DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

@bobrunnicles: I agree with your suggestion - it would be a very nice thing. Although I must point out that most "player" guides do contain a fair amount of "no need to know" stuff about a world. Take the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands (I love the setting) - it contains a secret world history that player's simply aren't meant to know!

So, if you follow the suggestion and plan to do a PG to Aereth, then please: fill it with PLAYER stuff only!!! :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Jeff LaSala wrote:I can only speculate, but I don't think there will be plans for future supplements until it is known how the campaign setting is received. If fans want more..well then, by all means bombard Harley Stroh and Joseph Goodman with demands. :D
Already planning on it :)
Even if there wasn't going to be a such a book, if Joseph makes a pdf available, you could probably just extract choice pages from the Gazetteer of DCC #35 and let your players read that. It pretty much is the player's guide to Áereth. Most GM secrets are in the other book within. The boxed set benefits everyone.
I normally buy the pdfs of any DCC I want to run (as well as the hardcopy for reference purposes) but with a $70 boxed set the pdfs (if they are going to exist) would probably run what? $30? Maybe if you get separate pdfs for each book that would work though....

{QUOTE]
(but not the Realms, go figure)
Actually, there is such a guide for the Realms: http://tinyurl.com/pmaxk :)[/quote]

I meant readily affordable - while I love the WotC Realms books $33 per player might be seen as a little steep (although I guess I could buy a 'group' copy for the table)....when all I really want is to be able to hand them a gazetteer type of thing (the Scarred Lands gazetteers are excellent for this, running what? $10 for a hardcopy? $6 for the pdf?) to look over. You know the kind of thing I mean?
someguyfromohio
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by someguyfromohio »

O.K., I have had enough. I have been lurking in these parts since the original Rat King was released and being old school (I have never had that same giddy feeling I had, when I purchased the original Greyhawk box set all those years ago), I have liked every DCC I have bought. Now, Aereth shows up and I am hooked without even seeing the product. I have now decided to go to GenCon mostly for the box set and I don’t even have a game currently running. It’s not that far (only a little over 100 miles), but try explaining that to my (non-gaming) wife. Curse you Goodman Games!
Now, that I got that out of my system, a question if I could (please ignore my earlier cursing of you :wink: ). Will a smaller version on the world map be made available after release, letter size perhaps? Poster maps are nice, but can be impractical at a smaller gaming table when you have to pull out and unfold to show a player a location. And Renshai, if you are reading, I would love to have a copy of your CC2 map after you are finished with it.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Speaking of having had enough, I'm going to have to put my money where my mouth is. (Moderators: If this message is out-of-bounds, please delete it).

If anyone going to GenCon is planning on picking up a copy of "Known Realms", grab one for me too and I will happily reimburse you for the set and any shipping. There! I've posted it publically, now if I don't follow through on my part of the deal, everyone will know. ;)

PM me if you'd be willing to do this. Thanks!
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

In terms of Players Guides, it's hard to beat the one for Ptolus: A pack of five of them sells for something like $10 at the FLGS, meaning everyone can get one cheaply. It's 16 pages or so, with basic maps and major landmarks, a rundown on the major religion and how to make a character in the setting (and information about the major races), but no other game stats, including how to play the new (and very optional) races.

It's even free to download from DriveThruRPG.

Obviously, it's in large part a marketing tool, but it's one I think other publishers should consider emulating.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Well darnit! I was hoping Amazon.com would sell the boxed set at a discounted price like everything else they sell, but no, $69.99.

I guess I'll have to wait and hope for a used copy to show up after the release. Maybe one of the discount used booksellers on Amazon.com will have some.

Fingers crossed.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

jason.richardson wrote:Well darnit! I was hoping Amazon.com would sell the boxed set at a discounted price like everything else they sell, but no, $69.99.

I guess I'll have to wait and hope for a used copy to show up after the release. Maybe one of the discount used booksellers on Amazon.com will have some.

Fingers crossed.
I was hoping to use amazon as well, but looks like I'll have to pay full price and pre-order this at my FLGS. Either way I plan on getting this ASAP.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Maliki wrote:
jason.richardson wrote:Well darnit! I was hoping Amazon.com would sell the boxed set at a discounted price like everything else they sell, but no, $69.99.

Fingers crossed.
I was hoping to use amazon as well, but looks like I'll have to pay full price and pre-order this at my FLGS. Either way I plan on getting this ASAP.
Yeah, I was planning on paying full price too and getting this as soon as it was released.

However, money is an issue and I can't afford to pay $70. :cry:
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

As soon as I heard about DCC World (and the price) I started saving a little here and there. $70+ puts a big dent in my budget as well, I'm just glad I had some advance warning on this so I had time to prepare.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

$70+ puts a big dent in my budget as well, I'm just glad I had some advance warning on this so I had time to prepare.
Same here! Well, I do sincerely hope that you guys at Goodman Games can assure me that every one of those 70 dollars is a dollar well spent! :wink:
(Of course, being from Germany I will pay in Euros, and if I get lucky, it will be a little bit less than 70.) :P
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
someguyfromohio
Far-Sighted Wanderer

My money is in hand and eagery waiting to be spent. Now the question is "How fast will they sell out at GenCon?"
How we doing? Same as always. That bad, huh?
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Smart money says: "Supa-fast!"
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
toper
Far-Sighted Wanderer

How fast will they sell out?

Post by toper »

How fast will the Box Set sell out at GenCon?

If you wanna get a copy in August and not wait, I suggest getting to GenCon in the first couple of days. I know Joseph will get as many copies as he can, but since all of us involved in the project have been told that we might not get contributor copies until later, it sounds like Joseph plans on selling out fast! I don't doubt it, either.

As to whether it's worth the price, well of course I'm gonna be a bit biased having worked so hard on it, but I think I can safely say you won't be disappointed one bit. The maps I labored on for so long are just icing on an already awesome cake, believe me. 8)

I can't wait to see the feeding frenzy on day 1 when the doors open and GG's booth gets swamped. Keep your hands inside the cart, kids...INSIDE the cart, or you might lose 'em.

See you there.
-Jeremy Simmons "TOPOGRAPHIC REX"

www.dungeonartist.com

www.fourtowersdesign.net

God Save the Penguins
someguyfromohio
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Way off of the current topic, but is there a current year in the Know World setting?
How we doing? Same as always. That bad, huh?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

3200 EC, give or take, depending on your reckoning.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Omote
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: How fast will they sell out?

Post by Omote »

toper wrote:How fast will the Box Set sell out at GenCon?
I can tell you that ouce our RPG groups gets to exibit hall, 3 of those badboys will be claimed! Gosh, I hope I get their soon enough.

........................................Omote
FPQ
Visit the FPQ!!!
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Castles & Crusades Society
"VAE VICTUS!"
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

3200 EC, give or take
EC = Empyrean Calendar (or Eldritch Coalition, depending on who you ask...)
I can tell you that once our RPG groups gets to exibit hall, 3 of those badboys will be claimed!
Don't forget to stop by the booth between 2pm on Thursday so you can praise and/or berate the design team. And then again on Saturday at 3pm to exalt the esteemed Topographic Rex for bequeathing his maps upon the world.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Or 3675 by the Southlands calendar.
Jeff LaSala wrote: Don't forget to stop by the booth between 2pm on Thursday so you can praise and/or berate the design team. And then again on Saturday at 3pm to exalt the esteemed Topographic Rex for bequeathing his maps upon the world.
Off topic, but not really: I'm going over one of the adventures included in the DCC World boxed set in prep for the games I'm running at GenCon. Jeremy did an awesome job (again!) on the maps. Dying never looked so good.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Dying never looked so good.
Dungeon Crawl Classics. Kill Your PCs With Style.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Jeff LaSala wrote:
Dying never looked so good.
Dungeon Crawl Classics. Kill Your PCs With Style.
:lol:
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Harley,

Are we still on for me to Paypal you for the set so I don't miss it? I must have you and Joe autograph my copy!!!!!!

The Superfan demands it!!!!! :D :D :D

Your devoted map lackey
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC Known Realms... at Gen Con

Post by tacojohn4547 »

PSSSST... Hey you, Superfan:

If your buddy Harley can't fix you up, you let me know and I'll pick up a boxed set for you. I'm already going to be sending you a brown wrapped package after the con... remember? You know, with the [Edited out due to security clearance violation].

Hahahaha

tacojohn4547
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Superfan,

Sure thing. But send me an email reminder Wed/Thurs, as things are bound to get pretty hectic. :) Between me and Taco, we'll get 'er done.

//H

Omote
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Omote »

Jeff LaSala wrote:
I can tell you that once our RPG groups gets to exibit hall, 3 of those badboys will be claimed!
Don't forget to stop by the booth between 2pm on Thursday so you can praise and/or berate the design team. And then again on Saturday at 3pm to exalt the esteemed Topographic Rex for bequeathing his maps upon the world.
Berating authors... hmm, I'm so there. J/K... looking forward to tearing into a box set and looking over the maps right away. :D

...........................................Omote
FPQ
Visit the FPQ!!!
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Castles & Crusades Society
"VAE VICTUS!"
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Work has kept away from here the last couple of weeks, but before everyone leaves for GenCon I just wanted to say good luck with DCC World sales!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”