DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

powerboy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by powerboy »

I am very excited about this setting. I am new to the DCC series and am loving it so far. I have missed playing fun old-school style adventures more than I knew.

I am definitely going to pickup the printed boxed set, but will there be a PDF version as well? or at least some downloadable world/region maps?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Omote wrote:The laminating machines at CopyMax (OfficeMax) are just big enough to laminate properly (with 2 inches to spare!). I advise making sure the person at the controls of the laminating machine appears competant enough not to screw up your bust-ass, and extremely expensive maps.
Wow...very cool.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

powerboy wrote:I am definitely going to pickup the printed boxed set, but will there be a PDF version as well? or at least some downloadable world/region maps?
There will probably be a PDF version of the boxed set. Components definitely. I'm still trying to figure out a way to PDF the maps. One big PDF for each map will be an enormous file and will be hard to print. Any suggestions?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
powerboy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by powerboy »

goodmangames wrote:
powerboy wrote:I am definitely going to pickup the printed boxed set, but will there be a PDF version as well? or at least some downloadable world/region maps?
There will probably be a PDF version of the boxed set. Components definitely. I'm still trying to figure out a way to PDF the maps. One big PDF for each map will be an enormous file and will be hard to print. Any suggestions?
Well, you can always split it up into high quality, smaller regional maps with a single page world map overview. Kind of like how an Atlas is. Make the big giant fold out map a Boxed Set exclusive.

Just my $0.02
someguyfromohio
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by someguyfromohio »

Now that's some news I have been looking forward to. Beautiful maps, but a 6 foot pain to unfold and look for a location I am reading about. :)
How we doing? Same as always. That bad, huh?
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Well, I failed my wisdom check I guess. I was heading to my FLGS where the owner always brings back stuff early from GenCon. So, I pre-ordered Rappan Athuk Reloaded through them and I went to pick it up yesterday. As I went to pay for it , he mentions that he got #35 Known World because I had asked for it. Anyways, long story short, it's sitting in front of me right now and the maps are very nice and the setting is very cool.

It does remind me of Greyhawk with a little Hackmaster attitude thrown in. I really like the new crunch in it too. (surprising, becasue I only stay to the core rules for 3.5) But some of the infernal feats are just too cool/funny. Anyways I'm playing through the first 0-level module with my son DMing for us and it's been great so far. he's claimed the setting and I know it's going to be a hit with his friends his age. (12)

One question about 0-level characters. When you get to 1st level, do you stack the class level with the NPC and become effectively a 2nd level character? I guess we are a little confused because a Wizard would actually lose hit points going from an adept. I think you are supposed to keep your stats but the take a class level and ignore your NPC class. (like Orcs do?)

Great setting and I love the fluff. It was a cool read. I get to DM Ptolus and RAR and I get to play in Castle Zagyg and DCC's. The world is finally right in RPG land once again.

Cheers,

Blue

ps- A one page overview map to follow along as you read would be great!
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Thanks for the post, Blustar. (I can see it's your first!) Glad you're liking it so far!

Incidently, I found a few threads started up over at Enworld with another positive review.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=171822
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=171610
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Blustar wrote:One question about 0-level characters. When you get to 1st level, do you stack the class level with the NPC and become effectively a 2nd level character? I guess we are a little confused because a Wizard would actually lose hit points going from an adept. I think you are supposed to keep your stats but the take a class level and ignore your NPC class. (like Orcs do?)
The NPC classes are intended to stack, but without any of the penalties of the "second class" rules as applied to xp, etc.

The PCs we used for the module at GenCon were statted out at -1000 xp; once they acquired 1000 xp (coming to "0"), they gain a level in a PC class, as per the usual rules, and continue to advance as if they had only one level in one class.

So your adept would gain additional wizard hp (and retain the ability to cast adept spells – handy in a pinch).

Effectively, your "second level" 1st-level party will be considerably stronger than their peers ...

... but, IMHO, that's entirely deserved for sucessfuly adventuring as peasants armed with lice-ridden armor, rusty daggers and the like. :twisted:

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

I never liked the rapid advancement in 3E, so if I was starting with NPC classes, I would treat them as normal classes, when they reached 2nd level then they would add a normal class.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Thanks for the post, Blustar. (I can see it's your first!) Glad you're liking it so far!

Incidently, I found a few threads started up over at Enworld with another positive review.

Thanks for the links. A Very good review, makes me even happier that I have this on order at FLGS. I just hope it lives up to all the hype I keep hearing about it, so far it sound perfect.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

WIll future DCC modules be place in DCC world, either in what is already in the box set, or as possible expansions to the core setting?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

All DCCs will be set in the world, but the world will never be necessary to play a DCC. People that want to use Áereth will know where the dungeons belong, but people using other settings still won't have to deal with a lot of backstory or weird setting issues.

//H

Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Best way to go IMHO.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Delete double post
Last edited by Treebore on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Thanks for the post, Blustar. (I can see it's your first!) Glad you're liking it so far!

Yes, and I am a main poster in those threads over there on ENWorld. I'm here to start talking shop about this setting. So who else has it? Lets start comparing notes and inspiring each other with ideas.

BTW, this setting is very good. I like that the dwarves are not a dying race. I like that so many lizard races are prominant. I like how Harley Stroh tied the DCC's into so many other DCC's, plus his "Thief Lord's" DCC will make Grimtooth proud!

I like the "0" level rules in the back of the DM guide. I like the suggested adventure path. I like that the "King of the Mountain" is an evil dwarf who uses orcs in his armies (as shock troop cannon fodder I am sure).

Tacojohn, keep converting these to C&C!

Lots of cool stuff to talk about!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Tree,

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in.

Thanks, too, for noticing the dwarves. That was a big one for me, written before much of Áereth existed. I can still remember sitting in Jeff’s apartment in NY, reading aloud the passage, editing and expanding as I read.

I’m not a big dwarf guy, but something about these dwarves is different. Makes me sit on the edge of my seat and orate way too loud. They need a Dungeon Crawl soon.

And finally, thanks, for firing up the discussion. Always feel welcome to hit Jeff, Mike and I for questions.

Many adventures in Áereth,
//H

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I picked up the boxed set at gencon. Very cool stuff. I'm planning on running an all mercenary campaign set in the Holdfast.

PCs will begin working for the dawrves, manning the walls and fighting off attacks from the scourge. They'll be sent on missions deep into the mines to fend off attacks from the underdeep, and then as they advance they'll be sent on missions out into the scouge, raids and recon sort of thing.

At some point they'll "awarded" them with a small holding in the old duchy, that they get to defend against scourge forces, as well as from political machinations from the old duchy rulers who want to retake the land that the PCs sucessfully recolonized. Oh, and the ruin knights. Very cool

Eventually would be fun to have the PCs lead a joint army of their old dwarf allies and new forces of their own against the scourge lords. Hope to have a massive, pingpong table battle for that one, the climax of the campaign.....

....if the PCs make it that far.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Will do Harley1

Death Ray,

thats a good campaign idea!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Haven't gotten the boxed set yet. Dying for September. Between now and then I need to live vicariously through your games. What kind of campaign are your going to run Treebore?
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Right now I am using Erde. Once I get done with this campaign I just might use the "Known World". Considering putting this setting in Erde and doing some continent hopping.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:I picked up the boxed set at gencon. Very cool stuff. I'm planning on running an all mercenary campaign set in the Holdfast.

PCs will begin working for the dawrves, manning the walls and fighting off attacks from the scourge. They'll be sent on missions deep into the mines to fend off attacks from the underdeep, and then as they advance they'll be sent on missions out into the scouge, raids and recon sort of thing.

At some point they'll "awarded" them with a small holding in the old duchy, that they get to defend against scourge forces, as well as from political machinations from the old duchy rulers who want to retake the land that the PCs sucessfully recolonized. Oh, and the ruin knights. Very cool

Eventually would be fun to have the PCs lead a joint army of their old dwarf allies and new forces of their own against the scourge lords. Hope to have a massive, pingpong table battle for that one, the climax of the campaign.....

....if the PCs make it that far.
Sounds like a very good campaign.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Warduke wrote:Haven't gotten the boxed set yet. Dying for September. Between now and then I need to live vicariously through your games. What kind of campaign are your going to run Treebore?
I'm in the same boat, so I keep checking threads ike this for all the little tidbits of info. So far Everything sound great. I have yet to hear anything negative about the setting.
Animus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Animus »

Any more word on DCC World being available as one or multiple pdfs?
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Animus wrote:Any more word on DCC World being available as one or multiple pdfs?
Oh man! If GG could release the pdfs now, and then we can buy the box set later, that would rock!

I love having electronic versions of my gaming materials, but pdf or no, I still want those big maps and the box set. :)
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

The more I read, and then re-read the more I like this thing. I reads to me like a lot of things were pulled from many other sources and reinvented, but in a very good way.

Like when i read through the gods I "see" a lot of litle things that remind me of the Faerunian deities. Then others read like out right personal interpretations of "classic" gods, then others remind me of the Greyhawk pantheon, but all with little twists to make them very different. A couple of things made me wonder if Kingdoms of Kalamar deities were used for basic inspiration.

Don't get me wrong, I like this. Especially since I am looking for a series of "small" settings (aren't whole worlds, but large regions or a continent) so I can put them all together into a cohesive world. So similarities with FR and GH gods will actually help with cohesion if I ever do put this world together, using FR, GH, and now the known world. Plus Erde. Wilderlands.

I could even have this area of heavily enshrouded mists that are rumoured to enclose a strange, dark, and evil "world" called Ravenloft.

Anyways, I see DCC 35 as another huge step towards my goal of having all these settings in a single world.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”