DCC #41 & #042: Whats in them?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

PlagueLord
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC #41 & #042: Whats in them?

Post by PlagueLord »

Considering getting a low level module, anyone have any more information about these two - Location, types of enemies, size
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I'm actually going to be running DCC #42 (Secret of the Stonearm) tomorrow for a group of old friends. If I get the time, I'll start an "Actual Play" thread after the adventure, but in the meantime, this should cover your basic questions:

"Stonearm", in my opinion, is an awesome campaign starter because it's got a mix of everything. The opponents are mostly human thugs, but there's a decent mix of vermin, low-level constructs (written specifically for the adventure), and traps thrown in as well. The adventure begins in the city of Kassantia, but quickly moves to a jungle setting. There's an excellent mix of combat and investigation - and if you favor one over the other, author Luke Johnson provides a whole bunch of optional adventure seeds/ideas to expand on what you like, and minimize what you don't.

I'll probably be running a "remix" of the adventure in that I'm adding in some more encounters in the urban portion of the module, but that's strictly due to personal preference.

It's relatively short (32 pages) - I imagine most groups would be able to finish this up in two sessions, or maybe in one long marathon session. Between the combination of story and combat encounters, though, I think it's terrific, and would be well worth picking up at your local gaming store.

I can't really comment at the moment on DCC #41 - I own it, but I'll admit that I've only skimmed through it, and don't remember off-hand the encounters or the storyline.

Hope this info helps!
Ludyee
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ludyee »

I just finished reading DCC#41 last evening.

It revolves around 2 themes for the most part. Stopping a slave ring thereby saving some abducted commoners/children and recovering holy relics.

DCC#41 is larger than most DCCs as it contains almost 30 pages of "new" monsters. Four of the monsters actually appear in the Fiend Folio and others might be in the Tome of Horrors.

There are 4 cave systems to explore while delving ever deeper into a Rift Canyon. Each has it's "settled" areas and unexplored areas. The main denizens of each layer don't really get along with the others so it's like 4 mini dungeon crawls.

There are numerous opportunities to customize and/or expand the adventure and the author points out many.

One fault however is the just horrid grammatical mistakes. I own a little over half the DCCs and have never experienced one like this. I would estimate that almost every keyed encounter has some mistake from misspelled words to missing words to duplicate words to punctuation errors. I was really surprised as I have not found this to be the case in other DCCs. There are a few map errors also.

The grammar doesn't make it unusable; it just means putting in a little work to fix it up. On the pro side this is a long adventure and there is just a lot to explore with many new monsters players might not be familiar with.

Eric.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”