DCC #17.5 War of the Witch Queen

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

DCC #17.5 War of the Witch Queen

Post by JediOre »

Another wonderful Dungeon Crawl.

Kudos to the author Harley Stroh for what will be a fun time for DMs and players.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

!!!

It there an emoticon for delight + envy? :) My copy is still taking its time in the mail, so I'm dying with questions.

How did the player handouts come out? Are the cards okay?

//H is SO buying JediOre a thousand lemonades
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

To be honest, the cards could have been done better. They are 'mini-cards' that have to have the backs pasted onto the fronts. I'm sure printing them as card stock would have added to the price of the adventure, but I don't know how much.

Even having them at regular playing card size would have been an improvment. None-the-less, it doesn't really detract from the adventure. It could have added greatly but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

The encounter where the cards comes into play is very well done. It is spooky and adds to the overall atmosphere. I also enjoy the sorcerer's special role in this module. It is an under played class.

Anytime bugbears, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, or kobolds can be used in an adventure they should. I'm happy one of these "stock" monsters are ready to fight the PCs.

The staff is a slick magic item as is the crown. Excellent way to introduce an area for the PCs to retire to as they climb in levels. I can see a retiring wizard/sorcerer wishing to build their stronghold in this location for the benfits of the crown.

I'm very impressed with the adventure. The art is "old-school" as DCCs should be.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I appreciate your honest appraisal. Maybe I can get one of my image-monkey friends to scan the images and bring them up to a full, double-sided format.

If it is okay with the big man in Chicago, I’ll host the pdfs for download, so that GMs can use full-sized cards in their games. It’s just too fun of an encounter to run any other way, in my rabid design-monkey opinion. :)

Thanks for buying the module. Your opinion means a ton to me. :)

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
rockrattled
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by rockrattled »

When is this coming out in PDF? My players are absolutely eating up Savage Kings.
That's just the way I role baby... that's just the way I role...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Rock,

I'm glad your players are enjoying it. :)

How did the first encounter go? In my home games I always love to start a session by shouting "Roll for initiative!" but that doesn't work for all groups.

As for the PDF release, electronic and print versions are released at the same time so it shouldn't be more than a few days before the PDF distros update their catalogs.

That said, I know Goodman is going to be crazy busy next week with conventions so it might be a week or two before the PDF shows up.

rockrattled
Ill-Fated Peasant

How to put this delicately...

Post by rockrattled »

I had built up the scenario for the campaign we are in, and set the stage for them to do ,"a little scouting." They had just enough time to take in the "half" rider being drug by the horse when they looked up to gaze upon the blighted Stygoth. :shock:

I believe the direct quote was, "What the F@*! dude!?! We're only second level!"
That's just the way I role baby... that's just the way I role...
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'm happy to have laid down the cash for this module. It was well worth it.

I waited for it to arrive in my mailbox & I read it front to back the very day it came.

Congrats again for a job well done. Your modules are upholding the DCC line very well.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I guess I should avoid spoilers here...

War of the Witch Queen is great. Short but all-out fun. I don't know how easy the cards would be to use (cut out, etc.), but they are reminiscent of the original Ravenloft module, too. Creepy and influencing of the adventure's development. Yes, the fortune-teller is great.

The blesses/curses of the cards really add some fun flavoring mechanics, and aside from imaginative encounters and layout and an overall eerie mood, there's a bunch of cool little odd mechanics in various rooms. Even with the basic linear design (like most modules) there's some great variables that can mix things up. Oh, and for added fun, have a sorcerer in your group... :wink:

As has been said, the Staff is a neat variable in itself.

The adventure starts off with a nice kick to the hindquarters, too! :D

Go get this module! Go to the Wastes of Zamon!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: How to put this delicately...

Post by Harley Stroh »

rockrattled wrote:I believe the direct quote was, "What the F@*! dude!?! We're only second level!"
:D :D :D :D

My life's work is complete.

Jeff LaSala wrote:I don't know how easy the cards would be to use (cut out, etc.), but they are reminiscent of the original Ravenloft module, too. Creepy and influencing of the adventure's development. Yes, the fortune-teller is great.
That's exactly what I was aiming for. I was thinking of you when I wrote that scene. :)

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”