Lyonesse

DCC Dying Earth is both a sourcebook and a setting for the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role-Playing Game that offers a portal to the singular world of The Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance. Officially licensed by his estate, the Kickstarter will launch later in 2020 and the product will release in 2021...!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Lyonesse

Post by finarvyn »

Not strictly a DCC topic, or a Dying Earth topic, but it is a Jack Vance topic so I figured this would be a good place to start this thread.

I owned all three of the books in this series years ago in mass paperback format but never got "into" Vance at that time (plus the font size was small) so I eventually sold them unread. With the DE kickstart a while back, I started reading Vance with more enthusiasm. Recently a Lyonesse RPG (in another rules system) became the topic of discussion on another board and it got me interested in re-acquiring the books and reading them this time.

I decided to avoid the mass paperback format but instead to focus on trade paperback, and I found all three on Amazon for a decent price. They came in and I'm happy to report that the book quality is good and the font size is highly readable. The copies I bought are the "Spatterlight Press" ones which, if my memory of Goodman podcasts is accurate, is officially sanctioned by Vance's son.

I wanted to put in a plug for these books, and particularly this edition, in case any Dying Earth fans also wanted to pursue Lyonesse.

https://www.amazon.com/Suldruns-Garden- ... 619470918/

Be sure to pick "paperback" and not "mass market paperback" in order to get the Spatterlight edition. The books are 6x9" and have a distinctive silver band at the bottom that give the book's title.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DacholaEtecoon
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Trotta's Hobbies

Re: Lyonesse

Post by DacholaEtecoon »

The Spatterlight Press editions have the same text as the Integral Edition, which is the correct accurate one. I picked up those same books but haven't had the chance to read them.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Lyonesse

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Although not Dying Earth, the Lyonesse books do use a similar magic system.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC Dying Earth”