DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

PlagueLord
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by PlagueLord »

Will this be released as a pdf first?
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks for the preview! You really don't want me to get any work done today :(
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jason.richardson wrote: So I make a pot of coffee and print this out. I read it. I read it again.

This has to be the coolest world history I've ever read. It has to be the only fantasy/D&D world history that keeps the game in mind.

Freakin' awesome. I can't get my hands on this boxed set fast enough.
Glad it made the grade. FYI, this is ancient history, stuff not necessarily known to the PCs, to be changed at the GMs' whim. Players that metagame this material deserve to get smacked down. :twisted:

A crude record of the "modern" age appears in the Gaz., documenting the events from the sinking of Lirea to the present.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

PlagueLord wrote:Will this be released as a pdf first?
I second that question. When can we expect a PDF release. I have pdf and hard copies of the Dungeon Crawls, so I don't see a reason why I wouldn't do the same with the setting.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Thanks for the kind words, Jason. Very flattering indeed for all of us.

How cool is that artwork!?? :D
A crude record of the "modern" age appears in the Gaz., documenting the events from the sinking of Lirea to the present.
Indeed! This ancient history stuff is good fluff, but the "modern" human-centric era will be more applicable to the game, particularly those who opt to set their campaigns in the Northlands.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I just fnished my first read. And wow... just wow. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but this exceeds those expectations. I love the art, the layout and the graphics.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Jason. Very flattering indeed for all of us.

How cool is that artwork!?? :D
Indeed! This ancient history stuff is good fluff, but the "modern" human-centric era will be more applicable to the game, particularly those who opt to set their campaigns in the Northlands.
You're welcome Jeff. Great artwork, very appropriate.

So, has there been (or will there be) a DCC adventure that takes the characters in search of the Vault of the Dragon Kings?

Damn, that rocks. Just saying it out loud, "Vault of the Dragon Kings", makes my mind reel with adventure ideas!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Wouldn't that be DCC30: Vault of the Dragon Kings?
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Ding ding ding! Vault of the Dragon Kings, last year's GenCon tournament module. The backstory of that module certainly helped define the creation myths of Áereth.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote:Wouldn't that be DCC30: Vault of the Dragon Kings?
Well holy crap. I should mention that I don't own any DCCs except Aerie of the Crow God. I prefer to write my own adventures. I can see I will more than likely start buying DCCs after I have the campaign setting if for nothing but ideas to use and branch out into my own creations.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Ah, that explains it. At first I thought you were joking. ;)

Even if you do write your adventures, I'd suggest picking up the DCCs. I've stolen alot of ideas/puzzles and monsters from them already.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

For the record, there is nothing cooler than a potential fan saying, "This idea rocks!" and then being able to hand over an adventure of the very same idea. :)

So Jason, when are you going to pitch some of your home adventures our way? :twisted:

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

And that applies to all of you homebrew GMs. We're always looking for great dungeon designers.

Edit:
Renshai wrote:Hopefully sooner rather than later. Would someone with the Boxed Set care to point out where Into the Wilds is located on the Known Realms World Maps.
The Wilds are just a bit north of the map JG posted, at #28.

//H

Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Thanks for the peak, looks good.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
someguyfromohio
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by someguyfromohio »

I’ve been gone for a while (hiding in a cave with my GenCon copy of DCC#35) and just let me reassure those of you still anxiously waiting, that you will not be disappointed. There is so much there that it’s difficult to become the setting expert that I am trying to become. :D
How we doing? Same as always. That bad, huh?
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Hmmm... There is a pattern to the gods and most of them were designed to fit this overarching scheme, if that's what you're asking. There is an established pantheon (and many of the gods were taken from pre-existing DCCs to fill it), but there are also numerous demigods who don't fit into the scheme as neatly because demigods are, by definition, not true gods in the standard sense.
I read the preview, which does indeed suggest a reasonably unified pantheon (at least initially :) ).

EDIT - Whoops, forgot to add more to this sentence :) What I meant was, it seems like things were "unified" initially, but over time, with vast distances separating cultures, the pantheons developed in their own ways.

The preview is pretty neat, btw. I really like the Naga and Sphinx kingdoms - they have a real sword and sorcery feel.
Last edited by Nahat Anoj on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

jason.richardson wrote:
Well holy crap. I should mention that I don't own any DCCs except Aerie of the Crow God. I prefer to write my own adventures. I can see I will more than likely start buying DCCs after I have the campaign setting if for nothing but ideas to use and branch out into my own creations.

Isn't that what all modules are for? Plus to save you from creating NPC's and maps?
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:For the record, there is nothing cooler than a potential fan saying, "This idea rocks!" and then being able to hand over an adventure of the very same idea. :)

So Jason, when are you going to pitch some of your home adventures our way? :twisted:

//H
Well, I've never given that much thought, until you just asked me. I love writing and creating. When I find myself in periods where I can't locate players, I spend my "gaming" time writing plots and adventures.

Are there guidelines for what you guys are looking for? I'm sure just reading a couple DCC can show any writer what type of adventure you're after.

I've always considered my adventure writing and world creating a hobby, never something that I'd do for money. Ha, in a way it is my attempt to justify the money I spent at college for a BA in English Literature.

Thanks for the suggestion Harley. I think I'll give it a shot.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Treebore wrote:
jason.richardson wrote:

Isn't that what all modules are for? Plus to save you from creating NPC's and maps?
You make a good point. That IS what modules are for. I especially agree with using published adventurers to avoid the prep time required to make NPCs with the current edition of D&D. Damn you Wizards of the Coast.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

By the way, the cover graphics for the books within the set (one of which can be seen in the free preview) are also made by Jeremy Simmons. They are meritorious! Take a bow, Topographic Rex!

I just love that grey-green color scheme.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

You make a good point. That IS what modules are for. I especially agree with using published adventurers to avoid the prep time required to make NPCs with the current edition of D&D. Damn you Wizards of the Coast.

Don't I know it. The very thought of creating stat blocks is the reason I run modified pre-canned modules. Its not for lack of creativity or even time. Its just that when I sit down to stat something out my eyes glaze over and I suddenly find myself playing Civ 4 instead :shock:
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote:

Don't I know it. The very thought of creating stat blocks is the reason I run modified pre-canned modules. Its not for lack of creativity or even time. Its just that when I sit down to stat something out my eyes glaze over and I suddenly find myself playing Civ 4 instead :shock:
Haha, you are quite right. For example, in my next session the characters will be trying to free a city from a pirate attack. The main villain is Captain Gore, a minotaur pirate (peg-leg and all). Anyway, I need to generate his stats. My players are average 11th level right now, so it will take a few hours to get this guy right. He'll be a minotaur fighter7/rogue5.

I firmly believe that no adventure is complete without a pirate.....even if that pirate does noting more than walk by as the characters walk the street.

Anyway, I'm derailing the topic of this post. Sorry about that.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I'd like to think there are some pretty memorable pirate NPCs in DCC#35, too, Jason. In fact, there's a sort of pirate haven that Captain Gore could well have come from!
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Jeff LaSala wrote:I'd like to think there are some pretty memorable pirate NPCs in DCC#35, too, Jason. In fact, there's a sort of pirate haven that Captain Gore could well have come from!
You know, it is no longer required to drop teasers and hints any longer. As soon as this box is within arms reach of me it will be mine.

At this point, I'd even buy the damned thing if you guys had Dr. Phil as the "Lord Voldemort" of the setting or Tom Cruise as the mad sorcerer bent on over throwing the world's religions and replacing them all with a wacky space-alien religion. In other words, I'm hooked completely.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Dr. Phil as the "Lord Voldemort" of the setting or Tom Cruise as the mad sorcerer bent on over throwing the world's religions and replacing them all with a wacky space-alien religion.
I just spit coca-cola all over my keyboard! :P

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”