So, Broncosaurus Rex...is it extinct?

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

TyranosaurusTex
Ill-Fated Peasant

So, Broncosaurus Rex...is it extinct?

Post by TyranosaurusTex »

Just wanted to check in and see how things are going. Doesn't look like there is anything on the horizon for BR. Is the line dead? If so, why? I was still holding out hope for Ice Wars or a Complete Guide to Protoceratops. Anyway, hope this gets a response.
Dinosaurs ruled the earth for over 100 million years, we only have 99,900,000 years to go to match it. God save the world if we make it!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'm still interested in it, but I moved on to focusing on other things (like DragonMech and upcoming Etherscope, plus the DCC's). Honestly, it's weird writing a game for publication... the really fun part is long before it's published, when it's new and fresh. By the time it's published, 1-2 years later, from a creative standpoint I'm often ready for something new. That's how I felt with both DragonMech and Broncosaurus Rex -- the DragonMech book, for example, was published as my home playtest group (which had started up the world) hit its 18th month of playing DragonMech!

BUT, I now have had a "fallow period" on Broncosaurus Rex and I'm starting to dabble in the world again. So, no promises, but I wouldn't call it extinct yet... something more may yet come of that world!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek_Holland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Derek_Holland »

If nothing else, some more complete guides would be nice (maybe to families instead of specific species?)
Lifetime member of the Xerces Society

http://www.xerces.org/home.htm

http://Alternityrpg.net
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Yeah... a "remake" for the D20 MODERN rules would be nice. I love the Bronco World and would like to see it revived! :D
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ChristinaStiles »

Argamae wrote:Yeah... a "remake" for the D20 MODERN rules would be nice. I love the Bronco World and would like to see it revived! :D
I'd like to see this, too!

I am currently running a Broncosaurus Rex/Odyssey Prime Modern d20 campaign, though. Since the characters are travelers there, I haven't run into much problems. Still, it's a cool game, and I'd like to see it updated.
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
joewolz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by joewolz »

I remember when BR was the only product for Goodman Games. It's funny, I've always loved the setting.

I would like to chime in that I too would like to see the game revived.
Co-Host of 2 GMs, 1 Mic.
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

You know what would be kinda neat? Seeing this "re-imagined" as a fantasy setting.

Say, for example, that a parallel Earth developed in a fantasy manner. Elves in Wales, dwarves in Scotland, gnomes in Zurich, etc. Technology advanced slower as there was magic, so the colonial period has wizards and dragons and such. Kinda like Xcrawl, only not so modern.

"North America" is settled, and develops like normal, but South America remains Terra Incognita. The Federal States form and develops along fantasy lines. Europe is lost in chaos and darkness shortly thereafter when a necromantic empire arises under Napoleon. The Confederacy forms when the Federal States goes imperialist.

Then the Second age of Exploration begins, as the Federals and Confederates colonize Africa and South America, the "Lost World" zones, re-discover Darkest Europe, and contact the Dragon Empires of Cathay and Zipango.

Kinda like Broncosaurus, but with more primitive technology and magic.
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

Wow i found these, Cretasus Adventure Guide, and Broncosaurus Rex core, for sale at a bargain price (used/great condition) at our a local gaming store!
Now i must go hide these books under the piled of other used RPG books, until i have some extra spending money. :twisted:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

James Mishler wrote:You know what would be kinda neat? Seeing this "re-imagined" as a fantasy setting.

Say, for example, that a parallel Earth developed in a fantasy manner. Elves in Wales, dwarves in Scotland, gnomes in Zurich, etc. Technology advanced slower as there was magic, so the colonial period has wizards and dragons and such. Kinda like Xcrawl, only not so modern.

"North America" is settled, and develops like normal, but South America remains Terra Incognita. The Federal States form and develops along fantasy lines. Europe is lost in chaos and darkness shortly thereafter when a necromantic empire arises under Napoleon. The Confederacy forms when the Federal States goes imperialist.

Then the Second age of Exploration begins, as the Federals and Confederates colonize Africa and South America, the "Lost World" zones, re-discover Darkest Europe, and contact the Dragon Empires of Cathay and Zipango.

Kinda like Broncosaurus, but with more primitive technology and magic.
Killer! Sounds really cool. Do you know the beautifully illustrated books from James Gurney called "Dinotopia"? They depict a sort of "lost world" (an island, really) where a father and his son strand after a shipwreck. There they discover that humans (other shipwrecked people and their descendants) live together with intelligent dinosaurs that have developed their own culture and traditions. The books are a truly marvelous, phantastic read - lavishly illustrated, and complete with a "dinosaur footprint alphabet"... GREAT!
I always wanted to adapt this as a campaign setting but never got around to do it.
Done so far:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

BUT, I now have had a "fallow period" on Broncosaurus Rex and I'm starting to dabble in the world again. So, no promises, but I wouldn't call it extinct yet... something more may yet come of that world!
So, Mister Goodman - that was over two years ago. What's the news? ;-)
Still interested in B-REX? Is it likely to see something new or something re-published? I still have my hopes up 'cause I love the setting and the way the dinos are portrayed! :)
Done so far:
Devastation Bob
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: So, Broncosaurus Rex...is it extinct?

Post by Devastation Bob »

What about converting it to the Savage Worlds system?
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Devastation Bob wrote:What about converting it to the Savage Worlds system?
I play Savage Worlds, and I think that could work. I've been a fan of BR for a good while, and I would like to see more product for it, too.
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I'd like to see a return of Broncosaurus Rex as well. :)
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Mike_Ferguson wrote:I'd like to see a return of Broncosaurus Rex as well. :)
You've got an in. Talk to the boys!!!

Personally, I'd love to write it. :)
Christina Stiles
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

You've got an in. Talk to the boys!!!

Personally, I'd love to write it. :)
Trust me, I don't have that much clout. :roll:

If I did, this would already be on the shelves of your local game store!

I'd love to write a new version of Broncosaurus Rex as well. :)
Kodyax
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Kodyax »

I know one thing I'd like to see is a book of just the dinosaurs from the Broncosaurus Rex series for the Pathfinder RPG.
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

I would also like BR redone as a Savage Worlds setting.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Maybe, but for some reason the Savage Worlds rules never quite grabbed me. I have several rulebooks and setting books for SW and love the settings but just can't get past the rules. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

I recently picked up Lost Prehistorica from drivethrurpg. I haven't had the time to look through it much but it might be good for a Broncosaurus Rex game. I bought it mainly for the Stegotaur. I like the Zoats from Warhammer 40k (at least when they existed) so more half dinosaur centaurs appeal to me.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Did anyone else pick up the recent Xenozoic book from Flesk Publications? It's a beautifully manufactured compilation of all the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales stories.

(Sorry I don't have an update on Broncosaurus Rex but I do still love dinosaurs and dinosaur-fantasy!)

I was also glad to learn that Schultz is working on another Xenozoic publication. I'm sure it will be a while before it's released but still, it's great to hear that something is in the works.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
trex2251
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by trex2251 »

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

you MUST make an ice age pack and a protoceratops guide

also i cant find the trex and raptor books anywhere, I'm starting to get worried...
trex2251
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by trex2251 »

also you should release a scray pack, a zulep pack, and a stenonychusaurus pack
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

I got Broncosaurus Rex in my Grab Bag, and I have to say it's just screaming for a Savage Worlds conversion. Honestly, the thing that would keep it off my table is my lack of enthusiasm for GMing d20. It's too much prep work, and for a game like BR it's just not a great fit. By that I mean, a game where future cowboys are riding dinosaurs needs to be driven by a set of rules that can veer off into unexpected territory at a moment's notice.

Savage Worlds does that. A SW GM and make and drop in baddies on the fly, and a plot point campaign would be perfect.

Please think about it. :D
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Dark Lord wrote:Please think about it. :D
I'm sure thinking about it is the easy part -- it's the finding someone to write it that is the challenge... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

I'm totally honest when I say I would do it. Not totally for free, mind you, but cheap!
And I do have extensive experience with Savage Worlds, and have converted several settings for personal use. I'm a college graduate with, at least decent communications skills, and I have a a minor game credit or two under my belt already.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpan ... te-warning

I'd be willing to submit any samples needed to prove I'm worth at least consideration.

I have freelanced illustration and design in the past, and I am perfectly fluent in InDesign and can make PDFs.
What I don't have is a lot of time since I work 40 hours a week for the government, and have a family...however, in January I am about to get 4 weeks paid paternity leave. :lol:

And I'd definitely consider working on a spec for a project like this...as long as I was given no deadline and allowed to copy/paste fluff text so I didn't have to write everything from scratch.

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”