GM Gems: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Miniature Troll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

GM Gems: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration

Post by Miniature Troll »

Well, now that its posted on the main page here, I just wanted to start a thread up to stir the pot, so to speak. All of us contributing writers are pretty excited about this book. We really feel like GMs are going to have a great time with it. There's just so much cool stuff inside and all of it is pretty much immediately useful. This is also the first of what we hope will be a long line of products from the collective group of talented writers that make up The WereCabbages teaming up with Goodman Games.

Please let us know what you think. Yes, we have to wait until February before it's available, but if there's anything you want to ask or you just want to chime in on what you think about this book, please feel free to post it here.
Steve Greer
Lord of the Miniature Trolls
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

I love these sorts of compilations. I'm certainly looking forward to this product. As a GM, I do like to dig through a good module, but more often I just want some good ideas to kick around or to read something that helps inspire a burst of creativity to get me past a bit of writer's block, or add that extra element that's missing from a campaign.

Was there anything that had to be cut from the finished product due to space? What was the single most important theme/message you want this product to convey to GMs?
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Miniature Troll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

ynnen wrote:I love these sorts of compilations. I'm certainly looking forward to this product. As a GM, I do like to dig through a good module, but more often I just want some good ideas to kick around or to read something that helps inspire a burst of creativity to get me past a bit of writer's block, or add that extra element that's missing from a campaign.

Was there anything that had to be cut from the finished product due to space? What was the single most important theme/message you want this product to convey to GMs?
Ynnen, you're really going to like this book. It's got tables for random generation of things to fill empty rooms with, unique treasures when the generic stuff just isn't good enough, new alternate results for the rod of wonder, and a ton more. Then there's articles full of strange holidays you might use in a fantasy culture, rites of passage to explain how PCs act the way they do and how they came to be the adventurers they are, funny encounters to spring on your players when they're dozing on you, and just a ton more.

The ideas are collections of brainstorms generated by the writers (many of which you may recognize from other products, Goodman Games' and otherwise) of the WereCabbages on our private messageboard forums. We collected some of the best ones, shook out the dross, cleaned them up, and presented them all to you in this collection.

Yes, there were some that got left behind, but only because we couldn't possibly fit them all into the size book Joseph requested. We have high hopes that this book will be a smash and allow us to write Vol. 2 and Vol. 3, and so on. If there's something in particular you'd like to see in one of those books that'd help you as you're running your games, please let us know. To give you specifics of what didn't make it, would spoil the surprise for the next one, so you'll just have to wait and see, and, of course, purchase this one and spread the word so there'll BE a next one.

You asked what the single most important message/theme we wanted to convey in this book was. That's pretty simple. Overworked and underprepared GMs have a source they can look to for help in filling in all of the areas of their game in which their players catch them off guard. In other words, it's one of the best single source books a GM can have next to him when running games to be prepared for nearly any unforseen action/decision his or her players make. That's pretty much it.
Steve Greer
Daigle
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Daigle »

This book was such a blast to work on! I hope everyone that picks it up has as much fun with it as we did writing it. I only looked at the portions I worked on, so February has me anxiously awaiting the rest of it.
-Adam Daigle
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

Brilliant idea for a book. Am I right in guessing that it's aimed primarily at GMs running fantasy d20 games?
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
Daigle
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Daigle »

walrusjester wrote:Brilliant idea for a book. Am I right in guessing that it's aimed primarily at GMs running fantasy d20 games?
Yes, you would be correct.
-Adam Daigle
Miniature Troll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

As Daigle said. And while it's primarily aimed at Fantasy settings, there are some sidebars with tips on adjusting stuff to whatever setting (sci-fi and modern, for example) you use.
Steve Greer
Daigle
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Daigle »

My Mom was wondering when this would be in stores. She said that Amazon lists it for March 5th, but she wants to buy it in a real store. She's so proud...and weird. Or maybe I'm the weird one?
-Adam Daigle
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

The teaser posted on the main page is great.

This is in my "must have" group.
ephealy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ephealy »

As one of the contributors, I'm curious to hear feedback from anyone who has purchased this book. Good? Bad? Your feedback means a lot.
My name is Ed Healy, and I am the Gamerati
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: GM Gems: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration

Post by xredjasonx »

Ok, I just ordered myself a brand new copy. So, how relevant is it to 4th Edition? I know it's systems neutral and all but I'm curious....

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”