Designing my Funnel

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Barefoot_Adam
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Portland Game Store

Designing my Funnel

Post by Barefoot_Adam »

Hello all,

I am looking forward to starting my first DCC campaign in the next months. I was looking for a good time to try it out and with the publisher of my current game I think my players will be more willing to try a new system.

I have been able to answer most of my questions to some of the more vague parts of the book through the forum and listening to RAW (props to those folks) and binging my way through most of Spellburn before it looks like it was taken down.

I have always been a home brew kind of guy who likes to at the very least scavenge from modules if not just make things up whole cloth.

What hints to you have in the funnel design?

Things I have gleaned so far.

-Have more skill checks, saves, and atmospheric dangers vs. straight up combat.
-Have a chance for more 0 levels to join the party
-Have a chance to increase resources or show them how resources can be used from their environment.

Anything else?

Things I would like for a funnel that may blend into level 1 adventure:
- Give them a chance to cast a spell even if it is down the dice chain
-Have the funnel part last 1 session only (I worry that if players can't see what level 1 is like I will lose them quickly)

I am still a little nervous about all the things that people get nervous about with DCC 3d6 stats, race is class, low progression in the power realm. But I've already been using the crit tables for my current game so I think my players will give it a real ry.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Cheers
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Designing my Funnel

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Barefoot_Adam
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Portland Game Store

Post by Barefoot_Adam »

Quite a bit of good advice. Thank you. I'm also going to look at what you have to say about sandbox with DCC.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Barefoot_Adam wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:45 pm Quite a bit of good advice. Thank you. I'm also going to look at what you have to say about sandbox with DCC.
You are very welcome.

I find DCC to be awesome as a sandbox game. Lots of the bells & whistles are built for the sandbox, AFAICT.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”