Gods of Áereth

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Gods of Áereth

Post by wyrmwood »

Howdy,

I am startiing a new campaign in this wonerful world, but as I am currently financially challenged I cannot afford the really cool box-set.....yet. So I am wondering; is there anywhere I cna find info on the Gods? I need my group to choose their deity and I don't want to have to make them choose a 'standard' D&D God then switch over.

Thank you for all your help. I am really excited to start playing these classic-style adventures.

--Wyrmwood
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Hey, Wyrmwood. You don't have the boxed set yet, but you're thinking you probably will at some point? I know a thing or two about the gods of Áereth (kudos to you for including the accent mark in the Subject of this threat)...

We can't really go listing all too much information straight from the books, but maybe we can still help. Perhaps if you tell me what types of gods your group would be interested in (or what types of characters they have: class, alignment, etc.), I could make some suggestions for you. Just to hold you off for the real thing.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by wyrmwood »

Thank you for your help. To start out wiht we will simply have a neutral human Sorcerer, a good human cleric, and neutral Dwarf Fighter, a good Elf Fighter (ranged weapons). So nothing too exciting or challenging for now.

I appreciate your willing to work with me; just goes to show what an awesome company you guys are running. Keep up the good work.

--Wyrmwood
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Happy to help, Wyrmwood. Do you think the non-cleric would revere any gods? There's plenty to work with for elves, dwarves, and even sorcerers.

As for the human cleric—gosh, that could go any direction. Any personality inclination to talk of? Any leaning toward law or chaos...justice, vengeance? Sunlight? See, there's plenty to work with! Maybe I can give you some ideas.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by wyrmwood »

I know the Sorcerer wants to develop some Dragon inherited traits so maybe something along those lines. The Dwarf I believe definately would revere some Dwarven Deity..just not completly devoted to any God's whim. I believe the person playing the Elf was really atracted to the 'Moon Elves' from some other setting of which I'm not familiar so I was hoping something like that would accomodate her plans. But the Cleric, you're right, he is a tricky one. The guy who is playing him always plays goofball/trixter characters; that is to say he is obediant but somehow manages to misuse his granted powers much to the irk of his deity. Which is fun for me to decide of ways to 'punish' him.....

Anyway I hope this helps. I really appreciate your time and attention.

--Wyrmwood
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

In Áereth, with the exception of some demigods, there aren't really any gods of specific races as there are in, say, the Forgotten Realms. Instead, gods represent different morals and ideals. The races who follow those ideals tend to worship the appropriate deities. With that said, here are some suggestions:
The Dwarf I believe definately would revere some Dwarven Deity
Daenthar (dane-thar), the Hallowed Forge, is a god that many dwarves and blacksmiths revere, since he's all about drawing tools (of war, commerce, creation, etc.) from the earth. But he's also a deity of vows and trust, so he's Lawful Good. He wouldn't necessarily demand too much from his followers—mostly honesty and hard work.
I believe the person playing the Elf was really atracted to the 'Moon Elves' from some other setting of which I'm not familiar so I was hoping something like that would accomodate her plans
Moon elves, eh?

Well, the goddess Ireth, the Starmistress, is a deity of the night sky, woodlands, and magic itself. As many elves do revere her, it would probably be fitting for your moon elf (or gray elf, in standard D&D canon). She's Chaotic Good.

More soon...
wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by wyrmwood »

Thanks, that is a great start. And the more I see of this 'world' the more I like it.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Wyrmwood,

For the cleric, you have to decide whether you want a god that jibes with trickster types or a straight-laced deity who merely tolerates them. If you want a god happy to indulge his antics, you can't go wrong with:

Poderon, the Delver. An earth god levity, commerce, and merriment. Many gnomes worship him because their creation was inspired by him, but mostly because his temperment matches theirs perfectly. He has a fun side not shared by Daenthar.

Other contenders could be Myna (goddess of fortune, the good and the bad), Olidyra (goddess of travel and adventure), and Neshti (goddess of trickery and vigilantism).

Also, you might find these useful for more information. Two older threads.

DCC World thread. It's a lot of pages to go through, but there's plenty about gods talked about in there, as well as a ton more. http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=746

DCC Pantheon. This one has deity-specific information and it's a lot smaller a thread.
http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

That said, I'd recommend using the sticky DCC#35 thread for any Áerethian discussion. :)
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1085[/url]
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

thanks for taking all the time to answer these questions, mr. lasala. it's much appreciated by us goodman serfs.

but, were you ever able to get around to:

[joke]
-what are primary villains in whiterock?
-sinister secret of white rock - were you able to upload the maps?
-the back story for white rock, are you still going to release that this week?
-whiterock handouts - how early will these be available?
[/joke]

:roll: :roll: :roll:

.....i know, i know, but you can't blame a guy for trying. :twisted:
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Warduke wrote: [joke]
-what are primary villains in whiterock?
-sinister secret of white rock - were you able to upload the maps?
-the back story for white rock, are you still going to release that this week?
-whiterock handouts - how early will these be available?
[/joke]

:roll: :roll: :roll:

.....i know, i know, but you can't blame a guy for trying. :twisted:
Shame, Warduke. Such foolishness internet rumors are born of.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

what are primary villains in whiterock?

One or more beings who are opposed to the protagonists.
sinister secret of white rock - were you able to upload the maps?
All maps are secured in an undisclosed location.
the back story for white rock, are you still going to release that this week?
First rule about Whiterock. There is no talking about Whiterock.
whiterock handouts - how early will these be available
See the first rule about Whiterock.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Gods of Áereth

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

wyrmwood wrote:Howdy,

I am startiing a new campaign in this wonerful world, but as I am currently financially challenged I cannot afford the really cool box-set.....yet.
Wyrm,

The PDF is worth checking out for the $$$, and if you are image savy, it's actually nice to have the maps broken up into smaller chunks (unless you have an entire wall to devote to hanging the maps ... some folks do and it is pretty darn cool, if you ask me).
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote: Shame, Warduke. Such foolishness internet rumors are born of.
:P at least jeff will speak to me. i'm on the inside! 8)
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”