Muster - Advice for playing D&D in the wargaming way

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Johann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Muster - Advice for playing D&D in the wargaming way

Post by Johann »

Eero Tuovinen has finally finished writing Muster - A Primer for War. Advice for playing D&D the wargaming way! I excitedly reported on the project in an earlier thread.

It is now available for free at DriveThruRPG.

(It's technically pay-what-you-want so you can tip him, but he's made it clear at DriveThruRPG and elsewhere that it's free and free to share.)

It's taken longer than anticipated, but it's also grown from it's early estimated length of 50 pages to 250+ pages! Fortunately, (1) there's a brief manifesto at the beginning and (2) it's been split into a basic and advanced section.

I think it's a stellar piece of work, providing both practical advice for newcomers to this style of play and theoretical observations and surprises for its veterans as well as RPG aficionados in general.

Dungeon Crawl Classics was the first game I truly played in the wargaming way and Joseph Goodman's advice in the main book and Eero's guidance have been invaluable to me. It's awesome to see the practical how-to and in-depth why provided by this crowdfunded project!

Among other things, Eero offers a mature take on Chauvinism and D&D and penetrating observations about 'The Nihilistic Void' encroaching on long-term campaigns conducted in the wargaming way --- but judge for yourself!

Return to “Everything Else”