DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Oh and Captain Gore sounds like a really fun villain. A minotaur with a peg-leg. That is one that I would never, ever forget.

So, tell us more of this pirate haven Jeff. Are we talking Freeport, or something along the lines of Freeport? I think Freeport would fit perfectly in the Known Realms.

On another note, the most depressing part of this is that I currently have no gaming group to speak of.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I think Freeport would fit perfectly in the Known Realms.
How convenient, since Freeport does exist in the Known Realms. :)
So, tell us more of this pirate haven Jeff. Are we talking Freeport, or something along the lines of Freeport?

Additional pirate fluff coming soon to a post near you!
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jeff's right. Ol' Freeport appeared in DCC # 20, so it appears in the setting books. A troubled city, Freeport, but only one of several candidates for your piratical adventures. The cool part is each writer fell in love with a different "pirate" location. No need to pick just one! :twisted:

To Jason and Other Aspiring Authors: Submission guidelines can be found here...

http://goodmangames.com/submissions.php

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
gmdave
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gmdave »

I was just reading over the preview, and was wondering if DCC 1 is set in the Southlands. I am running that right now and decided to have it be winter time during the course of the adventure. I have had heavy snows, and frigid winds, all of this I started before I new anything about DCC 35. would love for it to work correctly into my game, but if it is in the south well I will just have to tell them that it was the 100 year weather pattern change :wink:

Dave
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

gmdave wrote:I was just reading over the preview, and was wondering if DCC 1 is set in the Southlands. I am running that right now and decided to have it be winter time during the course of the adventure. I have had heavy snows, and frigid winds, all of this I started before I new anything about DCC 35. would love for it to work correctly into my game, but if it is in the south well I will just have to tell them that it was the 100 year weather pattern change :wink:

Dave
just a suggestion....

but even if it is located in a balmy southern realm and you've had strange blizzards and other cold environment weather lately, use that to spring into your next adventure. Maybe there's a front giant witch that has laired in a nearby abandoned keep and she's determined to make the local area more to her liking.....maybe she has a magical gemstone that turns the local area (say in a 50 mile radius) to cold weather.....maybe the characters will have to seek her out before the power of the gem gets out of her control (something she isn't aware can happen) and the local area is plunged into an irreversible never ending winter waste land. I'd suggest using the witch class that's presented in the DMG.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

DCC #1? That's set firmly in the Northlands, in the lands of the Crieste Empire. What made you think of the Southlands for that one? The Southlands are full of jungles and Mesoamerican cultures and snakey folk. :)
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
gmdave
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gmdave »

Jeff LaSala wrote:DCC #1? That's set firmly in the Northlands, in the lands of the Crieste Empire. What made you think of the Southlands for that one? The Southlands are full of jungles and Mesoamerican cultures and snakey folk. :)
No reason, Just saw the map, and it was hard to tell. This is cool, makes things much easier.

Thanks for the info :D
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

gmdave wrote:No reason, Just saw the map, and it was hard to tell. This is cool, makes things much easier.

Thanks for the info :D
It'd be easy to make that judgement.

The map that the clip was cut from is the middle map.(And it's really just a small portion of that map.) There are maps stacked both above and below.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

DCC #35 has cleared customs and is en route to the warehouse in Indiana. I can now confirm a release date. Allowing time for moving through the supply chain (ship to the warehouse, ship to distributors, ship to retailers), it should be available for sale in your friendly local retailer on October 16. Start your clocks... now!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks for the update, Joespeh. I'll be waiting imaptiently to get it. Although I won't be starting a game until January, at least I'll have good reading material for the rest of the year.

Oh, do you have any plans on releasing this as a PDF in the meantime?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

It'll be out in PDF at the same time it hits stores... everybody gets it at the same time. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Is it still in customs?
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

goodmangames wrote:It'll be out in PDF at the same time it hits stores... everybody gets it at the same time. :)
Darn, I was hoping to see it before. :cry:
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Renshai wrote:
goodmangames wrote:It'll be out in PDF at the same time it hits stores... everybody gets it at the same time. :)
Darn, I was hoping to see it before. :cry:
Thats what going to GenCon did for you. The wait is worth it, though. ITs a very good setting. I love that it is not human dominated.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

goodmangames wrote:Hi everyone,

DCC #35 has cleared customs and is en route to the warehouse in Indiana. I can now confirm a release date. Allowing time for moving through the supply chain (ship to the warehouse, ship to distributors, ship to retailers), it should be available for sale in your friendly local retailer on October 16. Start your clocks... now!
Great news, I can't wait to get my hands on this, even more so with all the positive comments presented here.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

PeelSeel2 wrote:Is it still in customs?
I failed my search check.....I see it earlier now after some sleep and Maliki's post.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

So, tell us more of this pirate haven Jeff.
I present the thorn in the side of all sea-faring tradesmen, empires, and explorers:
The Barrier Isles

Rulers: Cozette LeRoux and Lord Raazt
Resources: Trade and contraband
Capital: Bloodport

The chain of islands known as the Barrier Isles are named for their occupants’ propensity to harass, plunder, or sink merchant vessels sailing between the Northlands and the Southlands. The Isles are an unrivaled haven for pirates and buccaneers, a cluster of ports so rife with humanoid vermin that lawmen from the Northlands dare not approach with standards raised.

Before the infamous Bloody Jack made a name for himself more than one hundred years ago, the Barrier Isles were merely a temporary anchorage for Northland seamen making the voyages south and west. A collection of docking ports were settled, each governed by an appointed official from its founding country. The greatest of these was Port Isolé, established by the Criestine crown. A puzzling array of ruins half buried within the forested isles became a distraction to explorers, leading to conflicts among them as each competed to delve the ruins first. Over the years, the number of buccaneers who hid their loot in the ruins began to outnumber the isles’ reputable inhabitants, a situation which deterred merchants and imperial captains.

Then came Bloody Jack Dascombe, the most reviled and feared pirate of his time, with his fleet of loyal raiders. In a single night of blood-soaked violence, he rid the isles of all those he deemed to be in service to Crieste or its allied nations. Just as swiftly, Jack sailed on again, deigning to hide his own treasures elsewhere. Indeed, it was rumored that Jack had a secret island of his own, a place not found on any map, where he stashed his marvelous treasures. Of course, rumors endure today that Bloody Jack left behind small caches of his treasure within the Barrier Isles and many ambitious pirates have given their lives searching for them.
So begins the first three paragraphs of the Barrier Isles entry. There’s eight more in the book—not counting the descriptions of each port. I hope “DCC world” fans like to read. There’s a lot of words packed in that boxed set!

So anyway…

Geographically located in the middle of the Empyrean Ocean between the Northlands and the Southlands (although detailed in the Southlands chapter), the Barrier Isles are a chain of islands that have been claimed and reclaimed through time, at last falling into the hands of the pirates of the Known Realms.

The nefarious deeds of Bloody Jack (from DCC #4: Bloody Jack’s Gold and Joe Crow’s excellent Web enhancement) helped establish the Isles as what they are today: the ultimate pirate haven. Its capital “city” is Bloodport, which is reminiscent of the real world 17th century port of Tortuga, only fifty times more deadly and rife with monsters.

The Isles are ruled by a group of pirate lords (expect no formal hierarchy, as nothing about the Barrier Isles is on the books), at the top of which are the piratess Cozette LeRoux and the aging scrag Lord Raazt. The former is a bloodthirsty, red-haired warrioress and the latter is a one-eyed*, “retired” pirate with a nasty temper and a quasit familiar who “often parrots back the words of visitors in a mocking tone.”

* ...which begs the question, he's a scrag (aquatic troll), so why hasn't he regenerated the eye....? :wink:
Last edited by Jeff LaSala on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
powerboy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by powerboy »

Hi I can not wait for DCC #35! I am so looking forward to it and am very excited that it will be in PDF on the same day as the print version.

In planning my campaign, I have one quick question. I want to start off with The Dragonfiend Pact and was planning on using Welwyn as a early level base of operations.

Where is Welwyn located geographically?
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Jeff LaSala wrote:
So, tell us more of this pirate haven Jeff.
I present the thorn in the side of all sea-faring tradesmen, empires, and explorers:
The Barrier Isles

Rulers: Cozette LeRoux and Lord Raazt
Resources: Trade and contraband
Capital: Bloodport

The chain of islands known as the Barrier Isles are named for their occupants’ propensity to harass, plunder, or sink merchant vessels sailing between the Northlands and the Southlands. The Isles are an unrivaled haven for pirates and buccaneers, a cluster of ports so rife with humanoid vermin that lawmen from the Northlands dare not approach with standards raised.

Before the infamous Bloody Jack made a name for himself more than one hundred years ago, the Barrier Isles were merely a temporary anchorage for Northland seamen making the voyages south and west. A collection of docking ports were settled, each governed by an appointed official from its founding country. The greatest of these was Port Isolé, established by the Criestine crown. A puzzling array of ruins half buried within the forested isles became a distraction to explorers, leading to conflicts among them as each competed to delve the ruins first. Over the years, the number of buccaneers who hid their loot in the ruins began to outnumber the isles’ reputable inhabitants, a situation which deterred merchants and imperial captains.

Then came Bloody Jack Dascombe, the most reviled and feared pirate of his time, with his fleet of loyal raiders. In a single night of blood-soaked violence, he rid the isles of all those he deemed to be in service to Crieste or its allied nations. Just as swiftly, Jack sailed on again, deigning to hide his own treasures elsewhere. Indeed, it was rumored that Jack had a secret island of his own, a place not found on any map, where he stashed his marvelous treasures. Of course, rumors endure today that Bloody Jack left behind small caches of his treasure within the Barrier Isles and many ambitious pirates have given their lives searching for them.
So begins the first three paragraphs of the Barrier Isles entry. There’s eight more in the book—not counting the descriptions of each port. I hope “DCC world” fans like to read. There’s a lot of words packed in that boxed set!

So anyway…

Geographically located in the middle of the Empyrean Ocean between the Northlands and the Southlands (although detailed in the Southlands chapter), the Barrier Isles are a chain of islands that have been claimed and reclaimed through time, at last falling into the hands of the pirates of the Known Realms.

The nefarious deeds of Bloody Jack (from DCC #4: Bloody Jack’s Gold and Joe Crow’s excellent Web enhancement) helped establish the Isles as what they are today: the ultimate pirate haven. Its capital “city” is Bloodport, which is reminiscent of the real world 17th century port of Tortuga, only fifty times more deadly and rife with monsters.

The Isles are ruled by a group of pirate lords (expect no formal hierarchy, as nothing about the Barrier Isles is on the books), at the top of which are the piratess Cozette LeRoux and the aging scrag Lord Raazt. The former is a bloodthirsty, red-haired warrioress and the latter is a one-eyed, “retired” pirate with a nasty temper and a quasit familiar who “often parrots back the words of visitors in a mocking tone.”
Man, this is so freakin' cool I'm speechless. I can see where my DCC campaign will be focused.

Thanks for the sneak peak, very appreciated.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Cozette
A Les Mis, fan I see. :)
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

A Les Mis, fan I see.
I am agog! I am aghast! Not sure why you would say such a thing. :wink:
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

<- Is listening to "Master of the House" as we speak"

:)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Sorry I couldn't pull a larger clip to demonstrate the Isles' relation to the South and Northlands, but a sea dog with a hook for a hand ran off with the rest of the map.

//H

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks to Harley, Jeff, and Joe for the constant updates and tidbits that are posted here.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Renshai wrote:Thanks to Harley, Jeff, and Joe for the constant updates and tidbits that are posted here.
I second this, the Known Realms just keep sounding better and better.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”