DCC D&D Version 3.0 or 3.5?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC D&D Version 3.0 or 3.5?

Post by wyrmwood »

Hello all!

I'm new here, but I have a question.

I used to play D&D back when 3E first came out and since time, inevitably, marches on I've missed the boat for the 3.5 upgrade. So what I'm wonderin' is what 'system' does these nifty DCC use? I'm in absolute love with the concept, execution, and design of these modules and would love to re-visit the good ol' days. However being financially challenged I won't be able to upgrade to 3.5 for a little while.

Anyway thank you all for looking.

--Wyrmwood
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Almost all of the DCCs are D&D 3.5 format.

The original prints of the first few DCCs (1, 2, and 3 - might be a few after that as well, not 100% sure) were originally printed for 3.0. Later printings of these adventures were converted to 3.5.

If you want to try out a D&D 3.0 DCC, I think your best bet would be to try and locate a first print copy of DCC#1 - Idylls of the Rat King on eBay or another online site (or maybe even from fans on these boards!). You won't be disappointed - I think that "Rat King" is one of the best DCCs ever printed.

Hope this helps!

Mike
wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by wyrmwood »

Thanks, that what I thought. But the more I see of these adventures the more I like. So I guess I'll have to start getting the 'core books'. Which is alright also......

But I still will try to get that book on Ebay, just until I can scrounge up some cash.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

The rules aren't so different. You could always just use the old books and crib monster changes off of the SRD. But since all the DCCs list stats (thank you Goodman Games!), you don't even NEED to have the 3.5 monster manual to run a DCC.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

What he said. The changes are not crippling. You can run a 3.5 module using 3.0 rules with minor (on the fly) corrections and changes.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”