was the standard response. Arrgghh! It's a game. We all want to play and have fun! That didn't seem to matter. What mattered is the DM had all the classes.

That's why I'm not a good respondent to your question. I'd make it work if no one wanted to play those important classes some how.
Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Slider33 »

Yeah that's the exact reason I don't want to have to ever tell anybody what class they can or can't play. The reasons for ever needing to do so would be rare indeed.

Part of the fun of playing is getting to choose a class that you want, so it would really knock down the fun of the game to dictate it. So I really wouldn't want to do that of course, as long as they don't all die in the first couple of hours heheh.

I guess if there are some character deaths early on, they might realize quickly that they should attempt another approach and get some support classes, and I'll be happy to let them re-roll new one's.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I think that if they play creatively, they should be able to work their way through it (and maybe earn some more XP to boot). But if they try to hack their way through everything, it could get a little ugly. :)

(You might rule that the mad elf hermit isn't actually insane, and hangs around his hut to heal crusading PCs. Or maybe one of the slaves in the slave pits is a healer ... that sort of thing.)

Let us know how it shakes out.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Slider33 »

By the way, great job on this module, Harley!

First time I read through it I knew it was going to be perfect for the type of session I was planning on running ;)

Anyway, yeah I'm betting this is going to get very interesting! I can't really say how they'll play it but I think they'll be in for a surprise. Those are great suggestions, it would be easy to throw in a healer in a couple of places.

I can't wait to see what happens, I am dying to run this module....
Sir Clarence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Clarence »

I'm currently running Keep on the Borderlands with my son and his friends (a bunch of 12-year boys and girls) and intend to place Legacy of the Savage Kings into the nearby marsh area - the intended place as fas as I can see... :). It's one of the best DCC adventures that I've seen so far and I'm already looking forward to run it for the first time (converted to 1st edition btw).

I'm also thinking about tying a heavily modified A1-4 slavers series. Kyleth's slaving operations provide a perfect hook to that series and make her a perfect new slave lord.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Slider, Clarence:

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I hope the adventure bears them out in play. 'Ware the swamp ambush --- that encounter seems to wipe out an inordinate number of PCs.
Sir Clarence wrote:I'm currently running Keep on the Borderlands with my son and his friends (a bunch of 12-year boys and girls)...
That is SO cool. I hope they have a great time. What a perfect age to be gaming.
Sir Clarence wrote:... and intend to place Legacy of the Savage Kings into the nearby marsh area - the intended place as fas as I can see... :).
:D You saw through my shallow ruse. I'm excited that you converted it to 1st ed. Love that game system. It's a honor to be set adjacent to the Caves of Chaos.
Sir Clarence wrote:I'm also thinking about tying a heavily modified A1-4 slavers series. Kyleth's slaving operations provide a perfect hook to that series and make her a perfect new slave lord.
Wow. Now I'm a part of my a campaign involving my 2 favorite modules. I can die a happy man. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Slider33
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Slider33 »

Ah the encounter regarding the log bridge and the awaiting lizardmen? Yes very nasty indeed!
Sir Clarence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Clarence »

Thank you for the kind words, Harley. Yes, gaming with kids at this age is a blast. And please let me say that this quiet homage to B2 that can be found within the adventure (and in DCC 28 too btw!) gave me goosebumps when I first read it. Way cool, man!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”