Dark Tower, spell mechanics and SRD notes?

Archived Judges Guild posts.
The_Livewire
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dark Tower, spell mechanics and SRD notes?

Post by The_Livewire »

Ah OGL Glass steel, how I love thee!
I do have a few questions about the spell and the SRD though.

1) The Legal Document itself. It says appendix 5 and 6 are open content. Unless I'm missing pages, there is no appendix 5 and 6

2) The spell description says that it breaches all material damage resistance. Isn't that a bit much?

3) Same spell doesn't list the hardness and HP of the transformed glass. Just that a craft check increases the hardness by 5.
"I never knew how empty my soul, until it was filled." - Excaliber
kgeilman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Dark Tower Glass Steel clarification

Post by kgeilman »

The_Livewire wrote:Ah OGL Glass steel, how I love thee!
I do have a few questions about the spell and the SRD though.

1) The Legal Document itself. It says appendix 5 and 6 are open content. Unless I'm missing pages, there is no appendix 5 and 6

This is obviously a typo, sorry. We had intended to seperate the appendixes out more and add more sections but alas we ran out of room and have not yet put that extra material up for pdf download. With 4E on the rise, I am not certain when this may take place. At any rate the OGL maintains that certain items made using its rules are open content. Material created entirely by the author, i.e. storyline, is copyrighted content, follow this general rule and you wont have any issue. So most magic items, spells, monsters, races (be careful) are open content.

Even if it isnt open content, Judges Guild and Eostros Games grants you the right to copy for personal use any content that you have license to (have purchased), but this does not give you legal right to transfer, give away, reproduce for sale, reproduce for electronic download or any other means of transfer without the expressed written consent of its publisher or owner.

2) The spell description says that it breaches all material damage resistance. Isn't that a bit much?

I dont believe so as the spell and material are rare, the DM could flood the market with these items but that defeats the purpose, this is a unique spell and should be found here on a scroll or in a book as the spell was developed by wizards under sets immortal curse, a normal wizard could not live long enough to develop this spell, research would take to long. You could reduce or modify what damage reductions is has in your game, but since it isnt steel and isnt any other metal, but acts like steel, it fools the damage reduction into not activating, thereby bypassing. The creatures natural defenses never persieve the weapon as a threat.

So to clarify, its limited availability, costly to make, hard to find someone skilled in crafting glass weapons (craft weapons 10 ranks, craft glassblowing 10 ranks). You can modify the spell effect as you wish and it fools natural defenses.

3) Same spell doesn't list the hardness and HP of the transformed glass. Just that a craft check increases the hardness by 5.
The spell explains that is has the same hardness and hit points of the same item made from steel and +5 to steels hardness and hit points. Hope this helps, if it doesnt, I will get the exact numbers from the DMG.

Kara Geilman
Eostros Games
Editor of Dark Tower
D20 content creator :)
Kara Geilman
Mistress of the Wilderlands
kgeilman@eostros.com
http://www.eostros.com
Life is short, live it well, today could be your last.
kgeilman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Dark Tower Glass Steel clarification

Post by kgeilman »

In regards to DR, It kinda act the way a spell does, which bypasses DR also, since it is spell bases, try use spell resistance against the sword instead of DR, that could make it interesting, of cours it would be subject to dispel magic as well.
Kara Geilman
Mistress of the Wilderlands
kgeilman@eostros.com
http://www.eostros.com
Life is short, live it well, today could be your last.
The_Livewire
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by The_Livewire »

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I was looking more at the material than the creation.

Please please post the additional material. Not all of us are 4.0 fans :-)
"I never knew how empty my soul, until it was filled." - Excaliber

Return to “Archived Judges Guild”