4e Monster Stats

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Hydra lair
Ill-Fated Peasant

4e Monster Stats

Post by Hydra lair »

Hi Everybody.

New poster. This is a really great site.

I was trying to apply the rules in the DMG to create some new 4e monsters. To check my theory on what was in the DMG, I tried to verify the rules to the monsters in the MM. I could not reproduce the AC and Defenses. :?

Are there any hard an fast rules for these characteristics or do the rules get one close and then adjust for roll, type, style, or flavor of the monster?

Thanks for any help.
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: 4e Monster Stats

Post by dulsi »

I noticed the same thing. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules about this. Instead they seem to take the base from the DMG system and then alter them a bit.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I think the latter is the case...the rules put you in the ballpark, and you eyeball from there. Always compare your new critter to something that already exists (roughly the same level and role) to check its powers and relative strength.
A good final step is to have your critter fight a few PCs, see how it stacks up.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Hydra lair
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hydra lair »

Thanks, dulsi and Jengenritz.

I appreciate your feedback.

What a horrible, wicked nightmare for a former math major to not be able to work out the numbers - sleepless nights and endless days of escaltingly complex formulas. It's evil, I tell ya. EVIL. :)
Jengenritz wrote:A good final step is to have your critter fight a few PCs, see how it stacks up.
Yes, I'll let them maul.....er, I mean, I'll test the appropriate level of difficulty on some PCs. Yes, that's it. :twisted:

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”